Gibson Brands Forums

J45/J50 50s Original

Sacdubro

I'm interested if anyone has  had an opportunity to play a J45/J50 Original ?   Curious  about the neck shape profile and its playability.   Placed an order for a J50 waiting for it to be built. Gibson Bozeman team returned back to work a few weeks ago with backorders to fill.

24 minutes ago, slimt said:

For the money they want for these. I would  prefer a original one.   Thats just me. 

Those Original 1950s models have a list price of $2700 US on the Gibson Acoustic website. That's pretty good. You'd be hard-pressed to find a real 1950's model for that.

The 60's Original models don't come with pickups, and are $200 less, so the $200 difference is basically just the additional cost of the pickup in the 50s models. The 60s Original models have an adjustable saddle and the 60s-style two-ring rosette, but otherwise appear to be pretty much the same as the 1950s Original models.

Both the 50's Original and 60's Original have what is described as a round neck shape. That could mean virtually anything, since the "real" 1950s-60s necks were dramatically different from each other.

From an external appearance perspective the 50s Original models look very much like their 60+-year-old ancestors. Under the hood, however, the new Originals have scalloped bracing like other modern  slope-J models, unlike the "real" 1955-1959 these guitars nominally replicate.

Does anyone know what the "Unitone" finish on the back and sides of the  50s and 60s  "original J-50 models means? Some of the "real" originals had an unstained back and sides, while others had the same dark walnut stains as the J-45.

48 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Those Original 1950s models have a list price of $2700 US on the Gibson Acoustic website. That's pretty good. You'd be hard-pressed to find a real 1950's model for that.

The 60's Original models don't come with pickups, and are $200 less, so the $200 difference is basically just the additional cost of the pickup in the 50s models. The 60s Original models have an adjustable saddle and the 60s-style two-ring rosette, but otherwise appear to be pretty much the same as the 1950s Original models.

Both the 50's Original and 60's Original have what is described as a round neck shape. That could mean virtually anything, since the "real" 1950s-60s necks were dramatically different from each other.

From an external appearance perspective the 50s Original models look very much like their 60+-year-old ancestors. Under the hood, however, the new Originals have scalloped bracing like other modern  slope-J models, unlike the "real" 1955-1959 these guitars nominally replicate.

Does anyone know what the "Unitone" finish on the back and sides of the  50s and 60s  "original J-50 models means? Some of the "real" originals had an unstained back and sides, while others had the same dark walnut stains as the J-45.

The original ones are pricey , Eg. What ever the US list is , thats pretty much what they sell for in Canada.  
 I just bought a 55 J45  for 3000 cdn   , not in bad shape either.      so I guess its just where you are searching and who you plan on buying from.  If your going to buy from a store.   Your going to pay premium for what ever they have.    I bought a 67 sj  a month ago. For a whole 1400 cdn. So there are deals out there. . 

The list is price of the original models are consistent with the J45 standard.  Gibson has always positioned  its self as a premium  brand.  Fortunately, there are some dealers that offer  discounted prices with free shipping without sales tax.  The downside is that buying site unseen.  In regards to buying used or vintage.  I did consider buying a preowned but pricing was  higher on the ones I would consider.   

On 6/20/2020 at 5:50 PM, Sacdubro said:

I'm interested if anyone has  had an opportunity to play a J45/J50 Original ?   Curious  about the neck shape profile and its playability.   Placed an order for a J50 waiting for it to be built. Gibson Bozeman team returned back to work a few weeks ago with backorders to fill.

I had the chance to play a J45 50s version while I was looking for a keeper. The neck is thicker than on the J45 Standard, but not much. It feels rounder, just like a C profile. I really didn't mind it. Soundwise, I remember it being fairly loud, boomy and with singing trebles. A little less warm than the Standard, but a bigger dynamic range. Reminded me a lot of a Martin D-18 I played before. But then again, the next J45 50s could have been so different in its tonal character. Oh - and I ended up with a Standard 🙂

Pat

Pat,

Thanks for impressions on the 50s J45 Original you had an opportunity demo.  I prefer fuller neck profiles good to hear you found it to be agreeable.  You're right in regards to the tonal aspects on that guitar vs the next like model they may share similar qualities but each will be unique.  Congrats on your new J-45 Standard.

The wait continues...

• Like 1