Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird Dilemma!

rocky_raccoon

I am in a position to buy a Gibson Hummingbird and I have my eyes set on the new original model. https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCFR6729/Hummingbird-Original/Heritage-Cherry-Sunburst

I have also been offered a used Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage from 2017 in mint condition (priced cheaper by about 500 bucks)

My understanding is the main difference is the thermally aged tops but I am having real difficulty deciding which one to get. Would love to get people's feedback which model they would pick and why..

I will be able to play the HB Original in the shops tomorrow and get a feel for it however the HB TV will be sent from abroad. Another issue I have is with the HB TV is that the serial number does not show up on Guitar Serial Project.

Thanks for reading!

I would get the True Vintage and don't look back, especially if it saves you $500! Nothing wrong with the other Hummingbird, but the TV is a step up spec-wise. Personally, I also prefer the darker color scheme of the TVs.

Good luck!

Lars

• Like 1

You rarely get a chance to play two guitars either of which you are 100% interested in purchasing , side by side.   Any other type of comparison - if one is in another country, or you can't get to it until the following weekend, trying to compare it with your recollection of how the first one sounded and felt.   So, since you say you would be happy with either - you should consider the nuts and bolts: Warranty,  $500 savings,  Return Policy,  and verification of the True Vintage designation.   If those things are a wash -  I'd not think twice and get the TV.  They're not making them anymore.   Full Disclosure:  I've had one for 6 years or so and it sounds far superior to the couple I've tried at Guitar Center years back.     As Em7 said -  consider it from a standpoint   - not so much  "Which one should I buy?"   but,  a couple of years from now -  "Which one would I regret NOT having bought?"   

6 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

and verification of the True Vintage designation.

Thanks guys. All very useful information and definite food for thought.. I am leaning towards the TV due to the upgraded specs and colour etc. My only concern is that the seller is based in a country with high humidity and this has changed the tone of the guitar. Anyone know if this is possible? The seller has however given me a very detailed processed of how he keeps his guitars in a room under 60% humidity and keeps humidity packs inside the case which are changed regularly. 

I will be heading to the Guitar shop tomorrow and try out the original and let you know how it goes and likely make a decision from there.

One quick question though.. how do I verify the True Vintage designation? 

Just now, rocky_raccoon said:

Thanks guys. All very useful information and definite food for thought.. I am leaning towards the TV due to the upgraded specs and colour etc. My only concern is that the seller is based in a country with high humidity and this has changed the tone of the guitar. Anyone know if this is possible? The seller has however given me a very detailed processed of how he keeps his guitars in a room under 60% humidity and keeps humidity packs inside the case which are changed regularly. 

I will be heading to the Guitar shop tomorrow and try out the original and let you know how it goes and likely make a decision from there.

One quick question though.. how do I verify the True Vintage designation? 

It should say on the label.

Vintage is a newer version of True Vintage.  Only difference is the V  has a 'torrified' top. Which means heated slowly over time to age it as if it were decades old, with the humidity content of the wood (and I assume it's ability to hold moisture) reduced,   And, as a result - the 'burst' is different. 

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

My previous post above is hereby deleted - it obviously misunderstood the dilemma by taking the Original for a Standard. 

Me too, I did the same mistake. However, I would still lean towards the TV, but maybe not quite as heavily. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rocky_raccoon said:

Ah ok. Can I ask why not so heavily? 

The Original is closer to the TV in spec than the Standard. So in this case, I think the main question is if the warranty of the new guitar is worth $500 to you. Either way, you are getting a wonderful guitar, and again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Standard either. I have one myself in the honey color Gibson offered back in 2026, and it's great.

Good luck!

Lars

If $500 would "break the bank," then I'd go with the TV, assuming it's exactly what you are expecting.  If the difference in price is not a deal killer and the one you can play feels very playable, feels great in your hands, is comfortable to play, and it kind of calls your name (hard to describe, but you'll know it if it does), then I'd go with that.  Either way you're spending a good chunk of money.  Get the guitar that feels like an extenstion of who you are.  I've got a Hummingbird Standard.   Haven't looked at what the specs are for a long time.  It's a great player, so the specs don't mean much.

Edited by MissouriPicker

Apologies it appears I got my model names mixed up!

So in essence I am looking to decide between a 2020 brand new HB Original (which is was used to be known as a TV) and between a 2016 HB Vintage (the top of which is thermally aged) with £500 difference. I will be able to play the brand new model tomorrow but will have to chance it on the 2016 vintage model. 

Decisions, decisions, decisions! 🙂 

38 minutes ago, rocky_raccoon said:

Apologies it appears I got my model names mixed up!

So in essence I am looking to decide between a 2020 brand new HB Original (which is was used to be known as a TV) and between a 2016 HB Vintage (the top of which is thermally aged) with £500 difference. I will be able to play the brand new model tomorrow but will have to chance it on the 2016 vintage model. 

Decisions, decisions, decisions! 🙂 

After failing in my first post I boldly try again :

So the big Qs are whether you want torrified or non-torrified top, pick-up or no pick-up.  And they actually  are quite big.

Can only second MissouriPicker - feel your way forward.

Ouh, , , and then there is the aestheticss of the Pickguard.  Another highly personal choice. 

13 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

torrified or non-torrified top

I think this is the big decision for me. Is there a significant difference in sound between the two? 

I will be mainly playing at home so not much need for pickups. I did not realise the pick guards were different though.. More food for thought! 

22 minutes ago, rocky_raccoon said:

I think this is the big decision for me. Is there a significant difference in sound between the two? 

I will be mainly playing at home so not much need for pickups. I did not realise the pick guards were different though.. More food for thought! 

Especially if you sit at home where the possibility to get into the deeper nature of the creatures is optimal, the difference will be significant. Though tried fx on these pages many times, it's pretty hard to describe - and both can be terrific. 

Btw. the best way to really understand your acoustic guitar is to

1  be by yourself and then sharpen all senses - without bein' afraid of reaching a point where you almost step out of this realm. 

2  sit face to face and play with a good friend - then once in a while switch instruments and hear your own axe from the front while evaluating the difference between your own and the one you now have between your hands. 

You should tell us which way your choice falls, , , or rises. How/why and so forth, , , it's good stuff. .