Gibson Brands Forums

1940 Super 400C, , , makes Norm sing

E-minor7

Not an expert on archtops or acoustic jazz-guitars (to put it mildly), but this oldie is in superb and sounds like it's supposed to, doesn't it. . 

Just thought you should see and hear it - now 80, , , like another star named Richard. . 

Some of the coolest pickguards. . . perfect for that guitar.

So Norm sings? And writes? By what's said in the clip, he clearly has access to some of the best studios in LA, so maybe the intention of this video was just as much about staying in contact, giving thanks for the patronage, and getting some attention for the charity he's involved with, as much as it's about featuring a cool guitar.

Although Zombywoof observes that whatever guitar he's playing, he still sounds like himself, archtops do seem to be  guitars that really want to be played in a certain style to bring out what they can do. Norm's just doing some very casual playing, mostly catching those strings with the meaty part of the fingers- I'm sure when he takes this song into the studio, it will come alive.

another mystery, Em ? Who's 80 (besides this guitar)? Cliff?

As I understand it the tune has already been recorded by a smaller ensemble. 

And yes, it takes a certain style'n'repertoire to release the essence of these guitars - I personally only get one third = The looks. But sometimes hear others treat them exactly right. 

Regarding the 80-riddle you'll soon find out - just follow the beat, , , it's a clue in itself. . 

2 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

And yes, it takes a certain style'n'repertoire to release the essence of these guitars - I personally only get one third = The looks. But sometimes hear others treat them exactly right. 

Regarding the 80-riddle you'll soon find out - just follow the beat, , , it's a clue in itself. . 

I have an acoustic Super 400 and L5. From my experience they project their sound across the room and you do not get the full essence of the large maple f-holes while they're setting on your lap or if you put a mic in front of it.  

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

good one. 🐙🌼

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

That riddle stands in stark contrast to the questions you usually pose, in a matter of speaking.