Gibson Brands Forums

I’d rather be a sparrow than a snail

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes, it's the one Jalex links to - here it is again. Thread of all thread

Yeah, that was a great thread.  I read through all 8 pages of it again,.  Truly a super discussion, including the guy who designed the pickguard.  I still don't like the pickguard and for the same reasons I had back then, but after reading all this stuff again---I WANT ONE!!!!!....lol....I remember the volume of the one I played and re-reading comments from others really makes me say "screw the pickguard.  I'll can make myself live with it,".......lol......The Sparrow really is a monster of a guitar.  Sadly, there are only a handful of them around, and even fewer being sold.

5 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yeah, that was a great thread.  I read through all 8 pages of it again,.  Truly a super discussion, including the guy who designed the pickguard.  I still don't like the pickguard and for the same reasons I had back then, but after reading all this stuff again---I WANT ONE!!!!!....lol....I remember the volume of the one I played and re-reading comments from others really makes me say "screw the pickguard.  I'll can make myself live with it,".......lol......The Sparrow really is a monster of a guitar.  Sadly, there are only a handful of them around, and even fewer being sold.

I read this as if you are looking for the model now and again and it could be a good story if you brought one home. Don't think any active member has one right now. Imagine they are rare, as you say - and let's not forget the guard can be switched and kept unharmed in the case if the next owner should want it back on the top.   

Voices of the angels
ring around the moonlight
Asking me said she so free
How can you catch the sparrow. .

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Must be something about them small birds.

Here's Martin's take on it.

https://www.maurysmusic.com/maury_s_blog/view/191997/martin_d_true_love

DTL1.jpg

I like this.  Something along this line on a pickguard would work for me....I really like the colors.  Perhaps if the Gibson design wasn't so linear, just one color, and one-dementional it  would look   better.

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I read this as if you are looking for the model now and again and it could be a good story if you brought one home. Don't think any active member has one right now. Imagine they are rare, as you say - and let's not forget the guard can be switched and kept unharmed in the case if the next owner should want it back on the top.   

Voices of the angels
ring around the moonlight
Asking me said she so free
How can you catch the sparrow. .

No doubt a J200 will be my next guitar.  Maybe by the end of summer.   The Sparrow is interesting.

t

I like the Sparrow, pickguard and all. Well, almost, I prefer short scale. I have a J-200 and some Martin's, but have been mainly playing my Hummingbird and Southern Jumbo. 

I think the Sparrow would be a nice addition to the herd. Lol!

• Like 1