Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Belated Father's Day to me

SteveFord

Tortoises didn't get me anything, wife didn't get me anything, dog didn't get me anything, snakes and lizards idea of a present is a bowel movement SO screw those guys, Happy Father's Day To Me from me.  

sNWlclE.jpg

3Ps6mP3.jpg

Guess I should pick up a Thank You card for myself, manners count a lot with me.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like something I would do.  Wait?  I guess I did! Haha.  Yeah, that is beutifull Steve, I like White and it looks really clean. Congrats and hope you now had a Happy Birthday and Fathers Day.  My Fathers Day present to myself has come in but I'm still waiting for my Birthday present. 

• Like 1

It should be here Hump Day so if it's like the one I tried out years ago (and couldn't afford) it should be a really good day.

The neck on that 2012 61 Reissue is just too skinny for me, it feels like about 5mm of the back of it got left on the shop floor as someone was learning how to use the band sander

NO, NOT LIKE THAT!!!  

Too late, hand me the glue...

Around a dozen electrics, 3 acoustics, something like that.  You get to a point where stuff just sits and that's a waste.  How many does anyone need?  I know, one more...

I've got 3, maybe 4 electrics on my list and then it's time to turn my attention to home and hearth.

After that white Vox amp, of course.  Or maybe a Marshall combo amp.  Never had a Mesa Boogie but always was curious about them.

Edited by SteveFord

10 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Around a dozen electrics, 3 acoustics, something like that.  You get to a point where stuff just sits and that's a waste.  How many does anyone need?  I know, one more...

I've got 3, maybe 4 electrics on my list and then it's time to turn my attention to home and hearth.

After that white Vox amp, of course.  Or maybe a Marshall combo amp.  Never had a Mesa Boogie but always was curious about them.

Steve - do you ever pair guitars up to amps trying to replicate sounds of specific songs?  Or do you give any thought to what amps you would use with which guitar?   ... or just plug in what's there and go with it?

Edited by uncle fester

I had Ampeg as a yewt and Marshall when I got older so it's just plug in and curse at the defective guitar cord.

I'm guitar heavy and amp poor: a little beater Crate amp I inherited from my wife's kid and then a 100W Marshall half stack.  The Marshall is too much for my neighborhood so I'll have to get something that sounds good but won't drive everyone insane.  A smaller Marshall combo is probably what I'll do.  It would have to be tube, their solid state stuff sounds terrible.

I really haven't been keeping up but it looks like their less expensive stuff is now made in Viet Nam or someplace like that.  

Here's something that will bring out the Angry Mob:

NbDvZ9R.jpg

7 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I had Ampeg as a yewt and Marshall when I got older so it's just plug in and curse at the defective guitar cord.

I'm guitar heavy and amp poor: a little beater Crate amp I inherited from my wife's kid and then a 100W Marshall half stack.  The Marshall is too much for my neighborhood so I'll have to get something that sounds good but won't drive everyone insane.  A smaller Marshall combo is probably what I'll do.  It would have to be tube, their solid state stuff sounds terrible.

I really haven't been keeping up but it looks like their less expensive stuff is now made in Viet Nam or someplace like that.  

NbDvZ9R.jpg

When I was a teen, I had a tall amp like that. Might have been a bit taller? It was way too loud for the house, I had to set the amp between 1/2 to 1 on volume,  Much more than that my mom was screaming at me. All the pictures on the walls upstairs were shaking, Lol. I had like 13 to 15 guitars if you add my Banjo, and Electric steel guitar. Cannot remember any of the brand names though.  A Silver Jet Gretsch and Ovation 12 string are the only 2  that I can remember names. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

NbDvZ9R.jpg

I have a couple of small Marshalls - a DSL15c and a DSL1c and they are both excellent. Also come with a switch on the back to halve the wattage if you feel they are too loud. Being a bedroom player, I can't crank mine too much (not unless I wish to preserve my marriage anyway) but they both sound very respectable even at low volumes.

If you aren't completely put off by solid state, I would also recommend the new Vox Cambridge50. Got one of those the other day and it is superb. Even has a a variety of amp voicings from classic Vox AC30 to Dumble Overdrive Special. Sounds awesome. I don't know or understand the full intricacies of the technology but it uses something called a NuTube to simulate a proper vacuum tube. It's kind of a halfway house between full tube amp and solid state. I struggle to tell the difference between it and my tube amps.

NbDvZ9R.jpg

The Monoprice Stage Right 15 watt w/ 12" Celestion are made in China but shipped from Hebron, Kentucky.

Or you could get a comparable Blues Jr  for more than twice as much...

My Deluxe 900 has been collecting dust since my SR 15's came in.. My 3 chan Deluxe with 7 amp models did not come close to a Blues Jr.

V7DbvdR.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Much food for thought, thank you!

That SG just showed and the neck has some girth to it so I know this one is a keeper.

I was really worried it would feel like a twig and I'd hate it.  NOPE!

The first SG's had the thin taper neck but some of the early SG shaped Les Pauls had the thicker 50's profile. The shape of the SG neck tenon changed several times over the years to improve rigidity. The 61 SG had smallest tenon giving you thin access all the way to the 22nd fret.

Also notice the strap button keeps moving forward to combat neck dive.. This is an image from the web....

img_0683-1024x728.jpg

FYI: the Epiphone SG G400 series neck geometry is modeled on the 61 SG..

Edited by mihcmac