Gibson Brands Forums

The Temptation Is Great... Should I Do It?

Leonard McCoy

6 minutes ago, slimt said:

What model is this?   Is it a richlite board with the brass surrounds ? Theres a Gibson Regal model with this. 

The model is for you lot to guess. I said elsewhere I would not be opposed to a Richlite fretboard (quite the contrary) so I'm just putting my money where my mouth is. Yes, those are mother-of-pearl split diamonds with brass borders, but it's not the Regal.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

16 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

The model is for you lot to guess. I said elsewhere I would not be opposed to a Richlite fretboard (quite the contrary) so I'm just putting my money where my mouth is. Yes, those are mother-of-pearl split diamonds with brass borders, but it's not the Regal.

I'm guessing not a Martin. Custom job?

2 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

I've looked at a Hummingbird Regal online at least a dozen times, but have resisted because of the Richlite. Why? Probably because a huge majority of the comments I see on it is off-putting. I'm a big boy and like what I like. Yet here I am.

30 minutes ago, PatriotsBiker said:

You forgot gaudy.

PB we just gotta own up to the fact that we own gaudy guitars. 

I cry myself to sleep every night knowing I own one.

And the audacity of Stephen Stills and Neil Young owning an even more gaudy D-45.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sacdubro said:

Looks like it may be a J45 Deluxe Rosewood ?

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCGBH714/J-45-Deluxe-Rosewood/Rosewood-Burst

I agree. It's listed as ebony board. It is tempting.

front-300_600.pngneck-side-500_500.png

hardware-500_500.pngback-neck-500_500.png

back-neck-500_500.png

Body

Body Shape
J-45
Sitka spruce
Back
Rosewood
Side
Rosewood
Bracing
Traditional hand-scalloped X-bracing
Binding
Multi-colored rope top, single-ply back
Finish
Nitrocellulose

Neck

Material
Mahogany
Slim Taper
Scale Length
24.75" / 628.65mm
Fingerboard Material
Ebony
Fingerboard Radius
12"
Number Of Frets
Frets
Gold
Nut Material
Bone
Nut Width
1.72" / 43.81mm
Inlays
Mother-of-pearl split diamond with brass border
Joint
Compound Dovetail Neck-to-body

Hardware

Tuner Plating
Gold
Bridge
Traditional belly up
Saddle Material
Bone
Tuning Machines
Grover Rotomatic w/ kidney buttons
Pickguard
Tear drop with gold border
Truss Rod Cover
Deluxe
Bridge Pins
Tusq

Electronics

Under Saddle Pickup
LR Baggs™ VTC
Controls
1 Volume, 1 Tone

Miscellaneous

Strings
0.053, 0.042, 0.032, 0.024, 0.016, 0.012
Case
Gibson Hardshell
Accessories
Includes Gibson Accessory Kit

I have a 2002 J-45 Rosewood (ebony board & bridge), and the tone absolutely knocks me out - dry & woody to the max with depth & resonance.  So the model shown above has that particular combo going for it, but aesthetically it seems like an odd mish-mash of randomly combined high-end features.

It's like someone said, "Well, we don't typically do that or that or that on a J-45, so let's throw 'em all on there."

Guess it just looks kinda disjointed to my eye, but tonally I'd assume it's got great potential. 

"Bling'  has negative connotations.  I'd prefer to call them 'appointments'.    I've had  a similar looking J-45 Custom,  but in Koa. for4 years. Absolutely ove it.  I did get Colosi bridge pins wi/ abalone insets to blend with or complement the rosette.  If  you  need/want a J45RW - this is the only way to go.  Especially with the Ebony fretboard.   

My dislike of abalone on guitars does help keep me out of trouble.  But I just realized that my original thin the herd pledge was two out for every one in.    As I have now divested myself of six guitars and only snagged one that means I am yet entitled to two more guitars.  That, of course, is in numbers.  If I kept the value even I am royally screwed.  The one thing I really do feel the need to do though is to buy something newish.  There is a certain comfort that comes with lack of age which I found  with my former one and only Bozeman -made Gibson.   I kind of would like to get that feeling back.

11 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

My dislike of abalone on guitars does help keep me out of trouble.  But I just realized that my original thin the herd pledge was two out for every one in.    As I have now divested myself of six guitars and only snagged one that means I am yet entitled to two more guitars.  That, of course, is in numbers.  If I kept the value even I am royally screwed.  The one thing I really do feel the need to do though is to buy something newish.  There is a certain comfort that comes with lack of age which I found  with my former one and only Bozeman -made Gibson.   I kind of would like to get that feeling back.

What can I interest you in?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Dave F said:

What can I interest you in?

You already let go of one I was craving - the Jackson Browne.  I tell you what though.  As you have pretty good taste in guitars, PM me a list of anything you are interested in saying goodbye to.  

Gotta love it! Real honest to goodness guitar sale discussions, and mostly tactful and polite exchanges of preferences and personal tastes. Just like how we taught our kids to behave - or at least tried.

I can't help but wonder what percentage of us are in herd adjustment mode compared to normal.

The bluegrass state ain't too far from the tarheel state. Of course, these are a couple of wicked long states we're talking about.