Gibson Brands Forums

Why Gibson L-00 standard is more expensive than the original one ?

passch

Why Gibson L-00 standard is more expensive than the original one ? 

Original $2,699
Standard $3,099

They have almost identical spec in terms of wood, and you will even get better material for nut and saddle with the original version which is cheaper.

Edited by passch

Your question is a logiclal one and can be applied to not only Gibson, but literally all other instrument brands.  Often the upgrades just don't seem to validate the increase in price.  Personally, I don't know the answer.  It seems to my amatuer mind to revolve around how the company wants to market the guitar and what the public is willing to pay for it.

11 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Your question is a logiclal one and can be applied to not only Gibson, but literally all other instrument brands.  Often the upgrades just don't seem to validate the increase in price.  Personally, I don't know the answer.  It seems to my amatuer mind to revolve around how the company wants to market the guitar and what the public is willing to pay for it.

I find this is interesting that Gibson make the "original" series cheaper than the modern series. If I understood it right — in the past, the "original" series have always been more special and more expensive due to its "vintage-touch" ?

8 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

The price on the L 00 standard just probably fell through the cracks on the Gibson website, Sweetwater has it at the same price as the Original:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSL0VSN19--gibson-acoustic-l-00-standard-vintage-sunburst

JC

That's a good point ! At first I thought that as well, but then after I found out that you can buy the guitar with that price directly from Gibson website: https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCSMC348/L-00-Standard/Vintage-Sunburst  — it might be possible that the standard 2020 version has something special that I don't know of.

7 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Welcome Aboard Passch !   

Thank you 🙂  I didn't own any Gibson yet, but pretty soon ! Just have to decide either L-00 original or standard !

Most folks buy from a retail dealer, not directly from Gibson - because they'll get a big discount.  As JCV noted above - dealers will consider things like the issue you raised.  And they'll also look at  'Why is last year's model more expensive?"  and level the playing field, depending on how many of the older ones they've got in stock they need to move - sometime referred to as  "New Old Stock".  They'll also consider if a model has been sitting out and getting  'shop worn' (not, scratched and dented)  as opposed to those which are 'New In Box".     Don't get 'analysis paralysis' -   decide what you want and look for the best price - and pull the trigger.  It may be scooped up before you do.  He who hesitates is lost.    

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Most folks buy from a retail dealer, not directly from Gibson - because they'll get a big discount.  As JCV noted above - dealers will consider things like the issue you raised.  And they'll also look at  'Why is last year's model more expensive?"  and level the playing field, depending on how many of the older ones they've got in stock they need to move - sometime referred to as  "New Old Stock".  They'll also consider if a model has been sitting out and getting  'shop worn' (not, scratched and dented)  as opposed to those which are 'New In Box".     Don't get 'analysis paralysis' -   decide what you want and look for the best price - and pull the trigger.  It may be scooped up before you do.  He who hesitates is lost.    

Love it!  Your points are well taken,  I know my wife got about a $400 discount when she bought her Martin D12-28 simply because it was "last year's model" which had not sold.   And the only specs worth researching are nut width, string spread at the bridge, neck carve as such as for me it eliminates certain guitars from the get go no matter what they sound like.  And yeah, I have fallen victim to the snooze you lose syndrome more times than I can remember.    I am that special kind of stupid who tends to procrastinate figuring I will leave it to fate.  If the guitar is still there is was destined to be mine.  For some reason though there are apparently a whole lot of guitars that were not destined to fall into my hands.  I am  starting to think it just may be one of those quirks which does not pay off.

14 hours ago, passch said:

I find this is interesting that Gibson make the "original" series cheaper than the modern series. If I understood it right — in the past, the "original" series have always been more special and more expensive due to its "vintage-touch" ?

That's a good point ! At first I thought that as well, but then after I found out that you can buy the guitar with that price directly from Gibson website: https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCSMC348/L-00-Standard/Vintage-Sunburst  — it might be possible that the standard 2020 version has something special that I don't know of.

Thank you 🙂  I didn't own any Gibson yet, but pretty soon ! Just have to decide either L-00 original or standard !

Actually that buying online idea was conceived  by the old Gibson owners. The new Gibson owners  don’t want that ... so they have marked everything OUT OF STOCK in order to prevent people from buying online.Unfortunately the L 00 fell through the cracks and has not been marked OUT OF STOCK.

JC