Gibson Brands Forums

Scratch Repair

Djhblues

Hello all,

I have a small but fairly deep scratch in the back of my ES-Les Paul. The finish is nitrocellulose. Has anyone had good success in repairing  a scratch , and could recommend a product? Thanks in advance./ I can post a picture soon.

I

17 hours ago, Djhblues said:

Hello all,

I have a small but fairly deep scratch in the back of my ES-Les Paul. The finish is nitrocellulose. Has anyone had good success in repairing  a scratch , and could recommend a product? Thanks in advance./ I can post a picture soon.

I

I'd take it to a pro if you are not familiar with finishing guitars.

can you post a photo at all?  Seeing how deep it went may help to give better advice.

Stew Mac has some Nitro "pens" that you may be able to get color match on for a Gibson finish.  I have fixed a few "AH CRAP!!!"moments  with these.

yea, that's a ruff one.

Check out Eterna Shine Players kit.  There are two solutions in the kit,  one is to remove the heavier damage, the second is for final buffing.

it may not make it go away, but it might make it less noticeable.  And sometimes that's enough to live with if it is really bugging the crap out of you.

I've kind of put the guitar up because it bugs me so much to see it. I've been down the Youtube rabbit hole on scratch repair and watched a number of videos and reviews of this stuff, and may try it.  Nitro is a whole different animal for sure. Got a luthier that Ive been going to for decades , and will get his opinion.

Thanks for the reply.