Gibson Brands Forums

Gig bag for 67 B-25?

JPMTO

On 6/21/2020 at 2:18 AM, QuestionMark said:

Good to see another taking his request serious.  However, as I mentioned in my earlier post, he should be careful about buying just any classical guitar size gig bag for a B-25.  Though their  bodies are similar, a traditional classical guitar has 12 frets to the neck while a B-25 has 14 frets to the neck and many traditional classical guitar size gig bags will be too short for a B-25.  They are interchangeable only if it is a gig bag that does not fit a classical guitar snug, because the neck portion would be too short for the B-25.  (My classical guitar’s gig bag does not fit my LG-1 for this reason.)    Double check the measurements of your guitar against any gig bag being considered to ensure it’s length is adequate for your B25.  FYI, the gig bag link  I provided in my earlier post will fit a B-25 (you can use its measurements as a guide if you do not like that particular bag.  The measurements are shown somewhere in the link. )

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Interesting that you see so much difference. My classical (Manuel Rodriguez) and my LG-0 are about 1/2" different from the end block to the tip of the headstock, with the classical actually being slightly longer. My WolfPak soft case has about an inch left with the classical, and the hardshell has maybe two.

Edited by pohatu771

I stand corrected.  I just went and tried my 1965 Epiphone FT 30 Caballero (the Kalamazoo Epi version of the LG0), measuring 41 inches and it does not fit into either my classical guitar’s case or my classical guitar’s gig bag.   Unfortunately, that is what I was basing my info on as the Caballero’s body size is identical to the LG0 , LG1, and LG2.

HOWEVER, and this is where I stand corrected.  Just now, with the doubt you raised, I just went and tried my 1965 Gibson LG1 ( same measurements as a vintage LG2) and it DOES fit into my classical guitar case and gig bag.  Snug.  But, it fits.

Why/how?  I measured my 1965 Epi FT30 Caballero and because the Epi headstock is one inch longer than the Gibson LG1’s headstock, the Epiphone version of the same series of guitars makes it not fit into a classical case or gig bag.  The Gibson LG1’s headstock, being an inch shorter, makes it fit the classical guitar case and gig bag.

One of my classical guitars measures 39 inches in length, and a different one measures 40 inches, the LG1 (same as the LG2’s length) measures 40 inches, the Epiphone FT30 Caballero measures 41 inches.   And, here I always thought the Kalamazoo made Gibson And Epi LG equivalents were identical.  Apparently not.

So I stand corrected.  The LG2, like my LG1, and like your LG0 will fit a classical case or gig bag. 

i should have tried the LG1 rather than the Epi FT30 Caballero to test if the LG2 would fit.  I didn’t anticipate that Kalamazoo made Epi’s Caballero headstock was slightly longer than the Kalamazoo made Gibson LG headstock.  Guess I’m still learning stuff.

Thanks for challenging what I wrote to get me to double check.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

The Epiphone headstock makes a big difference. I just had my LG-0 repaired, but if the repair was much more than it ended up being I had a pristine Caballero lined up to replace it - and it might not have fit my case, it turns out.

I'm on the lookout for a Cortez (I missed a few earlier in the spring), so that's something for me to remember.

• 2 weeks later...