Gibson Brands Forums

Blue Chip Picks

Sgt. Pepper

For all you Blue Chip Picks fans. Until midnight on Sunday, they are offering free shipping and free engraving on picks. I own two and really dig them.  Had mine for a few years and there is literally no wear on them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

28 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

A pick that doesn't wear sounds cool.  What do they feel like?  I have always used Fender Premium Celluloid picks because I just like how they feel between my fingers and they do last a little longer.   Anything like that? 

They feel good. Only come in ugly brown. There $35. People scoff at the price, but a lot of the guys here don't bat any eye when laying down 3k for a J-45. I use  35 thickness which is about  .9mm. All the picks on the site start at about a 40 thickness (which is in mils). You have to ask for a 35 and that is the thinnest they will go.

I had two blue chips, lost both within a year...  that's $70 / year on picks.  Now I get fender tortoise heavy 12 pack for $5.99...  usually get a couple years out of them.  $3 / year on picks.  Not once did someone say 'hey that sounds really good - is that a blue chip pick'...

Really though - I do like them.  They do work good, I just can 't keep track of them enough to justify it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I had two blue chips, lost both within a year...  that's $70 / year on picks.  Now I get fender tortoise heavy 12 pack for $5.99...  usually get a couple years out of them.  $3 / year on picks.  Not once did someone say 'hey that sounds really good - is that a blue chip pick'...

Really though - I do like them.  They do work good, I just can 't keep track of them enough to justify it.

I lost one for a day. Then realized I put it in my left pocket instead of my right. I said some bad words that day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You can drink bud or micro brews. It's a personal choice.

I understand the point you are making. But.......it's really an unfair comparison.

12 Fender mediums at $3.89 vs. 1 Blue Chip at $35.00 does not equate to a $8.98 12 pack of Budweiser vs. $ 16.00 +.

Not even close...[confused]

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brad1 said:

I understand the point you are making. But.......it's really an unfair comparison.

12 Fender mediums at $3.89 vs. 1 Blue Chip at $35.00 does not equate to a $8.98 12 pack of Budweiser vs. $ 16.00 +.

Not even close...[confused]

It is when I got my first one in 2013 still have it and it has a smidge of wear.

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It is when I got my first one in 2013 still have it and it has a smidge of wear.

Bet you still wouldn't have spent $35 on Fender picks in 7 years.  At least I wouldn't. 

57 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Bet you still wouldn't have spent $35 on Fender picks in 7 years.  At least I wouldn't. 

Get 7 years out of one and I will. I got years left on it. Probably have it until I die unless I lose it.

Here is the one I have had since 2013. The speed bevels were factory done, that is not wear. I had them put on the pointy end by the 35 and the "B "but not the "p".  I usually only play with the pointy end below the 35.

ID8Jrsh.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You can drink bud or micro brews. It's a personal choice.

I like my micro brews to taste like light beer from miller.

if I could afford a couple 12 packs of blue chips, I’d go with those.  I know my limitations, I know I’ll lose them though

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is the one I have had since 2013. The speed bevels were factory done, that is not wear. I had them put on the pointy end by the 35 and the "B "but not the "p".  I usually only play with the pointy end below the 35.

ID8Jrsh.jpg

Gotta play it, to wear it down is what I heard.  (Just bustin’ - too funny not to say it)

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I know tone chasers who have spent 20k+ on guitars, amps, pedals, speakers etc. and then use something like this to make picks. Yep, they are still chasing tone and still spending plenty. 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUEoSjTdSrd2WVcujkT

You loaned my your BC Pick. Love them. And like I said people will think nothing about dropping 3k on a J-45 or more for whatever a banner model is, and about $30 for Thomastick Infeld Strings, but $35 for a  really good pick oh my lord.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I agree, the cost of $35 pick pales compares to other upgrade options.  Most other upgrades are attached to the guitar though, or big enough where I'm not likely to lose them.   

I did ask for a set of 5 of the BC's for father's day...  so I wont fret about losing the first few anyways.

Edited by uncle fester

3 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I agree, the cost of $35 pick pales compares to other upgrade options.  Most other upgrades are attached to the guitar though, or big enough where I'm not likely to lose them.   

I did ask for a set of 5 of the BC's for father's day...  so I wont fret about losing the first few anyways.

If you get them you will take care of them and keep track of them. I own 2 now. Just don't take them out of the house. Now the clear acrylic ones from V-Picks. Drop one on the floor and spend 10 mins looking for it. But those are only $5.