Gibson Brands Forums

The Wow Factor - Evolution of an Enthusiast - Confessional

BoSoxBiker

While I don’t want to burst your balloon, PB, for your ‘studio hobby’ as you call it, a small body guitar with a nice balanced sound is must!

So, add another guitar to your list.....or 2, 3.....  Or gasp!!! - buy a small body instead of another dread!

Gibson L-00, Martin 00, Lowden S for example.....and up the ladder of overtones to the max. Just play to a mic with ALL EQ dead flat and capture those sounds easily. (ish)....  As soon as you start recording a dread, you are cutting the thing you like most because it causes boom and rattles and buzzes and all kinds of problems - yep, the bass! Same playing live, press the various EQ filters to stop the rumble!

BluesKing777.

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

While I don’t want to burst your balloon, PB, for your ‘studio hobby’ as you call it, a small body guitar with a nice balanced sound is must!

So, add another guitar to your list.....or 2, 3.....  Or gasp!!! - buy a small body instead of another dread!

Gibson L-00, Martin 00, Lowden S for example.....and up the ladder of overtones to the max. Just play to a mic with ALL EQ dead flat and capture those sounds easily. (ish)....  As soon as you start recording a dread, you are cutting the thing you like most because it causes boom and rattles and buzzes and all kinds of problems - yep, the bass! Same playing live, press the various EQ filters to stop the rumble!

BluesKing777

BK, my buddy from down under, did you forget my studio room build? Over a dozen packs/rolls of insulation? 26 Panels, clouds and gobos plus one giant bass-sucking closet trap? That a ton of  of acoustic treatment left me the opposite problem of adding enough reflection and diffusion to be a decent live room for this use. It's getting there.

All of that aside, you'd be spot on.  My guitars used to be so awful in that room.

I've only owned one Taylor.  Kept it a few months (never could get myself to wear the free Roman Toga they gave with it) and sold it........Seriously, Taylor makes great instruments, but for me, they simply are not "me."  They're beautiful, pristine guitars, with a clean and bright sound.  I'm not beautiful, pristine, clean, and certainly not very bright.  Guitars are a very personal instrument and I feel that Gibsons are an extension of who I am---it's the sound, it's the look, it's the feel, it's the names of those who have added to the Gibson legend..   I can bond with Gibsons in a manner that I can't with Taylors and most other brands.  There might be a couple Martins or Guilds still around, but aside from that I'm only interested in Gibsons.  Am I missing-out on some great guitars?  Yeah, likely so, but we buy what we like..

I've done a lot of online demo watching and listening. It's the sign of the times on so many levels. Online shopping. Can't feel the guitar. Can't hear it. It is especially difficult when your #1 set of cans goes down with a faulty 3.5mm jack. There ain't nuttin' like waiting on a $5 piece come in so that you can resume online test drives of $5k - $6.5k guitars. I'm not whining. More like laughing out loud at a modern-day frustration. Me and my Maple SJ-200 are having a good week together.

Even online, that sound translates. I heard a few nice alternatives. Certainly not every Gibson I heard was up my alley. Lots of thin sounding or dull sounding options even among some big hitters with great examples around. Every single Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo I heard sounded fantastic. Most Hummingbird and J-45 Regals I heard sounded great. Lots of the the Hummingbird Quilted Maple backs did, too, and such stunners to see even pictures of.  Almost bring a tear to one's eye. I mean aside from one of the dogs farting this afternoon. 

The videos on the new Historic series are few and far between still, but almost every one has sounded great. I was tempted at some others, even if it meant waiting much longer. Some of them were enver, ever gonna happen, like a Bourgois decked out like a Martin D-45 with BRW along with some less expensive entries by them and Froggy Bottom. Collings, Pre-War, Boucher and Lowden all had some great sounding instruments and would have fit the wow-factor criteria.

These are some crazy times, no doubt, but that aside for a moment, there are a ton of options out there and they are accessible to varying degrees.