Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

J 185 EC 2007


Channell #5
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a 2007, J-185 EC in excellent condition.  It has a blonde spruce top and blonde maple back and sides.  I was told that it was given by Sony to one of it's recording artists.   I know who the artist is.  I  have some documentation and a copy of a CD on which the guitar was reportedly to have been used for several songs.

I have been unable to find any information or a potential value for it.  Does anyone have any ideas of its value just as a used guitar? 

I would appreciate any response or guidance.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Channell #5 said:

I have a 2007, J-185 EC in excellent condition.  It has a blonde spruce top and blonde maple back and sides.  I was told that it was given by Sony to one of it's recording artists.   I know who the artist is.  I  have some documentation and a copy of a CD on which the guitar was reportedly to have been used for several songs.

I have been unable to find any information or a potential value for it.  Does anyone have any ideas of its value just as a used guitar? 

I would appreciate any response or guidance.

 

A guitar played or owned by some famous does not make it more valuable to me.  It may for a fan of the artist if you have the proof.  The guitar is no more different than someone can buy, unless it's a one off custom. And if owned by let's say Taylor Swift, it would decrease in value for me. And if signed especially on top someone has to want to see the sig all tbe time. That's my take.

Others may feel different.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Channell #5 said:

I have a 2007, J-185 EC in excellent condition.  It has a blonde spruce top and blonde maple back and sides.  I was told that it was given by Sony to one of it's recording artists.   I know who the artist is.  I  have some documentation and a copy of a CD on which the guitar was reportedly to have been used for several songs.

I have been unable to find any information or a potential value for it.  Does anyone have any ideas of its value just as a used guitar? 

I would appreciate any response or guidance.

 

Vintage Guitar Magazine puts out an annual Vintage Guitar Price Guide book that updates used guitar price ranges depending on their condition.  I have several year’s books in my possession, but unfortunately the ones I have are now really outdated.  You might want to look up the Vintage Guitar Price Guide book on the internet and purchase one as a starting point to document the price range of your guitar (without the autograph).   Or, perhaps someone has a current book in their possession to do a look up that they can share.
 

Regarding autographed guitars, that might be more a matter of what the limited market may bear.  For starters, many autographed guitars are often budget guitars promo items, not the actual instrument a performer played.  Those are usually the ones in fundraising auctions.  And have meaning to the owner, but no real collector value market.   Then, there are actual instruments that it is documented that a performer who autographed or didn’t autograph it actually played on occasion that are not promo items.  Then, there are the holy grail autographed or non autographed instruments that a performer is documented to have played in historical appearances.  Those are the top dollar ones in the very limited marketplace of such collectors.  
 

Another thing you can try to do is call Gruhn Guitars in Nashville and see if they will give a basic price range value about your guitar without charging you for a photo appraisal.  Or, you can try the paid appraisal route with them, but since you seem just to be looking for a basic price range, a paid appraisal may not be your route as the guitar is not a highly collectible instrument (unless it’s a rare autographed historic guitar and you’re not disclosing that here.)  You could also try to call Elderly Instruments in Michigan to see if they’d give you a price range over the phone.  I wouldn’t rely on personal opinion for the price range or value.  Rather obtain a professional opinion through the mentioned book or mentioned guitar music dealers, as there is a collectible guitar marketplace.  I hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

A guitar played or owned by some famous does not make it more valuable to me.  It may for a fan of the artist if you have the proof.  The guitar is no more different than someone can buy, unless it's a one off custom. And if owned by let's say Taylor Swift, it would decrease in value for me. And if signed especially on top someone has to want to see the sig all tbe time. That's my take.

Others may feel different.

This echoes my sentiments about signed guitars.  The guitar is only worth what any other guitar of the same make and model would be.  I bought it only because it sounds and plays great, but I am considering selling it to upgrade.  

Thank You

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

Vintage Guitar Magazine puts out an annual Vintage Guitar Price Guide book that updates used guitar price ranges depending on their condition.  I have several year’s books in my possession, but unfortunately the ones I have are now really outdated.  You might want to look up the Vintage Guitar Price Guide book on the internet and purchase one as a starting point to document the price range of your guitar (without the autograph).   Or, perhaps someone has a current book in their possession to do a look up that they can share.
 

Regarding autographed guitars, that might be more a matter of what the limited market may bear.  For starters, many autographed guitars are often budget guitars promo items, not the actual instrument a performer played.  Those are usually the ones in fundraising auctions.  And have meaning to the owner, but no real collector value market.   Then, there are actual instruments that it is documented that a performer who autographed or didn’t autograph it actually played on occasion that are not promo items.  Then, there are the holy grail autographed or non autographed instruments that a performer is documented to have played in historical appearances.  Those are the top dollar ones in the very limited marketplace of such collectors.  
 

Another thing you can try to do is call Gruhn Guitars in Nashville and see if they will give a basic price range value about your guitar without charging you for a photo appraisal.  Or, you can try the paid appraisal route with them, but since you seem just to be looking for a basic price range, a paid appraisal may not be your route as the guitar is not a highly collectible instrument (unless it’s a rare autographed historic guitar and you’re not disclosing that here.)  You could also try to call Elderly Instruments in Michigan to see if they’d give you a price range over the phone.  I wouldn’t rely on personal opinion for the price range or value.  Rather obtain a professional opinion through the mentioned book or mentioned guitar music dealers, as there is a collectible guitar marketplace.  I hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I was hoping not to have to buy a Price Guide, but I needed to know how much to ask for it.  I'm looking to upgrade.  I think the best investment that I could make would be to go ahead and buy a guide.  I will also try calling Gruhn or Elderly Instruments first though. 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...