Gibson Brands Forums

NCD

Dave F

A few weeks ago I contacted Hoffee about a case that could be used on my guitars between the Super400 (18") down to the J's and D's. (16") . I never need more than one case and did not want to get one  for every size. He suggested his 19" case with some pads. I also ordered one with the insulation, back straps and cover. It arrived today and looks great. The Super400 isn't home to try out but it looks like there's room for it.

I already sold the Calton case and have a couple Hiscox that will go.

Hoffee

Hoffee

Hoffee

Hoffee

Hoffee

Hoffee

Hoffee

Hoffee

Hoffee

Hoffee

Hoffee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really is a one size fits all with that extra padding, provided its stored so it can be found.  Seems like you made a good investment to protect your instruments.  

For airline flights, I use a hard-shell case larger than the guitar I take with me on flights and keep a box of foam padding, bubble wrap, Styrofoam chips, etc in my garage to fill in all of the open spots in the case (as well as to put above and below the guitar) to serve as extra padding.  Looks like the case you bought has all of that come with the case.  One thing I notice missing in your case though is extra padding to fill the space at the top of the headstock and under and above the headstock.  I usually use foam in those spots in my makeshift version of the case I use during airline travel.  You might want to add that into yours if it didn't come with extra padding for that spot.    

Congrats on an exceptional travel case.

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

5 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

Really is a one size fits all with that extra padding, provided its stored so it can be found.  Seems like you made a good investment to protect your instruments.  

For airline flights, I use a hard-shell case larger than the guitar I take with me on flights and keep a box of foam padding, bubble wrap, Styrofoam chips, etc in my garage to fill in all of the open spots in the case (as well as to put above and below the guitar) to serve as extra padding.  Looks like the case you bought has all of that come with the case.  One thing I notice missing in your case though is extra padding to fill the space at the top of the headstock and under and above the headstock.  I usually use foam in those spots in my makeshift version of the case I use during airline travel.  You might want to add that into yours if it didn't come with extra padding for that spot.    

Congrats on an exceptional travel case.

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

Behind the headstock is fully supported. 

I watched one of the Tony Polecastro's Acoustic Tuesday shows and is that one of those cases you can take a flame thrower to and throw it off the top of a roof and your guitar comes out unscathed?

That case is begging for stickers.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I watched one of the Tony Polecastro's Acoustic Tuesday shows and is that one of those cases you can take a flame thrower to and throw it off the top of a roof and your guitar comes out unscathed?

That case is begging for stickers.

nah,,  I'd be breaking out the carnuba wax and hittin it weekly..

21 minutes ago, slimt said:

Whats that?  A 1000.00 case?  I have quite a few Caltons when they were made here in Calgary   Ive heard Hoffees are way better.  

Standard base price is 1250

the Calton I had was one of the older ones made in Calgary. It was very nice. 

Edited by Dave F

On 7/8/2020 at 11:48 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Its not a surfboard.

No, it's not. But this one looks like it could tow a waterskiing squirrel no problem.

Those photos of the guitars in their new Hoffee home all look great, but the J-185 and the Legend look super-comfy. Firestripe guards usually take some getting used to, but on the VOS finish of the Ledge, it really blends nicely. 

Is that case carbon fiber? It would be strong enough that it wouldn't have to be as thick as wood- and it's sides do look thinner. Lighter?

I never thought of a large case with padding to fit smaller guitars so you could use it for different ones.  Looks like it should do the job well and very heavy duty.  The nicest case I ever had came with my Collings guitar.  The case was designed by Collings, but is made by TKL.  It has no less than 6 latches, a key lock and a little pad that folds in at the sixth fret to keep the strings from vibrating (I guess).  Doesn't pad the headstock much at all, but does keep it suspended in air.

R3qDozK.jpg

Edited by Twang Gang