Gibson Brands Forums

I’d rather be a sparrow than a snail

4 hours ago, 62burst said:

I'd rather be (have) a short-scale Hummingbird Rosewood than a long-scale Sparrow if I could

Yes I would, if I could, I surely would

Oh, that pickguard

😂😂😂

thanks for keeping the shtick going.

I’ll admit the guard was the only weak point of the guitar .

JC

That pickguard is...... ugly. Looks like a five-year-old created it. (no offense to five-year-olds intended.)

The guitar itself is interesting, but not my cup o' tea.

Hmmm, long-scale, square-dread, rosewood? Where have I heard those specs before?

7 hours ago, 62burst said:

really ?

19b9PS6.png

yup. It was in the Cremona series archtops  from the 30s.  I owned a Clipper with the airplane engraved guard and one very similar to this guard.    ,  I got both of those from collector out of Post Falls Idaho   .  They were pretty cool.   

6 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

😂😂😂

thanks for keeping the shtick going.

I’ll admit the guard was the only weak point of the guitar .

JC

The Sparrow reminds me of the J60 that Gibson made. I wonder if its the same specs.   You do post some interesting guitars. 

2 hours ago, slimt said:

yup. It was in the Cremona series archtops  from the 30s.  I owned a Clipper with the airplane engraved guard and one very similar to this guard.    ,  I got both of those from collector out of Post Falls Idaho   .  They were pretty cool.   

The Cremona line was, as far as I know, the only Harmony archtop to have a carved top.  The one I lusted for was the cutaway which Harmony only offered for one year.

4 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The Cremona line was, as far as I know, the only Harmony archtop to have a carved top.  The one I lusted for was the cutaway which Harmony only offered for one year.

I found a closet queen Cremona that my luthier talked me out of. He slapped a pickup on it and uses it as one of his main stage guitars

65265034_3083973044953941_34783742693421

I also used to own a Harmony Cremona from the ‘30s with a carved top.

Art deco headstock with Harmony inlay that looked like a vertical theatre marquee from the period, with Cremona intersecting diagonally.

Really liked that guitar, except for the huge neck!

8 hours ago, slimt said:

The Sparrow reminds me of the J60 that Gibson made. I wonder if its the same specs.   You do post some interesting guitars. 

Yes - the J-60 was there first.

I guess these are guitars you need to try 'in person'. May take you by surprise as something else, , , for NO, they are not H-Birds or Doves at all.

1 hour ago, bobouz said:

I also used to own a Harmony Cremona from the ‘30s with a carved top.

Art deco headstock with Harmony inlay that looked like a vertical theatre marquee from the period, with Cremona intersecting diagonally.

Really liked that guitar, except for the huge neck!

One thing that surprised me was that the top braces are part of the carving, not glued on. Had a very nice maple sound. 

I seriously considered and almost bought one at GC a few years ago.  Not many of them around.  I must have gone up and played it 5-6 times over a few days.  A real brute in the sound department and very nicely made, but I couldn’t get past the pick guard.  The name didn’t bother me (although I’d have picked a different bird name), but that pick guard just did not seem natural for a Gibson.  Maybe A Taylor...lol..........If I remember correctly, we had a good discussion in here regarding the pick guard——too modern, drawn by a kid, not traditional..

5 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

I seriously considered and almost bought one at GC a few years ago.  Not many of them around.  I must have gone up and played it 5-6 times over a few days.  A real brute in the sound department and very nicely made, but I couldn’t get past the pick guard.  The name didn’t bother me (although I’d have picked a different bird name), but that pick guard just did not seem natural for a Gibson.  Maybe A Taylor...lol..........If I remember correctly, we had a good discussion in here regarding the pick guard——too modern, drawn by a kid, not traditional..

Yes, we had a passionate discussion about the Sparrow 3-4-5 years ago. Someone presented a brown-burst version and I even believe the person behind the creation of the guard chimed in. Would be fun to see that thread again.