Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Belated Father's Day to me

SteveFord

This white one that just showed feels like old 73/74 SG Standard for the few seconds I handled it until I put it back into the case.  I'll give it a few more hours to even out with the temperature before I mess with it but I just HAD to check it out.  No returns but the price was reasonable so I took a chance on it.  It will take some fiddling around with, I could tell that much.  Strings, lemon oil, truss rod, that kind of stuff.

The one weird one was a 2005 Classic that I had - really tall frets and a giant D shaped neck.  That particular neck was just horrible.  As one guy said it felt like it belonged on a classical guitar.  

A yellow faded Special (2007?) had a pretty nice neck on it, similar to the faded Les Paul Specials from around then, but the guitar just felt like it was built down to a cost which it was.

I've seen that picture before, they went through a lot of variations with this model over the years.  I know some people will go "hey, mojo o' plenty" but to me it looks like the front 6  were owned by alcoholics who were own on their luck so sold them off.  

• Like 1

You can't own 'em all, you know!

This is my first guitar with locking tuners (other than those Steinburgers) which shows where I've been and how seldom I buy guitars (been years).  Really clever design.

Made in 3/2017, has the birthday picture and I don't think it was ever really played, not a mark on it.  I can't imagine buying one and then leaving it in the case but people do all sorts of weird things.  I'm not ridiculously picky but no imperfections jump out at me, workmanship looks really good.

Lemon oil, new strings, initial 2 truss rod adjustments (I use 11s so the neck always bows a bit), action set and it already feels 100% better than when it showed up.

Time to go and fool around with it some and get rid of that new guitar feel.

P.S.

Think I can scratch the SG off of the Coronavirus Bucket List.  This one had me worried, what if it sucks?  

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 4:46 PM, SteveFord said:

Tortoises didn't get me anything, wife didn't get me anything, dog didn't get me anything, snakes and lizards idea of a present is a bowel movement SO screw those guys, Happy Father's Day To Me from me.  

sNWlclE.jpg

3Ps6mP3.jpg

Guess I should pick up a Thank You card for myself, manners count a lot with me.

Beautiful SG.  Love the Gold on White.

• Like 1

Yeah, where have you been?  I miss seeing your posts here.

Gibson did a tremendous job with this one and the best part is the neck, it's just perfect for me.  I probably say this about a lot of things but I couldn't be any happier with it.  I have to mess with the bridge pick up a little bit as the low E string is ridiculously overpowering now that I've got the neck adjusted and the action real low.

It was strange how it went: there was a semi-beat up one for auction for a couple hundred bucks more and this had a Buy It Now and I stupidly put in a low offer, the next morning I woke up it was declined, cancelled and sold in the space of 30 seconds so I'm kicking myself for being so damned cheap.  Well, maybe the guitar was screwed up and that's why the original owner never took off the pick guard plastic, it's probably for the best, must be something wrong with it so just forget the whole thing...

The buyer must have flaked out because a week later it's back up for Buy It Now so I put in a slightly better offer and went to bed wondering if I'm just a total idiot or maybe only a complete idiot for being so cheap.  I wake up, offer accepted, I think I broke the sound barrier paying for it.

PHEW!

• Like 1

If all goes well a REALLY nice once.

Getting towards the end of the list.  The goal was to have it all wrapped up by September and I think I can do it.  Might be end of September but Rick Nielsen can sleep well at night, my list wasn't all that big.

I think this SG was sold due to the way the bridge pick up was adjusted.  I don't know who did it but it sounds terrible with the low E string sounding like the Note Of Doom, ha ha.

Edited by SteveFord