Gibson Brands Forums

Do you love your tone?

Bluemoon

So how satisfied are you with the tone that you can coax out of your LP through your main amp? In recent months I've really started to love the tone of my LP and Fender Blues Jr. NOS. I am not sure if it the speaker in the amp that has finally broken in (after about six months of use) or that the addition of some new caps in my Standard-or a combination of the both.

Either way, I am loving my tone--especially after adding a slight touch of MXR Carbon Copy analog delay to the mix. I mostly play clean.

I was thinking about this when I woke up this morning, actually. Yes, I love my tone. I really can't imagine improving on it from where I am now, since I've essentially reached the tone(s) I have in my head.

Here's the problem with it though: the joy of chasing it is no longer there - and that's something I thoroughly enjoyed for more than a couple decades (really from about the first time I plugged in my first pedal and thought "hmmm, that doesn't sound right..."). Don't get me wrong...I mean, it's nice to focus 100% on playing as opposed to my tone...but it's kind of akin to reaching the Presidency or an equivalent in so far that there is nothing left to work on w/that element.

I was thinking about this when I woke up this morning' date=' actually. Yes, I love my tone. I really can't imagine improving on it from where I am now, since I've essentially reached the tone(s) I have in my head.

Here's the problem with it though: the joy of chasing it is no longer there - and that's something I thoroughly enjoyed for more than a couple decades (really from about the first time I plugged in my first pedal and thought "hmmm, that doesn't sound right..."). Don't get me wrong...I mean, it's nice to focus 100% on playing as opposed to my tone...but it's kind of akin to reaching the Presidency or an equivalent in so far that there is nothing left to work on w/that element.

[/quote']

Crossroadsnyc,

You have the Marshall Vintage Modern dont you? Any good blues settings/recommendations?

Regards

Flight959

Crossroadsnyc' date='

You have the Marshall Vintage Modern dont you? Any good blues settings/recommendations?

Regards

Flight959[/quote']

Hey Flight,

yeah, I have the 50W combo though - not the 100W head like yours. I'm pretty simple w/my settings...the easiest to explain would be the tone knobs, which I keep all of them at 6...that's right, 666...(I keep the tone knob on my 1974x at 6 as well). For the reverb, I keep it around 3 or 4...not too much, but just a little influence. The body/detail knobs are either kept at 3 & 5 respectively, or 6 & 8 respectively. I prefer the mid-boost activated. Volume level depends on where I'm playing of course, but I like to keep it at least above 5 when permitted. As for the dynamic range, it really depends on my mood and the style I'm playing...I have a tendency to go back and forth really. Oh, and sometimes I'll also punch it w/a little clean boost just for kicks.

I should mention that I actually use the same settings on the amp whether I'm playing through my LP or my Strat.

I love my VM...it's one of the best amps I've ever played through (maybe the 2nd best ever...really)...that said, I didn't really find my tone nirvana until I bought the 1974x...I just love the simplicity and tone I get from it. I find now that if I'm playing my LP I tend to use the 1974x, and if I'm playing the Strat I'll go w/the VM more often than not.

What settings are you using the most? Ridiculously great amp, right?

*edit - when did the above become a dirty word?

Hey Flight' date='

yeah, I have the 50W combo though - not the 100W head like yours. I'm pretty simple w/my settings...the easiest to explain would be the tone knobs, which I keep all of them at 6...that's right, 666...(I keep the tone knob on my 1974x at 6 as well). For the reverb, I keep it around 3 or 4...not too much, but just a little influence. The body/detail knobs are either kept at 3 & 5 respectively, or 6 & 8 respectively. I prefer the mid-boost activated. Volume level depends on where I'm playing of course, but I like to keep it at least above 5 when permitted. As for the dynamic range, it really depends on my mood and the style I'm playing...I have a tendency to go back and forth really. Oh, and sometimes I'll also punch it w/a little clean boost just for kicks.

I should mention that I actually use the same settings on the amp whether I'm playing through my LP or my Strat.

I love my VM...it's one of the best amps I've ever played through (maybe the 2nd best ever...really)...that said, I didn't really find my tone nirvana until I bought the 1974x...I just love the simplicity and tone I get from it. I find now that if I'm playing my LP I tend to use the 1974x, and if I'm playing the Strat I'll go w/the VM more often than not.

What settings are you using the most? Ridiculously great amp, right? [/quote']

Yeah great amp..

Believe it or not I use the "suggested settings" that the Amp comes with I think they are great . My main problem is I dont Gig (Dont have the time) so I havent had the chance to push the amp to a realistic volume level so I havent really played around with it... I like the Slash settings which I got from the VM forums...

High dynamic range

Mid Boost out

Body = 9 o'clock

Detail = 12:30

Treble = Noon

Middle = 2 o'clock

Bass = 1:30

Presence = Just before Noon

Master Vol = 9 o'clock

Reverb = off

I have the 2266 Head which is the 50Watt version of the 2466...

Regards

Flight959

Guitar to the Guv'nor into the clean channel.

Delay and chorus in the Loop

Hughes & Kettner Half stack.

Recorded on a POS Cannon SD600...

In person it's heavenly...

Sounds heavenly on the net too!

Flight959

Guitar to the Guv'nor into the clean channel.

Delay and chorus in the Loop

Hughes & Kettner Half stack.

Recorded on a POS Cannon SD600...

In person it's heavenly...

I really like it. I'm really impressed w/that Guv'nor...is that the original or II? Definitely the best clip I've heard of one.

Yeah great amp..

Believe it or not I use the "suggested settings" that the Amp comes with I think they are great . My main problem is I dont Gig (Dont have the time) so I havent had the chance to push the amp to a realistic volume level so I havent really played around with it... I like the Slash settings which I got from the VM forums...

High dynamic range

Mid Boost out

Body = 9 o'clock

Detail = 12:30

Treble = Noon

Middle = 2 o'clock

Bass = 1:30

Presence = Just before Noon

Master Vol = 9 o'clock

Reverb = off

I have the 2266 Head which is the 50Watt version of the 2466...

Regards

Flight959

Yeah, the suggested settings are great too! I was very surprised when I fired it up for the first time on them. Don't you have a Slash signature LP as well? Nice combination!

Sorry about getting the model wrong...but I thought I read in your signature that you have the 2466...my bad.

Hello to all,

I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with either a orig. Tube Screamer or a DS-1. Even on 12, the Fender lacks balls and bottom end. It just gets muddy. The Treble=7 Bass=5-6-ish. Middle is in the middle. And Presence=7-8ish. I use a Les Paul or a Strat, and both are like that. Any help?

Hello to all' date='

I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with either a orig. Tube Screamer or a DS-1. Even on 12, the Fender lacks balls and bottom end. It just gets muddy. The Treble=7 Bass=5-6-ish. Middle is in the middle. And Presence=7-8ish. I use a Les Paul or a Strat, and both are like that. Any help? [/quote']

On the controls of your amp, I'd back off on both the treble as well as the presence, and push up both the bass and mids. I'd even start at the extremes, meaning dime the bass and mids, and then completely roll off the treble and presence. At that point start to work backward in small increments until you find a tone that you really like...does that make sense?

As for your pedals, neither is really ideal for what you are looking for overall...which is to say they both lack any kind of bottom end. If you are ok with new gear, you might want to consider getting a new pedal...I'd be looking for something that is voiced toward the Marshall sound. There are a good number of them available, and I'm quite sure this will help you out tremendously.

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a nice amp, and from what I have experienced, takes pedals very well...so it can be very versatile. I'm not a huge fan of the overdrive/higher gain option on that amp, so I really think it deserves a nice pedal to push it.

I should have asked this first, but what tones do you admire? Is there an example of someone you like that I could perhaps try and suggest a good pedal for you to take for a spin?

The best tone I ever found was my LP Deluxe (mini-Seymour Duncans) through a '67 Super Reverb. Regrettably, the amp belongs to a friend and he won't sell. So I got a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight and it's damn near indistinguishable from the Super. So, yes, I'm happy.

I don't use pedals (except for a Floor Pod Plus I got for the wah) so I tend to mix and match guitars and amps. Lester goes into the JM, my 335 sings through a Blues Jr NOS, and --as I just discovered tonight -- my SG wants to boogie with my modified Pignose G40V.

But the Les Paul is not picky: it never fails to sound good, but some combinations make you wonder why you even plug into other amps.

Just more proof that it's not just the guitar, it's the guitar + the amp.

Archived