Gibson Brands Forums

Which one is your pick?

Lars68

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

You are not alone. Then again I don't think the intention is to create order and easy overvue. Rather a sea of semi-chaos in which we can swim endlessly. 
Is your Hummingbird gone for good ?

My Hummingbird gone?  Even just the thought is blasphemy!....lol....No, it’s not going anywhere.  I know that we get dramatic at times over our guitars, but I think I’d feel guiltily and even a bit depressed if that guitar was gone....lol...It would be like moving-on and leaving a treasured part of my life behind me.  If anything goes someday, it might be the J15.  Awesome guitar, but the walnut J100 fills the Walnut sound for me.  I don’t know.   Time will tell.

You are not alone. Then again I don't think the intention is to create order and easy overvue. Rather a sea of semi-chaos in which we can swim endlessly. 

I've always thought it would be cool if a guitar company just gave us, let say ten basic models to pick from, and that's it. ”We make these ten different guitars, and we make them to the best of our ability”. Then within each model, the customer could pick from a narrow selection of different neck widths and neck shapes. If they figure out how to make a specific model better, then those changes would be introduced as soon as possible without giving the guitar a model year. Enough of this ”vintage”, ”original”, modern”, ”mystic”, ”supreme”, ”deluxe”, ”legend” kind of thing. 

That's just how I see it, and I realize I will never work in marketing...

Lars

5 hours ago, Lars68 said:

I've always thought it would be cool if a guitar company just gave us, let say ten basic models to pick from, and that's it. ”We make these ten different guitars, and we make them to the best of our ability”. Then within each model, the customer could pick from a narrow selection of different neck widths and neck shapes. If they figure out how to make a specific model better, then those changes would be introduced as soon as possible without giving the guitar a model year. Enough of this ”vintage”, ”original”, modern”, ”mystic”, ”supreme”, ”deluxe”, ”legend” kind of thing. 

Lars

I agree completely. There are waaay too many models with what I believe are waaay too few differences to justify their production.

And I'm not just picking on the folks at Gibson. Martin has done the same thing. Which is why I'm done buying and "only" own four guitars.

RBSinTo

5 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Well, that's a thought - and maybe it's more or less being practised already by smaller builders.

Would make the second hand link pretty hard to navigate in though.  Difficult to judge what you see in the ad in front of you, , , and to find what you're after.

But yes, the personalized custom idea is highly intriguing and (if withheld price-wise) it could be a hit. 

5 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

My Hummingbird gone?  Even just the thought is blasphemy!....lol....No, it’s not going anywhere.  I know that we get dramatic at times over our guitars, but I think I’d feel guiltily and even a bit depressed if that guitar was gone....lol...It would be like moving-on and leaving a treasured part of my life behind me.  If anything goes someday, it might be the J15.  Awesome guitar, but the walnut J100 fills the Walnut sound for me.  I don’t know.   Time will tell.

Reassuring to hear. It was just that story a few days ago about you leaning the Bird on a chair, , , for then to see it fall over with a drunkard upon it, which made me wonder. But maybe that was ages ago - and a whole other flier. 

8 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Lars

If a company limited itself to 10 and only 10 models - it would not be able to produce enough to grow into a larger company.  As Em7 noted - smaller builders do this.   The more experienced a person gets - the more he wants something different.  Bracing alone is a big variable. Nut width. Tone wood.  Burst or Natural.   Was it Henry Ford who said you could get any color Model T - as long as it's black?     Those who make commodity type products - like disposable razors - do not require lots of 'models'.   Ford and GM do have to offer lots and lots of variety.    It's been awhile since i looked at Martin's offerings - but my recollection was that they had 10x as many models as Gibson Acoustic.  . 

19 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Reassuring to hear. It was just that story a few days ago about you leaning the Bird on a chair, , , for then to see it fall over with a drunkard upon it, which made me wonder. But maybe that was ages ago - and a whole other flier. 

Yeah, that “bird” died in 81-82.  My first Hummingbird and dream guitar.  I think most of the damage was done when the guy couldn’t get-up without standing on the guitar..  I can still remember that crunching noise...lol....Life’s a bit-ch and then you die...lol....make the most of it.....Don’t think I’d feel complete without my  Hummingbird.  A couple times I considered trading it for a Bird TV, but in all sincerity I’d don’t know  if I’d like the TV better than the one  I’m totally satisfied with.  I’m simply “at home” with the guitar and it’s a good instrument to hide behind on stage...lol...

5 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yeah, that “bird” died in 81-82.  My first Hummingbird and dream guitar.  I think most of the damage was done when the guy couldn’t get-up without standing on the guitar..  I can still remember that crunching noise...lol....Life’s a bit-ch and then you die...lol....make the most of it.....Don’t think I’d feel complete without my  Hummingbird.  A couple times I considered trading it for a Bird TV, but in all sincerity I’d don’t know  if I’d like the TV better than the one  I’m totally satisfied with.  I’m simply “at home” with the guitar and it’s a good instrument to hide behind on stage...lol...

If the Standard does that for you it's sounds like the right partner was found - perhaps even closer than the early one. Which year was that from btw. . 

If the Standard does that for you it's sounds like the right partner was found - perhaps even closer than the early one. Which year was that from btw. . 

The early bird was an 80 or so.  I bought it new..  I’d only had it 5-6 months when it died...lol...Guitars kind of grow on you.  A good guitar becomes a great guitar after you’ve owned and played it for a long time.  You get real comfortable with it.....The new and shiny ones look and sound great, but they really don’t offer you anything you don’t already have.   

• Like 1

I think I'd like a Hummingbird original, but I'd certainly want to play a few before choosing.  Wish there was a place I could go and try several different models with different tonewoods to compare, but where I am no-one has that large of a selection in acoustics.

1 hour ago, Twang Gang said:

I think I'd like a Hummingbird original, but I'd certainly want to play a few before choosing.  Wish there was a place I could go and try several different models with different tonewoods to compare, but where I am no-one has that large of a selection in acoustics.

What exactly is a Hummingbird Original ?

'Playing a few' is a  rare luxus for most of us. Sometimes it takes years and it's a gamble as soon as the involved guitars are located in different places. Only way is to unzip the big wallet-pocket and get 2-3-4 home - for then to return the bronze and silver. A member did that with 3 J-45s recently and reported here 👍 I've tried the slow-mo version several times - it's a fest. 

21 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I suspect we’d all like a place like that, but these days they’re “far and few between.”  Guitar center used to be one of those places.  When I bought my Hummingbird, some 15-16 years ago, I was able to play two other birds too.  Plus, they had numerous other high-dollar Gibsons, Martins, and Taylors.  Now it’s a couple of Gibsons, a few Martins, and way-too-many Taylors and other guitars I’m not interested in.  .....I’ve ordered several guitars over the internet.  If you stick with places like GC and Wildwood (and there are a few others) that back-up what they sell and have great return policies, you can find a great Hummingbird.  If they say a “Used” guitar is in great/mint condition, you can be pretty sure it is.  Then, all you have to do is have it setup for “you,” if needed.  I hope you find the guitar you need.

On 7/4/2020 at 6:05 AM, Lars68 said:

If you had enough money burning in your pocket to spend on ANY ONE of the CURRENT guitars in the Gibson acoustic lineup, which one would you pick and why?

. . . (EDIT: Lars68 lists some reasons why the 50's J-185 would be his pick of the recent lineup). . . 

How about you, just for the sake of discussion?

Lars

1 hour ago, Twang Gang said:

Good of Gibson to go as far as to list the pickguard thickness of that HB Orig at  .060". And the SCCountry Western as exactly half of that thickness, .030": https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCSVU796/Sheryl-Crow-Country-Western-Supreme/Antique-Cherry.

It really is a huge selection of new models they've made available. Here's a link to the big menu:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Acoustic

. . if something there doesn't get you curious, consider yourself lucky- your wallet will thank you.

Edited by 62burst

10 minutes ago, 62burst said:

It really is a huge selection of new models they've made available. Here's a link to the big menu:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Acoustic

I sometimes have to pinch myself over the fact that I got a Firebird. Such a big and generous acoustic guitar. But when talking big, the re-necked 1966 CW gets more time here.  Been playing the Fb almost daily the recent period though. 
The pickguard thickness-difference is important - and as we know only a loyal echoe of the real deal when the squares were born.

I was just looking, once again at Firebird acoustics, as it dawned on me they're a good way to get around The bridge of the Dove. 

"Just looking". That's how it starts. But those flaming F-bird f-board inlays!

Edited by 62burst

14 minutes ago, 62burst said:

I was just looking, once again at Firebird acoustics, as it dawned on me they're a good way to get around The bridge of the Dove. 

"Just looking". That's how it starts. But those flaming F-bird f-board inlays!

The guitar truly burns - although there's something calm about the sound. I've learned to like the fret-decoration in all its green-purple-pink m-o-p-flamery.                                                                         What really bothered me was the p-guard and I simply had to put out that fire. 

40 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

. . . the p-guard . . .  I simply had to put out that fire. 

of the ones I've looked at, the engraving is not as deep, and the panzer paint wears thin after not too long, leaving only faint paint, and evidence of where the player played.

Here's the 2010 Firebird taken in 2012 and to(semi-cloudy)day (2020).

It's a bit hard to catch the exact hue, but this fairly close and we clearly see the beginning and highly welcome tan.

intp7KA.jpg XrW9757.jpg

Not so easy to spot the single golden tuner - anyone with or without hawk-eyes should take a summer-game shot.