Gibson Brands Forums

61 year old newby

abelville

Hi everyone,

Love reading all the shared info you all post.   I've been married to my child hood sweetheart for 41 years now and have 4 grandchildren.     I've played since 10 years old, and by gum - I'm almost an intermediate level player after 51 years.   Ha!!!   I've had some real nice instruments in my years,   Martin HD28 (sold to pay bills),  Martin 000-15, Guild D40 (1985), .......... and now I just have a Maritime Seagull Concert Hall, and my new Epiphone Hummingbird Pro.    (which is more like  what I deserve - maybe).   Anyway, I'm hoping someone out there can answer a question I have on the 2020 Epiphone Hummingbird:   Is the fretboard just plywood, with Pao Ferro wood veneer over top.   If it is - IT IS.   I wear frets out quickly, and have always replaced them myself as needed.   Thats why I'm wondering whats under the hood.   I'd hate to pull up a giant veneer wood chip while re- fretting.   thanks!

Al

Hello and welcome

I'm not an expert, but looking at the spec I VERY much doubt that the fingerboard is just a veneer. 

It may not be very thick but surely it wouldn't be any more economic for them to do that.

Best wishes!

Welcome aboard.  Wish I could help you, but I know very little about acoustics.  You may want to post your question to the Epiphone Acoustics forum.  You’ll probably have better luck getting a helpful response there.  Good luck.

9 hours ago, abelville said:

Hi everyone,

Love reading all the shared info you all post.   I've been married to my child hood sweetheart for 41 years now and have 4 grandchildren.     I've played since 10 years old, and by gum - I'm almost an intermediate level player after 51 years.   Ha!!!   I've had some real nice instruments in my years,   Martin HD28 (sold to pay bills),  Martin 000-15, Guild D40 (1985), .......... and now I just have a Maritime Seagull Concert Hall, and my new Epiphone Hummingbird Pro.    (which is more like  what I deserve - maybe).   Anyway, I'm hoping someone out there can answer a question I have on the 2020 Epiphone Hummingbird:   Is the fretboard just plywood, with Pao Ferro wood veneer over top.   If it is - IT IS.   I wear frets out quickly, and have always replaced them myself as needed.   Thats why I'm wondering whats under the hood.   I'd hate to pull up a giant veneer wood chip while re- fretting.   thanks!

Al

Solid Spruce Top. Mahogany Neck and Body. Epiphone stands behind every guitar they make! At least from what I read. 

On 6/16/2020 at 7:25 AM, abelville said:

thanks much everyone.   I'm changing the nut to a tusq 1.72".   I guess I'll see what the deal is .  

God Bless!

Al

I read on line that Tusq was actually harder than bone.  The guy demonstrating it, showed he could slightly bend the bone, but not the tusk.  I wouldn't mind to add it to my guitars.