Gibson Brands Forums

Volume Control Wiring

thejay

Back in the 50s I believe Gibson wired the volume controls to be independent of each other when both pickups are engaged. Now-a-days they wire them where one volume knob controls the volume of both pickups when engaged. I have been very curious to mod one of my pauls to hear the difference it would make to have each pickup at their own unique volume. Has anyone done this or does anyone have a real vintage piece that can speak on the issue?

real vintage ones weren't wired that way. they were wired the same as today in that regard. the difference with "50s" wiring simply affects how the volume pot is connected to the tone pot. in the modern style, the tone will get slightly darker as you roll the volume down. in the 50s style it doesn't. 50s allows for a more useable volume pot, but the tone pot is less usueable. modern is the opposite. neither makes them independent in the middle position though.

you can set each pickup independent with the modern or 50s style. the only difference with "independent wiring" is that when you are in the middle position and turn one pickup all the way down, it doesn't mute the entire guitar. there is no difference between the function of the 2 at any other setting. in both you can roll one pickup part of the way down while in the middle and get the exact same result. the only tone difference is that independent wiring puts more of a load on the pickups causing them to sound slightly darker, more compressed and less dynamic.

no defect... actually a PITA for them to be independent. b/c if you want to mute the guitar you have to spin 2 knobs. if you want just one pup, then flip the switch... it's quicker than turning one all of the way down anyway. also, there's that issue with it not sounding as good b/c of the extra load on the pups.

Archived