Gibson Brands Forums

old threads resurrected

Things change, forums evolve. 
Some get better, and some die off altogether. 

As a long-time web-forum contributor, member, moderator, admin, and even web-site originator/host, I have learned this much;

These are the best of times, these are the worst of times. 

The only constants in life are death and taxes. 

and, 

You can't please everybody. 
So don't even try. 
Just try to bring joy to others, and give more than you take. 

The truth, even, I have found, is subjective. 
So that even is a moving target, and the left and right limits move day by day.

Just have fun. 
And do more good than harm. 

And you'll find that you wake up each morning looking forward to logging back onto forum.gibson.com, and we'll all be the better for it. 

😑

I see that another old thread from 2010 was just resurrected. The one who brought it back has exactly 1 Post to their name. I have to conclude that person did some kind of internet search and got that thread as a result. 

It was funny to see some of the old BANNED members like Neoconman, Blackie, Steve and even Fred.   Man time flies. 

Interesting Saturn ....      I think the one you mean is here in The Lounge -  "People's 100 most beautiful people" .      Ironically, nothing about guitars or music even.  OP noted one of the girls picked was EXTREMELY OVERWEIGHT - and far from how most people would define 'beautiful'.   Some  'Fat Jokes' surfaced.  Some people fired back that jokes were insensitive. and it went back and forth.    What I found interesting - was comparing it to the current  PC/Woke/SnowFlake culture we have now.   I was thinking it just sort of erupted. Not so - as far back, probably further than, 10 years  - we were learning that  jokes  about being fat, skinny, Jewish, Black, White Portuguese or anything else was  insensitive.  Some tried to distinguish  between a general joke - not directed to any one person and one directed to an individual.  Former esteemed member Milod made some  great points.  

While I  hate Zombie threads from 10 years ago   - usually commenting on 'what models are Gibson discontinuing'  -   I found this an interesting glimpse into how we've evolved, both as forum and a country.     Slippery Slope - fifty shades of gray... 

I have no clue what the person who resurrected this thread was searching for.  Not guitar or Gibson stuff, that's for sure. Maybe  'fat jokes'. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 7/8/2020 at 10:29 AM, 'Scales said:

Mate, to be fair this place has gone downhill so far in the past 4 years I'd probably rather look at the old stuff too! (The change in the format of the forum to an inferior product has only exacerbated the situation).

Funny you should raise this as I was thinking about exhuming an old thread from the past each week to amuse myself and possibly others...but what you are referring  to is not down to me, maybe others had the same thought? [laugh]

Well it sounds like a good idea. The only thing about this that bugged me was when I don't notice the date. -'feeling duped' as Sgt put it.

• 3 weeks later...

I necro-ed a months old thread recently and was pretty embarrassed by the newb mistake. I’ve been registered on the current forum since ‘07, but have been away a long while. With the pandemic, I’ve had time to play more, and have been reading and posting a little. 

Edited by zombiewuff

9 hours ago, zombiewuff said:

I necro-ed a months old thread recently and was pretty embarrassed by the newb mistake. I’ve been registered on the current forum since ‘07, but have been away a long while. With the pandemic, I’ve had time to play more, and have been reading and posting a little. 

Welcome back!