Gibson Brands Forums

old threads resurrected

There are a large number of old thread resurrections across the site always from newbies. 

I had thought this was one fellow, creating sock puppets & messing about. But now I see another where someone has replied to a 9 year old thread but clearly done some research into it, so I really don't know. Got to remember to check those dates!

Maybe the mods have some insight? 

• Haha 2

Mate, to be fair this place has gone downhill so far in the past 4 years I'd probably rather look at the old stuff too! (The change in the format of the forum to an inferior product has only exacerbated the situation).

Funny you should raise this as I was thinking about exhuming an old thread from the past each week to amuse myself and possibly others...but what you are referring  to is not down to me, maybe others had the same thought? [laugh]

Edited by 'Scales

One brand new member who's done this, I think 3 times on the acoustic forum, has said he's a retired woodworker living in NC who works on restoring guitars.   So, I don't think he's 'an old school gamer'.     I've always had a problem with this:  It's like realizing you just got half way through your bowl of Cheerios and the milk expired last month !    Often it seems the new poster hasn't advanced the old discussion, and probably hasn't read the thread.   Sort of like "GroundHogDay" the movie.   I use to post a  "Zombie Thread" alert on them  - but gave up, because some would comment that  it was disrespectful or something.    

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

One brand new member who's done this, I think 3 times on the acoustic forum, has said he's a retired woodworker living in NC who works on restoring guitars.   So, I don't think he's 'an old school gamer'.     I've always had a problem with this:  It's like realizing you just got half way through your bowl of Cheerios and the milk expired last month !    Often it seems the new poster hasn't advanced the old discussion, and probably hasn't read the thread.   Sort of like "GroundHogDay" the movie.   I use to post a  "Zombie Thread" alert on them  - but gave up, because some would comment that  it was disrespectful or something.    

If the reason it has resurfaced is still on point and a relevant question,  what's the diff if it's a new thread, or a resurrection of an old one?  

• Thanks 1

If you look under the thread title there is a date and Year is included if it's a previous year than current year. I'm missed this myself, but it is there to see.

Either way it doesn't bother me too much. I like the stroll down memory lane. Kinda like the idea by Scales about bringing back one each week. 😀

5 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Mate, to be fair this place has gone downhill so far in the past 4 years I'd probably rather look at the old stuff too! (The change in the format of the forum to an inferior product has only exacerbated the situation).

I've heard that a few times, and being a relative newbie (last year and half or so...) bums me out.  What was it that made the forum good before, and any ideas on how to trend back in that direction.  What makes for a good forum...  need to attract more hardcore players is it?  Just wondering.

1 hour ago, uncle fester said:

I've heard that a few times, and being a relative newbie (last year and half or so...) bums me out.  What was it that made the forum good before, and any ideas on how to trend back in that direction.  What makes for a good forum...  need to attract more hardcore players is it?  Just wondering.

One big change that many members moved on from was when the forum UI was updated to what it is today.  I think a lot of people had problems with it, and things like ipads, and smart phones.  And many just didn't like the layout.  

When I joined up (2012), seems  there was overall, a lot more activity and there was very little -- monkey business --

It was a friendly relaxed environment.    Getting BACK there is easy,  we need to cut the crap with the rock fights that go on in these threads.   we are at present bleeding some good and long standing members because of it.   we just need to stop it.  really.

We're ALL players here.   The Moderators are here, and they are among us, but they are letting us manage ourselves right now.   But they don't have to, and if this continues I can guarantee they won't remain silent.    Go check out the Acoustic Guitar Forum sometime, try to do there what is done here.  You'll find out pretty quick that aint gonna fly. 

btw.. I like the AGF, check it out Unc..

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, kidblast said:

If the reason it has resurfaced is still on point and a relevant question,  what's the diff if it's a new thread, or a resurrection of an old one?  

Fair enough, but one to cite one example: There's one begun by someone asking the whereabouts of model-specific hardware. That question was answered recently with a link to what he wanted. Except to OP was posted 9 years ago, and his last post of this forum was 5 years ago. 

44 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Sgt Pepper has been given a week off for his vulgar remark about another forum member. That post has been hidden from view. 

Well, thanks for letting us know. 

I saw it. But he had been holding it together pretty well up until then. 

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

Sgt Pepper has been given a week off for his vulgar remark about another forum member. That post has been hidden from view. 

It was a reply to one of my comments about the current trend going on here.  That,, unfortunately had the opposite effect of what I was hoping would happen.   I wasn't sure if you stepped in or he deleted it...   Thx for the update on this..

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, uncle fester said:

More people, more breadth of topics I guess. I'd say there were probably 100+ strong regular contributors across the Gibson and Epiphone lounge five years ago, now the Epi lounge is just a few oldsters quietly chatting about life mainly and the Gibison lounge isn't that much either (topics either don't take hold or don't attract broad interest...and there's not much new stuff so they hang around on the first page a while) - out of interest I just looked at the forums list page and the Gibson USA forum (flagship forum for Gibson electrics) still has the most recent post as one of mine from two days ago. That says something about the interest levels.

this 'updated' platform has some major flaws - the biggest for me is that you can no longer see if you are in a conversation - ie that people are replying to and/or watching the thread you are posting in. When combined with latency issues in posts it kills the interactive aspects, it's more a case of post and come back later to see if any reply nowadays....I suspect this has driven far more away than the odd troll - we always had them and it was quite fun when you could actually engage in conversation rather than 'dump and run' under the new platform. ....for me anyway.