Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking of Closing the Door on "Vintage" Guitars

zombywoof

10 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I done did the dirty deed.  Unfortunately it was not done dirt cheap.  And not wanting to have BK777 worrying that my meds need changing,  it is not a Collings.  

The Smeck?

If so, you can talk to me when and if you get tired of it.

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

The Smeck?

If so, you can talk to me when and if you get tired of it.

I bought a Smeck but not the Centennial.   This is the first time I have ever bought something like this I had not held in my sweaty little hands before plunking my hard earned scratch down so I am now going through the whole second guessing whether I made the right call or not thing.   

21 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I bought a Smeck but not the Centennial.   This is the first time I have ever bought something like this I had not held in my sweaty little hands before plunking my hard earned scratch down so I am now going through the whole second guessing whether I made the right call or not thing.   

You'll get used to it.

One of the few guitars I own today that I saw or played before buying was my original  beat-up 1950 J-45, which I bought for $50 off the wall of a music store in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1966. It didn't sound or play so great--loose braces buzzing, fretboard like a mile of bad road--but it was a J-45, and I was smitten.

We do a lot of things in life without knowing what the outcome will be.  It's part of the adventure.

I offer an early congratulations! I hope it gets to you in decent enough shape to start forming a bond in quick fashion.

I saw a Smeck model listed somewhere during my recent search and forgot to mention it. I knew someone was hunting one to some extent.

38 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Whoa! What year? Details please! Let us know when it arrives!

50 minutes ago, j45nick said:

You'll get used to it.

One of the few guitars I own today that I saw or played before buying was my original  beat-up 1950 J-45, which I bought for $50 off the wall of a music store in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1966. It didn't sound or play so great--loose braces buzzing, fretboard like a mile of bad road--but it was a J-45, and I was smitten.

We do a lot of things in life without knowing what the outcome will be.  It's part of the adventure.

When I lived in MS we used to joke if you had a gun you could always get a guitar.  No, not what you are thinking but Pawn Shops could move firearms quicker so were always willing to do a trade.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bayoubengal1954 said:

Stage Deluxe (Mahogany) and Radio Grande (Rosewood). 👍

Exactly - I did not mean to confuse.  I was just lying in bed where typing was hard.🙃

Here is a picture of one of each -- the Radio Grande in the 30s was more decorated.

E7QwTkn.jpg

Best,

-Tom

8 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Mahogany - but t ain't a Gibson (Burn the Witch they cried) so not officially a Stage Deluxe     

I hope you let us hear it.  It's all right -- I also own 50 M****s.  Don't tell anyone.😎

Thanks,

-Tom

50 minutes ago, j45nick said:

That was my guess, since it has 8 strings. I'll look for a recording.

Couldn't find that exact instrument, but there have been an amazing variety of interpretations of the mandocello over the years, and that's almost certainly what this instrument is.

8 hours ago, j45nick said:

Tom, what the heck is that odd instrument on the left of the poster? There must be quite a story behind that one.

Did Zematis have guitars and so on  back then?  The Heart sound hole looks Zematis. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

It is, of course, now a moot point.   I liked every Bozeman-issued take on the Smeck  I have run across.  I was giving careful consideration to the 2015 LE  Stage Deluxe and  Radio Grande  BK was offering up.   I think the only difference was the 2015 version of the rosewood body guitar did not have the terrified top.  But I was also leaning  more toward the mahogany body version.  I also looked very closely at a '94 Centennial version.  But in the end the Fairbanks won out largely because of the sound the non-scalloped J35 bracing gives it.  Just a thunderous low end,  high end cut and an overall clarity.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1