Gibson Brands Forums

1963 Gibson c-1e classical help

Rah67123

I’m hoping someone here can help with this question. I finally found a c1-e and it wasn’t easy. The guitar came as expected, however, it only has the ceramic bridge pickup. No preamp or battery box like my Prismatone has has. I have an amp that supplies phantom power to the pickup, Baldwin made the amp that way to power the Prismatone pickup. What do I need?  A pre-amp?  Would this be hard to find?

No I didn’t because the bridge is off. When I found the guitar the original owner was in the process of changing the bridge to a more traditional type. I’m thinking that your right about just plugging it in. So do you think the wire from the ceramic pickup would just connect to the input jack?  Doesn’t the pickup require voltage?  I have a Prismatone pickup and it has a battery box and pre-amp. I was thinking this would work the same way

I would plug it into a amp and see if it works.   If it doesnt work then it requires a internal power supply.  Then you know what it will require. 

Edited by slimt

I was hoping someone on the forum had one. I really wanted the sound of this pickup. Jerry Reed recorded the album Nashville underground with it as well as guitar man. They truly have a unique sound but there’s not many around

• 6 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 2:13 AM, Rah67123 said:

I was hoping someone on the forum had one. I really wanted the sound of this pickup. Jerry Reed recorded the album Nashville underground with it as well as guitar man. They truly have a unique sound but there’s not many around

You don’t need a battery box to make it work. I have one myself and you just plug and play. The pickup is very fragile though. 

Could be a passive pickup - like an Under Saddle Transducer.    Active P/Us require power. Passive don't.  I have one on my SJ200.  Here's an article about them on gut string guitars.   I had a C-0  i bought new in the early 60s.  As Slimt said - I can't imagine they came with P/Us. G'Luck. 

https://www.barberatransducers.com/guitar_pickups.html

Edited by fortyearspickn