Gibson Brands Forums

New Bob Dylan LP - 'Rough and Rowdy Ways'

northcntryblues

I think that it's very difficult to get a handle on any new album until it seeps into the psyche for a time.

We tend to favour the familiar- it feels "at home" in our subconscious.

There have been albums that took me some time to come to terms with.The new edges had to be worn down a bit until it felt less unsettling.

Jimi Hendrix's first album had me flummoxed at first listening until I played "Hey Joe". I then had a reference point of a blues song  I vaguely knew and it quided me as to what he was doing- then things started to make sense;like learning a new language.

Other albums (or songs) came on like gangbusters and then died a quick death.Too many to get into.

The jury's still out for me on this one although I find it easier to assimilate than others have been.His voice is less ghoulish here and the arrangements are non-threatening.

Time will tell.

As for my favourites: B on B,Highway 61,JWH, Blood on the Tracks and some of the old Basement Bootlegs come to mind.

I've seen him live a few times and he can be a frustrating live act but-hey-it's Bobby Z. and you take what you get from an uncompromising minstrel who seems to be just visiting this planet.

• Like 2