Gibson Brands Forums

Which one is your pick?

Lars68

If you had enough money burning in your pocket to spend on ANY ONE of the CURRENT guitars in the Gibson acoustic lineup, which one would you pick and why?

For me it would be the 1952 J-185 Vintage in natural because:

1. It's body shape I have never tried before.

2. Maple is a tonewood I've never tried before.

3. I don't have a Gibson in blonde

4. I imagine it to record very, very well.

5. The look and the appointments are extremely classy and “just right” and I care about looks.

How about you, just for the sake of discussion?

Lars

Edited by Lars68

Regardless of the financial circumstances, I don't want or need any more guitars.

I've got four (two dreadnoughts, one a D-28, the other a Gibson J-45 standard), a parlour and a hollow body electric, and that's it.

Based on my musical skill level I'm already over-subscribed. I play only for my own enjoyment, and so I have no need or curiosity to own any other types or styles. 

RBSinTo

I won't be boring and repeat the one I have coming. The one that was in second place at the time was the  Historic Edition J-55. My neighborhood location is not the quietest one around, so the big booming thing would have been great for playing outside. The bigger reason was the beautiful tone that rang out with light touches on the two demos I saw. I think I might have been waiting for one more video to pop up on You Tube at one point, but the pre-war SJ-200 with the RW B&S kept tugging at me. 

Lars, the J-185 Historic sounds awesome. As I was removing a Maple from my big-4, I had thought of replacing it with one. That one was winning out over the Love Dove and Original Series Dove.

4 hours ago, Lars68 said:

If you had enough money burning in your pocket to spend on ANY ONE of the CURRENT guitars in the Gibson acoustic lineup, which one would you pick and why?

For me it would be the 1952 J-185 Vintage in natural because:

1. It's body shape I have never tried before.

2. Maple is a tonewood I've never tried before.

3. I don't have a Gibson in blonde

4. I imagine it to record very, very well.

5. The look and the appointments are extremely classy and “just right” and I care about looks.

How about you, just for the sake of discussion?

Lars

You'd most likely find that guitar would meet all of those expectations. How many Gibson body styles I've gone through looking for the focused bass response that a J-185 can do. It still surprises me. A guitar that doesn't really have a need for torrefication (at least they're making the 1952 J-185 V with a Sitka top). I'd also pass on an outrageous saddle break angle. Keep it sweet- and play it in the sweet spot.

The recent model I'd like to spend some time with is the J-45 Studio Rosewood. I'd be happy to revisit Roseville- as mentioned in the thread posted about this guitar, 'just curious if the slightly shallower J-45 body would shift the EQ more strongly into the mids, and the guitar might pick up some punchiness. The comfort of that slimmer body would be welcome, too.

I actually would be interested in trying out  a Gibson with a terrified top.  In my recent "turn over a new leaf" quest for a new/newish guitar, I did take a look (from afar) at the  '42 SJ and latest versions of the Smeck Stage Deluxe and Radio  Grande which all have  that particular feature.  So I guess they would still sit at the top of my list.

Good choice with the J-185!  I’m soooo satisfied with my natural finish 2012, both tonally & visually, with it’s significant top silking & lovely maple body.  And then there’s that perfect overall size, imho.

Got to say, I’m not tempted by much of anything these days, having every category I’m interested in well covered.

So how about a rosewood bodied J-185?  That’d do it!

1 hour ago, kelly campbell said:

I would agree that the Sj -200 or 180 would be at the top of my list.

SJ200s are awesome,  I hope one day you can find one!

If I was looking for an acoustic guitar today it probably wouldn't be a Gibson,  My SJ200 fills that space very adequately.

Edited by kidblast

13 hours ago, bobouz said:

So how about a rosewood bodied J-185?  

There's just something about the super-rounded lower bout & that exaggerated pinched waist; combined with it's 16"  lower bout... it's waist is tighter than the smaller LG-2 (9-1.5/16" vs 9-6/16" waist for the LG-2)- I bet it would give the rosewood some punch...  if it's the size of the box, and the proportions that are the secret ingredient to the J-185. It's definitely got me curious to see how that body shape would sound with mahogany back & sides (hello, Made2Measure program).

2 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Did you snag the MV pre-war from the video?

Not the one from the video.   Just a 39  00042 Authentic Madagascar.  Its a   Nice guitar.     Darn thing kept staring at me. 

I had a Custom Shop Brazilian Rosewood J185 done for me back in 92   The inlays were  the J2000 leaf style .  It was a real nice guitar.    If the True custom shop was still running. I would do it again. 

45 minutes ago, slimt said:

I had a Custom Shop Brazilian Rosewood J185 done for me back in 92   The inlays were  the J2000 leaf style .  It was a real nice guitar.    If the True custom shop was still running. I would do it again. 

The True custom shop?

2 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

The True custom shop?

yup.   The Room where Kevin Kopp , John Walker, Val , Ren actually built guitars to your wants,  Hand scalloped  tone bars, any amount of Binding you would want, inlay. Types of wood.  Colors. I supplied my own Brazilian.   It was a cool time.   

I get confused with the dozens of variations Gibson makes of each model.  I really don’t know a “reissue” from a “historic,” etc.  and know very little about bridges aside from I’ll cross it when I come to it.  So long as the guitar is easy-to-play,  sounds decent to my ears, and kind of seems like “me,” I’m good with it.  Don’t need another guitar, but I am going to get me a J200 soon.  Don’t know if it will be a Standard or something fancier.  I just know it will be a J200.   So, I guess I do need another guitar.

5 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I get confused with the dozens of variations Gibson makes of each model.  I really don’t know a “reissue” from a “historic,” etc.  and know very little about bridges aside from I’ll cross it when I come to it.  

You are not alone. Then again I don't think the intention is to create order and easy overvue. Rather a sea of semi-chaos in which we can swim endlessly. 
Is your Hummingbird gone for good ?