Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for Les Paul

Hi, Pippy. 
Great to see you alive and kicking. 
Happy Anniversary to you and the missus. 

Uncle Social, 
Can you tell us more about where you recall seeing this Les Paul in the late 1970's?
Private sale, retail music store, new, or used?

It sounds like you are remembering a guitar that might've been a Standard, Custom, or a Deluxe that had been refinished in Midnight Blue Metallic. 

As rct observed, the first Studios to be offered were in 1983 or 1984. 

I know how vexing it can be to get a guitar stuck in your head. 

I recall a Telecaster hanging in a music store, down south, and back in the  late 1980's or early 1990's. It had a lilac metallic finish, and all black hardware and pickups. 
(Very unusual, now that I know more about Tele's, right?)

Years later, I think on that guitar, and as I noodle around the internet, I can't find any sort of Fender Telecaster that was ever made or sold in that colour and with those features.  Most frustrating!

I can recall visiting Blue Springs State Park in lower Alabama many years ago. 
The water in the springs was bitterly ice-cold. Bone-numbingly cold. 

My daughter was fussing about not wanting to get into such cold water, and indeed, there were very few people in the water at the time. 

I wanted to set an example of bravery and bravado, and so I climbed in and started wading in, and then dove directly into the frigid shallows. 
I came immediately to the surface with a gasping inhalation, unable to breathe or even move another step. 
It was startling how ice-cold that water was, and as I tried to get over the shock to my system, out of the water, right in front of me, came a woman. 

She was wading my way, preparing to exit the water. 
I have never in my life before, or since, ever seen a more beautiful woman. 
Hair plastered back, stunning ice blue eyes, graceful demeanor, and a bikini-clad body that was perfection. 

I couldn't breathe. 
I stood there trembling, my flesh and my private bits tight and shrunken in the chill of the water. 
My ears became thick and all sounds went away save for my heartbeat.

I was transfixed. Stunned. 

The Goddess gracefully and silently walked past me, climbed out and disappeared from my sight. 
I stood there for a few more moments, and finally began to take in oxygen. 
The sun warmed my back, the sounds of people playing in the park returned, and I heard my daughter calling me. 

"Daddy, are you okay?  DAD, are you alright??"

I turned, nodded, and then waded back out. 
The beautiful woman was gone. 

"Yeah, baby. I'm alright. Say, that water is too cold to swim in. Let's go over to the swimming pool. "

We walked away from the springs, and I searched the camp grounds, looking for any sign or evidence of the woman I had seen coming out of the pool. 
She wasn't there. 

I have often looked back, over the years, and wondered if she was ever there. 

🙁 

• Thanks 1