Gibson Brands Forums

Boss HA-5 Play Bus Headphone Amp

mihcmac

This is a Boss HA-5 Headphone Amp that came out in about 83.

A little bigger than a WalkMan.

Guitar input with Overdrive and Chorus or Delay.

2 headphone inputs.

Mic Input. (headphone mic).

Cassette input (Aux).

Bus system for connecting multiple HA-5's for monitor which you could hear the other players including voice.

Used 6 AA batteries.

000000112825825-00-1200x1200.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I had one of these until I wore it out.

Just wondering if anyone knows about them or if there is anything similar today..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The original Tom Schultz "Rockman" had a lot of those features. Those might be hard to find too now.

There's always fleabay: 

Link

Yep the Rockmans sounded really good and pricey like the Play Bus which were over 200 and you had to use good headphones that costed as much as the device.

I saw the eBay link from Japan, but if I got an original one I think I would prefer a closer seller.. 

37 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

I use one of these when I want to play without others having to hear it - so much fun, so little money! (Other varieties available with differnt effects)

I have seen some of those but did not know about this improved version the Vox amPlug 2 Classic Rock with multiple effects and swivel jack..

What he doesn't show (if I recall) is that each effect across chorus, delay and reverb has 3 quite different settings - for delay anything from slap back to Gilmouresqe for example. It has such a wide range available it's actually very cool to mess round with yet simple enough.

Edited by 'Scales

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The Boss HA-5 is actually pretty unique.  I'm a huge Boss fan, that thing looks very cool. 

If I was looking for a tiny practice amp with headphones and aux, I would probably try out a Fender Mustang Mini.   They have the same DSP as the bigger Mustang amps.  The sound is most likely excellent through headphones. But it's no replacement for the HA-5.   You might end up with 2 or more devices to cover all your bases. 

The Boss HA-5 does a lot of stuff including the Bus connection where you can have several players connected and all in your headphones, you can run the feed into a PA with each individual balancing their own level.

The Mustang Mini sounds pretty cool but I have 6 Roland Micro Cubes that do pretty much the same thing also battery powered and can play anywhere.. Playing in a park by the water or beach or street corner I have done frequently, at times when the mood strikes me. I do love playing out doors and joining in with a drum circle can be incredible.

PmPpMj6.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I want to try that Cube stack!  

The Cube stack is pretty incredible with digital sampled amp models, the Rectifier setting is awesome and with each amp slightly out of faze it creates quite a wall of sound.

I have been using the Rolands for quite a while, gradually in creasing in number, I have moved into the tube world with my Stage Right 15's when I have AC power.

3BqxmWY.jpg

I have also stuffed foam into my Honeytone amp to help it not sound like a plastic box, when I'm walking around.

Being retired and feeling that any time not playing is time waisted, I am looking for ways to cover every situation.. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac

23 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I have one of those Honeytones.  I might try that trick - the sound just gets eaten up as soon as you're not in a small room.  Also have my original Pignose.   Lost or broke the power adapter years ago and the pot is really scratchy.  Had to have one after the first time I saw "Crossroads".

Awh yes Pignose were quite remarkable, and you can still get new ones and parts..

Honeytone update.... The packing seems to be working but may have clipped the high end a little, so I'm going remove some material leading to one of the vents in the back which I had blocked.

*********** So what does everyone think is the best headphone amp...***********

Edited by mihcmac