Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 60s original questions

Gibson Artist

So i see Gibson selling Gibson j-45 60s original for about 2500 and 50s original for 2700, i was wondering if anyone has tried them? I had heard the 50s is a canon which kind of bums me out, i was hoping for a dry/mellow/soft tone but a j-45 with a slimmer nut profile than the 1.725 most gibbys come with today. So, the 60s original really appeals to me, but my local gc did not have any in stock so if i buy, im buying sight unseen.

Another question is are they braced the same way as the Standard j-45?   Other than a slightly different look, im not sure how these differ from a Standard j-45 anyone tried them?

See this thread. And there was an earlier thread on this too, Guitar Center calls it a "J-45" but Gibson, Sweetwater and other places call it a "J-50" (which makes more sense).

9 hours ago, slimt said:

There probably the same. Its just the marketing name that sets those apart.  A J45 is a J45. 

Im hoping you are correct, and im tempted to wait for a Demo model to go on sale lol.  A lot of people frown upon a used git, but ive gotten many incredible deals this way. I once got a les paul studio for like 500 that way because of a scratch and when it came in, you literally could not see the scratch unless you had a magnifying glass.

1 hour ago, Gibson Artist said:

Im hoping you are correct, and im tempted to wait for a Demo model to go on sale lol.  A lot of people frown upon a used git, but ive gotten many incredible deals this way. I once got a les paul studio for like 500 that way because of a scratch and when it came in, you literally could not see the scratch unless you had a magnifying glass.

Haven’t bought a new Gibson in many years. I have bought several used ones though. I can’t afford new “expensive “ guitars.  It’s just that simple for me. Got a 2007 Dove for $1600,  got a 2001 J-200 for $2000.  Have 3 J-45’s. Only one problem to speak of. My 2008 J45RW needed a new saddle.

Both Musiciansfriend and Sweetwater and Guitar Center all have platinum cards that dont charge you interest if you pay off the guitar in the slotted time.  For example, Sweetwater is offering 36month financing on the j-45 original right now, if you pay it off in 36 months, zero interest and its min payment is only 70 bucks a month.

I have both Sweetwater and Muscians friend cards, but Sweetwater is the best, seriously, they do a full 55 point inspection and will even put on new strings if you ask and if they have a used demo model, you can get the 36 month financing on the demo model!  While musicians friend is still great, it doesnt always offer the full payment plan on all its open boxed gear.  Plus, they dont inspect the git the way Sweetwater does.   

Also, Sweetwater will even set up your git (i think a small add on price) for you if its a brand like Gibson which occasionally doesnt set up gits well, especially on their electrics. No hate here, ive been a gibson fan for over a decade, but truth be told, their gits arent always set up right out the box.

Sorry to sound like an infomercial for Sweetwater, but if you can get their card, id go for it.

• 1 year later...

I’ve had this 60’s Original J-45 now for about a month.  I’ve owned 3 J-45 standards in the past, and the last one was sold to purchase this one after playing it at the store. 
This is the most exceptional J-45 I’ve EVER played. Special in every way.
The neck is unique compared to the Standard. Fuller would be the best way to describe it. 
Side-by-side in the store it outperformed the standard, the original 50s, and basically every other Gibson acoustic in the stock. 
you will not regret getting this. 
mine is a keeper

• Like 1

Have had the J-50 version of this for a couple months and really like mine too. Not sure if I understand your neck comment though. The nut is actually more narrow than the standard J-45/J-50 (1-11/16"). This is the same as my real 1965 J-50, however the carve of the neck is much thicker than the real 1965. Compared to my 2008 J-50 (which should be like a J-45 Standard), the circumference of the neck is 1/4" smaller at the nut but they are the same by the time I get to the 4th fret. Overall, I'd say the necks are quite similar. Personally, I would not consider it "fuller".

Anyway, it's a great guitar and I got a good deal on one that was lightly used but could have passed for new. Glad you're also enjoying yours too! 🙂

From what I can gather the only structural difference between the two models is the 60s Original has a ADJ saddle bridge.   But I simply ignore all of the "its a canon" stuff.  Yeah, and it plays like buttah.    I get the feeling that more than a few confuse balance with volume. To my old ears guitars with say a bright voice tend to give the illusion of pumping out more volume.  A good example of a J45 will be balanced more towards the mids so will have a full thick sound with a bit of a cracklin' edge to it.   And while a mahogany body J45 certainly has a warmth to it, I have never played one  I would consider soft and mellow  sounding.   These are not traits I look for in a guitar.  If this is what you are seeking you might consider a mahogany top guitar.

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

From what I can gather the only structural difference between the two models is the 60s Original has a ADJ saddle bridge.

As we discussed in another thread, the inside of my 2020 J-50 1960's Original looks exactly like my 2008 J-50 Modern Classic. Same bracing, same bridge plate. The differences are:

* The ADJ bridge

* More narrow nut, but similar neck profile

* Grover's version of 1960's 3-on-a-plate Kluson tuners

* Different style of soundhole rosette

* Same batwing pickguard, but darker brown plastic

* Single-ply (all black) truss rod cover

* No pre-installed pickup

Of course, I'm talking about the J-50 version of this guitar. AFAIK, the J-45 version is the same guitar but with a different finish (either black or red wine) and white pickguard. Personally, I think the J-45 versions are really unattractive, seems odd that they don't have a 60's J-45 with a burst finish.

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACC26R79/60s-J-50-Original/Antique-Natural

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCJ5F910/60s-J-45-Original/Ebony

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCJ5F910/60s-J-45-Original/Wine-Red

Edited by Boyd

• 7 months later...

That's nice, but has nothing to do with this thread about a current Gibson acoustic guitar with styling similar to a 1960's model. It bears no resemblance to the square-shouldered J-45 in your picture, it looks like an earlier 1960's model with round shoulders, smaller black headstock and it doesn't have a burst finish.