Gibson Brands Forums

Was he the best guitar player of the 1960s

jaxson50

When this was filmed George Benson was 21 years old. You have to watch h the entire video,  the finale is incredible,  

This was 1964, his contemporaries were Clapton,  Page, Beck, Harrison,. I'm a big fan of all of those great rock players of the era,  face it, Benson was in a class of his own.

• Thanks 1

What generally isn't taken into account is the genre. Jazz, especially mainstream, is complex and demanding. Changes are coming thick & fast.

Rock blues, for the most part, is modal.

If it was a card game, it would be like comparing Bridge to Snap.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

When this was filmed George Benson was 21 years old. You have to watch h the entire video,  the finale is incredible,  

This was 1964, his contemporaries were Clapton,  Page, Beck, Harrison,. I'm a big fan of all of those great rock players of the era,  face it, Benson was in a class of his own.

The guys hair on the keys is fabulous. George is killer. I only have Breezin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

It's hard to say anyone is the best.. At best it's subjective.. It's who you think is best..

Although, all these Guys are Greats!

When people say best many times it means favorite. Best is impossible to quantify.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Nah 

Chet waa awesome,  but in 1964 Chet was 40 years old.  He wasn't a contemporary of Benson's,  he would have been an inspiration and mentor. 

I'm specifically comparing Benson's skill, knowledge and mastery of the guitar at age 21,  and during the 1960s to others the same age.  When he was 7 he was playing guitar on the streets , 

His knowledge of composition improvisation,  ,light years ahead of the others of his generation at that point in time 

• Thanks 1

Just now, jaxson50 said:

Chet waa awesome,  but in 1964 Chet was 40 years old.  He wasn't a contemporary of Benson's,  he would have been an inspiration and mentor. 

I'm specifically comparing Benson's skill, knowledge and mastery of the guitar at age 21,  and during the 1960s to others the same age.  When he was 7 he was playing guitar on the streets , 

His knowledge of composition improvisation,  ,light years ahead of the others of his generation at that point in time 

Of that there is no doubt. But there is no way to measure best in music its subjective. That one guy thinks Taylor Swift is the best.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Of that there is no doubt. But there is no way to measure best in music its subjective. That one guy thinks Taylor Swift is the best.

Let's not go down that rat hole again.  The video clip is a time capsule,  show me a video time capsule of a 21 year old doing better....

1 hour ago, jaxson50 said:

Let's not go down that rat hole again.  The video clip is a time capsule,  show me a video time capsule of a 21 year old doing better....

Fripp may have been older that 21 when he did Fracture with King Crimson (I believe it is on  the album Starless And Bible Black) but many say it is one of the hardest songs to play. Fripp is one of those guys that if your ask him if he plays he would say "a little" then play circles around you in a 3 piece suit while all the time being an English Gentleman.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

. Fripp is one of those guys that if your ask him if he plays he would say "a little" then play circles around you in a 3 piece suit while all the time being an English Gentleman.

While doing ballet with Toyah....😀 

1 hour ago, jaxson50 said:

Do you actually think that every person thinks the same?  Doing better ? How much more subjective can you get?

6 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Do you actually think that every person thinks the same?  Doing better ? How much more subjective can you get?

We all like what we like and can argue about it till the cows come home. Like I've said many times there is no best or greatest. What I would say is insert the word favorite for those two words and there you go. No one can dispute you if you say __________________ is my favorite guitarist.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Benson came after Wes Montgomery and after him was Pat Martino, if you believe the received-wisdom-jazz-history.  

He is still jaw-dropping - check the youtube stuff with this guy Jody Fisher......

• Thanks 1

Since we seem to be talking about pre shredder days, I would have to consider the guys who created songs that had unforgettable tag lines. So best would have to include ground breaking sounds... Like Purple Haze, Satisfaction, Pipe Line, TalkTalk, Little Red Book, I'm A Man, Come Together, Turn Turn Turn, White Rabbit, Summertime, Funk 49, I Feel Free, Breezin, Good Times Bad Times, A Saucerful Of Secrets and many more..

Who was best is highly subjective, I always loved listening to Chet, Currently I have been listening to Robert Johnson. But possibly the most innovative and skill with ease could be Jimi. For me anyway.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

How many Garth Brooks concerts have you attended?  It's not my thing but it's cool that you love this guy. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I took one for the team and when I went to Vegas with my wife we saw his pathetic lounge act.  That was the one and only time I saw him. It wasn't a concert. It was him talking about his life and playing snippets of songs. It was really fuking awful.  If that fat bald pudgy fuk never wrote  a song or had what some would say a career he never would have ever seen a woman naked expert in a magazine.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

But I thought he was your favorite.  Aren't you a charter member of his fan club?  I thought you had said that. 

6fa677c66f6c6ba37f86d290aaa7f0ac.jpg

New Zappa is out today. I got better things to do that argue with your troll a-ss.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

Ok guys,  I admit it, I like to fire things up some times, but you have to admit, watching the video in the OP, filmed in 1964,  Benson was light years ahead of Clapton,  Page, Beck,. Harrison,  even Johnny Winters or Greg Allmsn watch it again,  I can't imagine any rocker in 1964 that was capable of that level of excellence.