Gibson Brands Forums
sparquelito

Tone and the quest for the perfect tone

The quest for the perfect tone , ah yes, in my youth I spent hours, even days, visiting music stores and dusty pawn shops,  trying multiple combinations of guitars,  pedals, amps. Scrounging through obscure records in shops that sold used, often donated goods, suffering through scratchy warped records, listening , hunting, waiting for that magic instant when I would hear the holy trail, that magic tone that would define my sound.

I'm much older now, wiser (says me) , now I just turn down my hearing aids and don't give a damn!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaxson50 said:

The quest for the perfect tone , ah yes, in my youth I spent hours, even days, visiting music stores and dusty pawn shops,  trying multiple combinations of guitars,  pedals, amps. Scrounging through obscure records in shops that sold used, often donated goods, suffering through scratchy warped records, listening , hunting, waiting for that magic instant when I would hear the holy trail, that magic tone that would define my sound.

I'm much older now, wiser (says me) , now I just turn down my hearing aids and don't give a damn!

I hope you are still using an analog hearing aid. 

https://audiorecovery.com/blog/difference-between-analog-and-digital-hearing-aids/#:~:text=Analog hearing aids work in,aids amplify all sound equally.

ANALOG HEARING AIDS

For many years, analog hearing aids were the only kind you could get. Today, analog devices are still available and offer a number of benefits for users.

Analog hearing aids work in a similar way to a microphone hooked up to a speaker. The hearing aid picks up outside sound, amplifies it, and outputs the same sound at a louder volume. Unlike digital hearing aids, analog hearing aids amplify all sound equally. They aren’t able to separate foreground and background noise or isolate certain types of sound.

That said, many analog hearing aids are still programmable, and even offer multiple listening modes for different environments. Some people also think analog hearing aids sound “warmer” because the sound isn’t digitally processed.

7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I dont use them myself, but loopers are useful. There are also backing tracks for all sort of musicians. Our bass player Paul uses them all the time.

https://www.facebook.com/100004776005125/videos/1495268173975702/  

Interesting. I might check into that.  Pretty cool.

I rarely use my Danelectro Honeytone amp because its hard to get tone out of it that doesn't sound like a plastic box, hmm, it is a plastic box. So I stuffed it full of grey foam to kill the plastic box resonation and it actually sounds better, time will tell.. I have a new Marshall MS-2 coming for walking around, have to see how they compare. I used to use a Roland Cube strapped on while I was skating, but thats a bit much for me now..

Update.... Tried out my Honeytone battery amp this morning, it does seem to sound better after being stuffed, at least to me so far..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1