Gibson Brands Forums

D&A Guitar stand scratches My Gibson Les Pauls. Anybody else have this problem from D&A?

(NEW GUITAR STAND PROBLEMS FOR GIBSON LES PAULS) Has anybody noticed any problems useing D&A Guitar stand? I have some new issues on my Gibson Les Pauls from useing the D&A starfish active guitar stand. It is only on my Gibson Les Pauls but none of my other guitars. I've sent the stand back to D&A (per their request) so they can look into the issue because they have never heard of any problems like this.

There are two tiny scratches one on each side of the headstock (where the guitar is held by the rubber in the guitar stand) and this is on 3 Gibson Les Pauls in the same spots. (I will include pics.) It is only on my Gibsons. There ar NO problems on my other guitars. My other guitars consist of Jacksons, Schecters and an Epiphone. It is NOT a chemical reaction!
I have a theory.. I believe the angle of the headstocks on Gibson Les Pauls along with the fact theat they weight over 10lbs each is part of the problem. I noticed that the rubber that the guitars are being held by has smashed down over the time I've been useing the stand (which has been over 2 years). I do NOT leaveany guitar in a stand 24/7. It just happens that I use my Gibsons more than anything eles. So when I'm playing I will have a guitar in the stand next to me and I can pull it out throughout the day when I want to. Sometimes a guitar may be in the stand for 5 hours or sometimes just 10 minuets.Hopefully the pics. I post with this will show how the guitar sits in the stand and you can see the marks clear enough to know what I'm talking about.
So far D&A are working with me to find out whats up. They sent me 2 replacement stands and asked me to get an estimate on touching up the guitars. I haven't recieved an estimate yet because I have no place near me that does this kind of work.They said I could ask Sweetwater (if they do it) for an estimit but I'm still waiting on them to call back. I did check into shipping cost and holy crap is that going to suck! One of the guitars is a HP which meens it came in an aluminuim flight case that weighs 35lbs or so and the guitar itself is over 10lbs. The cost for just that guitar to be shipped is going to be close to $150 and that's not including insurance. I did email them about this because I doubt the cost to touch up a headstock is not going to come close to the shipping cost. Plus I haven't heard back from them after they recieved the old stand. With no word for a couple of weeks they finally got back with me but I'm not liking the new vibe from them. They asked for the pics. again (which I've sent 3 times) and then I was emailed by a differant person the same day asking about the problem and pics. again. The last correspondence from them was they will be haveing a meeting to discuss the problem with the engineers within the next week. They also ask if I had an estimate yet. My reply was NO but I would follow up with them by next week. When this happened and I called Sweetwater the covid-19 thing was still at a high point. Most of the Sweetwater staff was working from home and my sales engineer sent a message to the repair guys. Anyway. Thanks if you read this and looked at the pics. If anybody else has had an issue like this let me know. If you have a theory on what you think caused this, let me know. 

Headstock scratch R1 inked.jpg

headstock scracth L4 inked.jpg

stand 2 inked.jpg

guitar in stand 1 inked.jpg

Edited by scottpaine_69
new info.
  • Like 1

It's a Gibson so it's a Nitro finnish not poly. I always keep my guitars in their cases unless I'm useing them. That's why I have the stand. You can't put it into this stand with force. As you put the guitar into this stand it pushes down the top of the stand so the doors close with the weight of the guitar.  As you pick the guitar up from the stand the doors release.  This happened over a period of time and it only did this to my Gibson Les Pauls. I know the marks are tiny but when you are sold something that's gaurenteed safe for your instruments that is the part that's iritating. These had good reviews as well but was a new type of stand and company at the time. I believe that the headstock angle and weight of the Gibson Les Pauls is what caused the rubber to break down. My other guitars have no marks on them anywhere.  I only posted this for 2 reasons. 1). To see if anybody eles has had this problem with this stand. 2). Warning people to look out for this potintial issue from this stand. 

• Like 1

Wow, I usually see them eating into the nitro, this looks like the nibs on the cushion  gnawing away at the black veneer little by little. Not so much a chemical reaction like other stands. That's what it looks like to me anyway. I will take your post to heart. I agree with you 100%

Edited by Big Bill

I just looked at the D & A site. They appear to be quality stands, though i didnt see nitro referenced anywhere.

It would be worth contacting D & A just to see how they react to the damage you have. 

Meanwhile its probably worth not using the Gibsons with that stand until you figure out how to proceed. Thanks for the heads up about this.

I use Hercules  wall brackets but wont leave nitro guitars on them for extended periods. 

Good luck

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The evidence is damning but I don't understand how that's happening.  It's a guitar stand, so presumably it's not a chemical reaction to the poly finish.  Rubber shouldn't cause pitting like that (it's a little hard to see in the pics).  I assume you don't place it down with force.   

Personally I don't think it takes much away from the look of that headstock but I could understand why you wouldn't want it to get worst.  You might want to consider just storing that one in its case. 

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Ok sorry I'll STFU.  By the way, white text on a white background with a black fill is very hard to read.  Next time I won't bother.  Best of luck to you. 

If I came off like an *** I didn't meen too. It's all good.The backround and text did that because I copied and pasted so I wouldn't have to type it all again. That's how it turned out and it wouldn't let me change it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I just looked at the D & A site. They appear to be quality stands, though i didnt see nitro referenced anywhere.

It would be worth contacting D & A just to see how they react to the damage you have. 

Meanwhile its probably worth not using the Gibsons with that stand until you figure out how to proceed. Thanks for the heads up about this.

I use Hercules  wall brackets but wont leave nitro guitars on them for extended periods. 

Good luck

I did get with them. It's written in the post. They said this is the first time that had an issue like this. They have the stand  back at their place to look at it and see what's going on. Read the rest of the post for the full scoop.

• Like 1

Hi Scott, I remember you getting the 2015 back then - interested to know how the GForce has held up - does it still do what it is supposed to with no trouble 5 years on? (Like any new tech that would have been part of the concern back then)

ps sorry mate , I have no ideas re the stand issue.

Yes! It still works and is holding up. I have a 2017 Traditional HP with one also. It still does the job. I've posted a few videos on my youtube channel about then. One is titled "My 2015 Gibson Les Paul Cassic revisited 5 years later".     

Here is a video Link:      

Nitro dosen't hold up well if its humid, almost like it starts to dissolve light color finishes get stained very easily. My climate is very wet so I have to make sure any nitro finish does not touch another surface. 

Edited by mihcmac

I enjoyed your video and great to hear it has worked out well!

on the 2015's (which I have tried) I decided:

Didn't like: 1. the logo (if I buy a LP it will be just one and I couldn't live with that),  2: neck width (just not for my I'm afraid)

Liked: great build and finish (weight relieve too if it applied)

Unsure: 1. GForce - would it be accurate and would it keep working and what if it didn't, 2. the nut - would it have probems

Didn't really care either way:  the other changes that I recall (guard, bridge, electronics...)

cheers.

17 hours ago, scottpaine_69 said:

I did get with them. It's written in the post. They said this is the first time that had an issue like this. They have the stand  back at their place to look at it and see what's going on. Read the rest of the post for the full scoop.

Whoops! Sorry about that. I did try hard to read the OP but the black made it difficult.

BTW, I also have a 2015 LP. Still loving it.