Gibson Brands Forums

Need a little help - replacement tuners

Filbert

Got myself a 1998 Gibson Flying V '67 re-issue and it's immaculate aside from one issue - one of the tuners is very wobbly and when I fiddled with it in an attempt to fix it, the metal plate fell off and the tuner is now borked. So I need to get replacements. Can anyone tell me or link me to some suitable replacement parts? Would ideally want like for like but the main thing is; I don't want to be drilling holes or new screw holes - I need them to slot in exactly as the original ones do.

The tuners are Kluson tulip style ones, I think? They look like these:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/kluson_by_gotoh_m33vc_gitarrenmechanik.htm?sid=18aba0fcb840edd90f453f4bff4deb9e

Only difference is mine have Gibson Deluxe stamped on the metal plate on the back

Edited by Filbert

I think the hole is 10mm - it certainly isn't 8.5mm anyway. Problem is, I don't really have an accurate or easy to use measuring device, just a tape measure which isn't really any good for small distances. Anyway, I have ordered some genuine, replacement Klusons from ebay and in the meantime, I managed to jury-rig the broken one with a hammer and some superglue. Seems to be holding so far.

3 hours ago, Filbert said:

I think the hole is 10mm - it certainly isn't 8.5mm anyway. Problem is, I don't really have an accurate or easy to use measuring device, just a tape measure which isn't really any good for small distances. Anyway, I have ordered some genuine, replacement Klusons from ebay and in the meantime, I managed to jury-rig the broken one with a hammer and some superglue. Seems to be holding so far.

I'm a duct tape man myself, but I am glad to see your alumni from the same college of engineering as I am.

4 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I'm a duct tape man myself, but I am glad to see your alumni from the same college of engineering as I am.

I usually am a duct tape guy too. I spent 5 years in the British military and it used to be a standing joke that the army ran on Black Nasty (a brand of black duct tape that is used to hold everything together)

1 minute ago, Filbert said:

I usually am a duct tape guy too. I spent 5 years in the British military and it used to be a standing joke that the army ran on Black Nasty (a brand of black duct tape that is used to hold everything together)

I was in the USAF, and I think I know exactly what tape you're talking about. I took a large spool of it home with me. Lasted me almost over 20 years. The glue stuck to everything. I ended up throwing it out because what was left was unusable.