Gibson Brands Forums

*Help* Split Nut/Binding on 1st fret

LPShredder95

is this a new guitar or pre-owned?

From those pics, it looks like "someone" may have tried to do some repair work already and, didn't do a great job of it.

I wouldn't let GC do any work on this though, they are not reknown for having the best ppl work repairs.  I'd probably eat the cost, and have someone I trusted replace the nut with a new one.

Neck fell and hit something.  Top of the amp is always a good candidate for that, or out front thrashing over the monitor.  Missed a cymbal and hit a drum rim, that would be how I would get that.

rct

7 hours ago, kidblast said:

is this a new guitar or pre-owned?

From those pics, it looks like "someone" may have tried to do some repair work already and, didn't do a great job of it.

I wouldn't let GC do any work on this though, they are not reknown for having the best ppl work repairs.  I'd probably eat the cost, and have someone I trusted replace the nut with a new one.

I have seen other pics of LP's straight out of the factory with the nut that looks like this. Apparently its the residue from laquer. Im more concerned with where the binding looks almost seperated 

1 hour ago, LPShredder95 said:

I have seen other pics of LP's straight out of the factory with the nut that looks like this. Apparently its the residue from laquer. Im more concerned with where the binding looks almost seperated 

Is there a return policy for that?

Nut laquer crack. Happens when temp/humidity changes. No need to do anything about it. Used guitar, right? 

The binding, well... Unless your finger sticks in there when you're playing, I'm sure it'll be fine.