Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Neck Joints

CBenson89

How sturdy are the neck joints in Les pauls? I am trying to baby my new standard I mean can I pick it up by the neck joint with one hand and it will be okay or is that bad for the guitar?  I have no qualms picking up my sg by the neck joint because it’s so light but I was just curious.  Thanks for the feedback!

I guess I meant more can I pick it up by the neck joint and twist it  around or hold it parallel to the ground one handed at the neck joint.  So I can hold it up with one hand by the neck joint while I put my strap on.  I’ve also seen videos of people playing les Paul’s and jumping around and I feel like what would put a lot of stress on the guitar since it’s so heavy idk lol.  Just trying to not hurt my purchase lol

Sounds like you are doing yoga with your guitars???  😉   

If I have to hold one of my LPs like that I hold it in the cut away area of the body...  Failing that you could always get some strap locks, or just put the strap on in the case...

I have never once heard of a neck snapping off put it that way.. Well unless you are Pete Townsend?????  :-k

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

All 4 of my LP's neck joints just snapped while sitting in their stands. I guess I was doing something wrong.

The next one though is hopefully  gonna be a good one.

Your necks all broke from sitting on their stands?

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

All 4 of my LP's neck joints just snapped while sitting in their stands. I guess I was doing something wrong.

The next one though is hopefully  gonna be a good one.

LOL!!  I certainly hope so,, hey the odds are in your favor!

(...don't mind him folks,  he's a kidder... )

7 minutes ago, CBenson89 said:

Your necks all broke from sitting on their stands?

HA!  Na,, .. I think he's doing a bit of chain yankin... 

Edited by kidblast
  • Haha 1

Never ever had an issue with any Gibson neck ever. Not sure if mine were long or short tenon's.  I've had SG's, LP's, an Explorer, a 335, a BB King, a J-15, and a The Paul. All solid.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

that looks ok to my eyes,, if it was a seam crack/separation it would look a lot more obvious

these guitars are much more durable than what  you're worrying about.  there are "tenons" that go into the body which you cannot see.

Don't fret (ha! see what I did there) about that neck joint.   what is fragile with a set neck setup like this is up at the nut / headstock region.  not just gibson  any guitar built that way,, that's the weakest spot..  

word to the wise,  don't drop it!  Strap locks, always, never leave a cable plugged in to the output jack,  just be mindful of where you keep it when it's not in the case.. which is the safest place when not playing it.

Edited by kidblast

That looks good too?  Last question I swear. I guess I’m just worried because my SG neck looks completely sealed all the way around.  Sorry for the poor image quality I couldn’t post a better photo because of size restraints.

1260C950-9F1C-486A-B283-D564C61C90EF.jpeg

Edited by CBenson89