Gibson Brands Forums

Converting a Tortoise Shell Pickguard to Solid Black

GerryC

Converting an Epiphone Tortoise Shell Semi-Transparent pickguard into a solid black one.

Tools required:-

Phillips screw driver.

Long nose pliers.

Large black marker pen.

Roll of Aluminium Tape (5cm/2” Wide).

Remove pickguard and then remove bracket.

Use the Black marker pen to completely cover the underside of the pickguard. Hold it up to the light to see if an extra layer with the marker pen is needed. Two applications should be more than enough.

Next use the aluminium tape to cover the underside that you have painted black with the marker pen. Two strips will cover the whole area and overlap the tape on the join as if you butt it together some light might shine through. Once done trim off the edges of the aluminium tape with sharp knife or cutter.

Turn over the pickguard and you should have a gloss black finish staring back at you.

Disclaimer: - This worked perfectly on a 2015 Sheraton II Pro pickguard on which the underside of the pickguard is a light grey colour. Obviously some film with a Tortoise Shell design is stuck on the back of the transparent pickguard and it is this that you are blacking out with the marker pen. Remember the gloss is the clear top side of the pickguard. The aluminium tape is to ensure the colour is solid and no longer transparent.

Obviously I hold no responsibility for any mishaps or damage that may happen when or if you do it to your pickguard LOL Not that I can imagine how anyone could possibly mess this up but just in case. In a word you do this entirely at your own risk and not mine.

(Note: Long nose pliers are for holding the nut on the bracket so you can adjust the pickguard and tighten up the screw while it’s on the guitar. Using a spanner/wrench is easier if you have one.)

Epiphone Sheraton Black Pickguard 1S.jpg

Why not just use black spray paint on the underside?

I used to cut my own custom pickguards out of clear acrylic and paint the underside, sometimes multicolor or designs...

Using a foil backing to protect it is a a good idea...

Edited by mihcmac

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Why not just use black spray paint on the underside?

I used to cut my own custom pickguards out of clear acrylic and paint the underside, sometimes multicolor or designs...

Using a foil backing to protect it is a a good idea...

For one I do not have a  can of black spray paint and if I did I wouldn't use it as I live in an apartment. Secondly the marker pen is much cleaner but heck anything that will turn it black will do just fine. I also suspect a marker pen is less expensive than a can of spray paint but to be honest I do not know if it is or not.  LOL 

Best,

Gerry