Gibson Brands Forums

I have gone mad, haven't I?

jdgm

43 minutes ago, Retired said:

I wonder if the Grateful Dead deodorant has that, Dead Odor? Haha. Could come in one, two, three, four and five days dead smell! 

Ever been to a Dead show? Lots of stinky Dead Heads wreaking of Patchouli.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"he rarely showered--as his greasy hair, black elbows and strong body odor showed--and his diet consisted mostly of ice cream and other junk food.” 

"[the] prodigious body odor which preceded him by the room’s length"

Greenfield, R. (1996). Dark star: an oral history of Jerry Garcia. NY: Wm Morrow & Co.

Of course, there was also famously an attempt (after his death) to use Jerry Garcia as a sort of spectral pitchman in VW adverts.  He had never owned a VW bus, nor a Bug. Once the monies from Workingman's Dead began to flow in, he thereafter drove BMWs for the rest of his life. Mountain Girl still has his 1973 3.0CS.

Some cliches about the Grateful Dead lifestyle are apparently just that - cliches. But not using deodorant and stinking to high heaven? That one seems to be quite accurate. This product placement sounds a bit misguided. The only ones to get it right were the ice cream salesmen - it seems he actually used their product, abundantly.

Edited by Lord Summerisle
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lord Summerisle said:

"he rarely showered--as his greasy hair, black elbows and strong body odor showed--and his diet consisted mostly of ice cream and other junk food.” 

"[the] prodigious body odor which preceded him by the room’s length"

Greenfield, R. (1996). Dark star: an oral history of Jerry Garcia. NY: Wm Morrow & Co.

Of course, there was also famously an attempt (after his death) to use Jerry Garcia as a sort of spectral pitchman in VW adverts.  He had never owned a VW bus, nor a Bug. Once the monies from Workingman's Dead began to flow in, he thereafter drove BMWs for the rest of his life. Mountain Girl still has his 1973 3.0CS.

Some cliches about the Grateful Dead lifestyle are apparently just that - cliches. But not using deodorant and stinking to high heaven? That one seems to be quite accurate. This product placement sounds a bit misguided. The only ones to get it right were the ice cream salesmen - it seems he actually used their product, abundantly.

How would you like to be Bobby in that band. A young pretty boy surrounded by some of the ugliest guys on Earth.

Jerry did H and lots of smack addicts don't shower cause they say it gives them a better high.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Here's a little 'ripple' to start the day off...  playing for change style. 

The Dead. You get em or you don't. Of the 14 times I've seen them I only remember one bad show.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I don't get it.

That's cool. I love The Dead but when they do mega super extended jams and the awful drum solos, that was when I usually went to p-ee.

They were a band of a different era. Drugs helped, but I was never dosed at a show. Working Mans Dead  and American Beauty are their most approachable albums. If you can't listen to those go no further

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 6/26/2020 at 7:58 AM, merciful-evans said:

There's also the massive range of neckties designed by Garcia. That was, and remains, pretty weird.

I googled this as I had no idea.....stranger still.  

Band names become Brand names.....I get that,  and there are many bizarre examples - probably Kiss would get the award for the coffin, the dolls and God knows what else. 

Not long after Experience Hendrix was set up they briefly marketed a Jimi Hendrix golf umbrella, poker chips and an Axis Bold As Love bedspread.  

We can buy Linda McCartney vegetarian food; Iron Maiden 'Trooper' bottled beer.  To name just 2.

So I suppose GD organic roll-on isn't that surreal....they've got official merchandise on 2 sites.  Let's have a quick look.

Fancy a Workingman's Dead hatchet?  A Steal Your Face umbrella?

https://store.dead.net/workingman-s-dead-tarnaby-hatchet.html

Ah....Jerry Garcia golfballs, coloring book, jigsaw puzzle.......hmmm, of course....all perfectly normal, so perhaps I'm not mad - just very out of touch. 

https://www.merchbar.com/rock-alternative/grateful-dead?p=13

I want official signature organic sustainably-sourced fridge magnets. 

🤪🤪🤪

Edited by jdgm