Gibson Brands Forums

Want a 12 string around the same vintage as my SJ CW, is this a deal?

jsghome

Great looking CW you have and I really like the case as well.

I had bid up to a little over $500 for this B25 12 string. I'd like to get it myself but really can't afford much more then whats already been bid. I see this one going much higher. Good luck, should you decide to get it.

Don't want to be British and boring buit just a note of mild caution.

Albertjohn and I went to London a while back seeking a 12 for him.

We tried several B25 BTB and I was amazed at the variation even down to neck "depth"

This looks Ok usual crazing etc but I do feel in this market that it is all of it's money.

If you could feel it before committing then thats another matter

Used 12s are risky business, just because you've got no idea what string gauges prior owners used, if they tuned to std pitch or not, and, consequently, if its on the verge of falling apart, or not. Bahgahn prices could signal problems (high end for good examples of these is are 1k +/-).

Now, if you are looking for a mate for that SJ, a B45-12 (D-size body) would be a better fit anyway. Same caveats apply. Or, for that matter, a Guild 12 (if it doesnt have to be a Gibson), which, according to forum comments, have a better track record (btw, Leo Kottke was a fan of the slope version of the B45, not the square shoulder). Sorry for the buzzkill

Don't want to be British and boring buit just a note of mild caution.

Albertjohn and I went to London a while back seeking a 12 for him.

We tried several B25 BTB and I was amazed at the variation even down to neck "depth"

This looks Ok usual crazing etc but I do feel in this market that it is all of it's money.

If you could feel it before committing then thats another matter

Agreed. We tried 3 Gibsons that day I think all of similar vintage. If I'm honest I was disappointed with all of them. The nearly new basic Taylor we tried was a much better sounding and way better playing guitar and I was very tempted but luckily was not in a position to pull the trigger then.

But I'm not one for vintage so please bear this in mind. This one (this thread) looks a beauty though but as Jkinnama and Johnt say, proceed with caution. There's far more risk with a 12er. Play before you pay!

I'm very happy with the Tak until I persaud my teacher to sell me his 185-12 which is a totally bloody excellent guitar!

For me, the case tells the whole story on this guitar. It has seen weather, temperature and humidity variations and spent some time under the bed I think as well.

When the case looks like this, you have to be suspicious of the contents.

Someone else mentioned that a typical value for this guitar in good shape is a bit more than $1000 - yet for $800 or so you can get a similar vintage Guild. The Guilds are the absolute prince of 12-string guitars, in my opinion, and I would encourage you to find a vintage shop with Guild and Gibson in stock before fixing on this one.

The adjustable rosewood saddle is a point for jury duty, too. Some of us here are OK with this bridge type and others - like me - would replace the bridge and saddle with traditional slot and bone/tusq to maximize tonality. Again, if you buy a similar vintage Guild, this is already done.

For me' date=' the case tells the whole story on this guitar. It has seen weather, temperature and humidity variations and spent some time under the bed I think as well.

When the case looks like this, you have to be suspicious of the contents.

Someone else mentioned that a typical value for this guitar in good shape is a bit more than $1000 - yet for $800 or so you can get a similar vintage Guild. The Guilds are the absolute prince of 12-string guitars, in my opinion, and I would encourage you to find a vintage shop with Guild and Gibson in stock before fixing on this one.

The adjustable rosewood saddle is a point for jury duty, too. Some of us here are OK with this bridge type and others - like me - would replace the bridge and saddle with traditional slot and bone/tusq to maximize tonality. Again, if you buy a similar vintage Guild, this is already done.

[/quote']

Never considered a Guild before, and found this one, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUILD-F212-Vintage-1965-12-String-Acoustic-w-Case-XLNT_W0QQitemZ200320349911QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item200320349911&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1729%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

JSG--yeh, the F112 and F212 small jumbo 12s are fairly well regarded. Balanced clear sound. The ones Ive handled played well.

And Guilds tended to hold up pretty good over the years.

Id be asking the seller if he keeps the thing tuned in standard and what strings he uses. Consensus seems to be that if you tune a 12 to std, an extra light set should be used. If he's in std with std strings, could spell trouble. J

Archived