Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Epiphone Les Paul Special 2020

Been looking at these since they were announced, but felt I had no need since I had a lovely butterscotch Dillion Les Paul Junior, but still...knowing these Epi's had a big 50's neck and the new headstock shape and, with the reviews being so killer, I just kept thinking about making room for one.  I gave in and bought one from Zzounds a couple Wednesdays back (6/24)...it arrived at my house the next day.

I am sooooo glad I decided to buy this guitar.  It's lighter than the Dillion, while feeling no less substantial.  And my gosh...unplugged, the Epi is extremely resonant.  The neck is just perfect for me...measuring at .94" at first fret and .99" at the 12th.

I cleaned and treated the fretboard with F-One oil, adjusted the neck to get it to little to no relief, put on a new set of D'Addario 11-49 strings and set the intonation.

Finally, I replaced the stock strap buttons with a set of Dunlop straplok buttons and replaced the stock tuners with a set of Kluson Revolution 19:1 ratio locking tuners.  While I realize these Klusons don't have the proper Les Paul Special white oval buttons, they do have the classic Kluson keystone buttons we're used to seeing on Gibsons and I think they look fantastic on this Epiphone.

I'm amazed at how much this Indian Laurel fretboard looks like proper rosewood and I'm happy that I got one that is uniformly dark.

The pickups are awesome...I will not be changing them out.

I love love LOVE This guitar!

PICS:

50072112377_fc94939a9d_o.jpg

50071863346_cbe2c60204_o.jpg

50071863261_0f6aa2fa32_o.jpg

50072112337_ba88ae8ea4_o.jpg

50071863326_30738579c5_o.jpg

50071299583_2be3f9f2b3_o.jpg

50071299558_ee25aae5bd_o.jpg

50072112292_6b6ef0c658_o.jpg

50072112247_0d9bc17176_o.jpg

Nice, p 90's are the best pickups for me. Not sure if it's just the picture but i like the colour, it's not too yellow. The tuners do look good on there too.

But for the love of God man, please get those stickers off, or at least the QC one. My OCD aaahhhh. 

But seriously, glad you like it, enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Matt4356 said:

Nice, p 90's are the best pickups for me. Not sure if it's just the picture but i like the colour, it's not too yellow. The tuners do look good on there too.

But for the love of God man, please get those stickers off, or at least the QC one. My OCD aaahhhh. 

But seriously, glad you like it, enjoy.

Haha...I’m sure I will.  The yellow is not bright at all.  It’s true tv yellow. Subtle greenish hue to it, too...as it is supposed to be.