Gibson Brands Forums

NG- 2020 SJ-200 Pre-War Historic Series

BoSoxBiker

PB, I have two red line cases like yours with the seemingly difficult "snap latch". They just require a breaking in. The one is for my L-OO 

Vintage and the SJ 200 Pre War Historic I picked up yesterday. The other cases like the top case in the photo are like it that house a Humminbird Vintage and a J45 TV and have that tannish color.  Much better builds on those. All in all though after a small break in period

the others work fine but the quality of the inside ( the purple linings ) have a lot to be desired.  I have no regrets with the acquisition of the

Historic SJ200 like yours but will leave it for a future thread so not to conflict with this one !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

There's nothing to see on the case. It's the same one as shown every where. It's just an aggravating thing to align up properly to get the buckles to snap shut.

Perhaps the great string shortage when it was time to pack the case?

The nut is impossible to see clearly in any photo I've taken. I'll double my efforts to find my tripod's attachment piece goes onto the bottom of my camera and get a better shot. It is a 15 year old SLR that exaggerates whites and smudges detaul. Just old tech.  This, below, is the closest I've come to being able to capture it. My Wife's new-ish phone camera blown up. It was taken the weekend I got it. The black spec is in the middle of the little dimple, which I didn't notice until trying take pictures. The white specs and the black dot were severely exaggerated by the camera. This is not representative of reality, but it's the best I've got for now.

oE2IHEl.jpg

That spec of black was put there  to round off the nut which was not done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slimt said:

It is just fully amazing how it can look like that after so many, many people and departments have been looking at it! (usually fret the neck, file them and add the nut.......and then on to all the other processes after up until setup and quality control......and nobody saw that!).

Hmmmm. Send it back or they will keep doing this stuff.

BluesKing777.

Good info, Byrd and Slim. So the case on the Pre-War is different (& different manufacturer- PatsBkr- has the Harptone label been removed from outside of the case pocket?) than the case Brucebubs will most likely receive for his Someday-200. Ironically, the Redline case is more costly, https://www.guitargal.com/products/harptone-1930-redline-dreadnought-guitar-case?variant=3735143448616&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0uOs68P-6gIV3v_jBx3SJwAdEAQYASABEgISQfD_BwE, and if it can't be coerced into behaving, an Amazon search for Gibson SJ-200 Dark Rosewood case can turn one up.

7 hours ago, freebyrd said:

PB, I have two red line cases like yours with the seemingly difficult "snap latch". They just require a breaking in. The one is for my L-OO 

Vintage and the SJ 200 Pre War Historic I picked up yesterday. The other cases like the top case in the photo are like it that house a Humminbird Vintage and a J45 TV and have that tannish color.  Much better builds on those. All in all though after a small break in period

the others work fine but the quality of the inside ( the purple linings ) have a lot to be desired.  I have no regrets with the acquisition of the

Historic SJ200 like yours but will leave it for a future thread so not to conflict with this one !

Thanks for the information on those. I look forward to reading about your new prizes, too. They do deserve threads on their own. Until then, I trust you're getting along just fine, then?  🙂

6 hours ago, slimt said:

4 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

It is just fully amazing how it can look like that after so many, many people and departments have been looking at it! (usually fret the neck, file them and add the nut.......and then on to all the other processes after up until setup and quality control......and nobody saw that!).

Hmmmm. Send it back or they will keep doing this stuff.

It was something not hard to see when blown up at the right angle in a digital format designed to exploit detail. These two shots show how easy it is to miss. I didn't catch the dimple until a strap was over my shoulder and I had played it for some time. I didn't catch the spec until it showed up on a pic. 

I understand the sentiment to send it back, but I'm leaving well enough alone. Too much can happen for something that can be remedied without being bounced around in shipping for a week. Especially this time of year.

YY4waYf.jpg

and blown up

DahCdjj.jpg

2 hours ago, 62burst said:

Good info, Byrd and Slim. So the case on the Pre-War is different (& different manufacturer- PatsBkr- has the Harptone label been removed from outside of the case pocket?) than the case Brucebubs will most likely receive for his Someday-200. Ironically, the Redline case is more costly, https://www.guitargal.com/products/harptone-1930-redline-dreadnought-guitar-case?variant=3735143448616&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0uOs68P-6gIV3v_jBx3SJwAdEAQYASABEgISQfD_BwE, and if it can't be coerced into behaving, an Amazon search for Gibson SJ-200 Dark Rosewood case can turn one up.

I had no idea these things were so high $$$. I've got no label on mine like the white one on the pic within the link you sent.

Well, I would send the guitar AND case back.

Complaining about them on the forum won't help anything.

I have a thing about it because every Gibson acoustic I own has had to get a new nut made - back in 2007, I should have sent the Blues King back - nut and saddle were a disgrace, but we live and learn! The one my luthier made is fab still! 

BluesKing777.

11 hours ago, slimt said:

If it was me , I would not send it back. When its due for its next setup. Get the luthier to round it off. Or just leave it for conversation. 
Nice guitar though.    

Yeah, no, I read about folks longing for guitars past all the time. The one great sounding player they passed on, or the one they sold during a fit of GAS. Not happening. I already got haunted by passing on a great '68 Hummingbird 5 years, 2 months and 14 days ago. (roughly noon) I don't really want to have another one added to the short list.

Folks, this is one of those guitars that you sit down with, open up a lyric sheet to play a song only to realize that two hours has passed and you're still noodling.

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

Well, I would send the guitar AND case back.

I have a thing about it because every Gibson acoustic I own has had to get a new nut made - back in 2007, I should have sent the Blues King back - nut and saddle were a disgrace, but we live and learn! The one my luthier made is fab still!

Your Blues King - 13 years. You still have it. You didn't send it back. Your luthier made you a nut and a saddle - one a guitar you still have and just bragged about - and you insist sending it back would have been better for you?  Hey, we have two ways of looking at things and that's what makes the world go around. But I have to say that I agree with the 2007 decision.

I think I am more inclined to agree with you than disagree with you on the case. That said, as soon as I get a brown one that fits in the spot, this one that does not fit in my storage spot will go to the back of some closet and be in pristine shape to sell with the guitar when the time comes for my Son to unload his dead-Daddy's gear. Besides, maybe using it a few more weeks will break those buckles in a bit like was suggested earlier. And then it goes into the closet. 🙂

56 minutes ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Your Blues King - 13 years. You still have it. You didn't send it back. Your luthier made you a nut and a saddle - one a guitar you still have and just bragged about - and you insist sending it back would have been better for you?  Hey, we have two ways of looking at things and that's what makes the world go around. But I have to say that I agree with the 2007 decision.

I think I am more inclined to agree with you than disagree with you on the case. That said, as soon as I get a brown one that fits in the spot, this one that does not fit in my storage spot will go to the back of some closet and be in pristine shape to sell with the guitar when the time comes for my Son to unload his dead-Daddy's gear. Besides, maybe using it a few more weeks will break those buckles in a bit like was suggested earlier. And then it goes into the closet. 🙂

I guess you didn't read me correctly - I am trying to say that I should have sent the Blues King back in 2007 and a J45 in 2010 that had a wobbly nut also, and perhaps, just perhaps if everyone sent them back, this rubbish would not still be leaving the factory.

I have cheap and cheerful and very expensive guitars and the only ones that ever came with dodgy nuts and saddles were - you guess.

You have worked on the guitar and your warranty is probably shot anyway.

BluesKing777.

Just to clarify as we're on the 3rd page now.

Wildwood did exactly what I asked them to do. They got me a replacement nut. Two of them, actually.

AND, they offered to see if they could exchange the cases for me, getting me a brown one to replace the black one. It was me who declined, telling them that I would want the original case to be with the guitar with something as that was marketed as a "period correct case". I thought the standard issue modern-day brown case would diminish the investment for the next person in line. One extra case can always be sold.

If I indicated anything other than show and tell over the nut, it was not the tone intended. I am a bit unhappy at the buckles and the case in general, but certainly not angry enough to diminish my mood for even a moment.

I'm happier than the village idiot at an ice cream truck.

4 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

I guess you didn't read me correctly - I am trying to say that I should have sent the Blues King back in 2007 and a J45 in 2010 that had a wobbly nut also, and perhaps, just perhaps if everyone sent them back, this rubbish would not still be leaving the factory.

I have cheap and cheerful and very expensive guitars and the only ones that ever came with dodgy nuts and saddles were - you guess.

You have worked on the guitar and your warranty is probably shot anyway.

I did not read you incorrectly. I understood everything you said. I just disagree with your own assessment of your previous actions. I think you did the right thing. No, it may not have been for the greater good, but man, you've got two guitars that you enjoy not because of something you did not do, but because of something you did do. Made it perfect yourself. My proof came from you. You still have those guitars and are proud of them.

Just because you have a right does not mean it is in your best interest all of the time to exercise the right. There are times when it's in your best interest to NOT. We're old. We know this already. 99.9% of my battle to get a guitar along the order I want is done. I'm not risking that on some nick on the nut. That's my decision.

And no, I did not work on my guitar in a manner that negated a warranty. I filed a single nut slot down .003" and changed the strings. I am allowed that. If I damage my guitar in the process of doing that or if the guitar suffers damage due to the result of what I've done, than that's on me. I didn't reset a neck or anything. I didn't turn it into a lefty. You think replacing tuners negates a warranty?  You think you runing your warranty by playing musical chairs with your pickups?

2 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

I did not read you incorrectly. I understood everything you said. I just disagree with your own assessment of your previous actions. I think you did the right thing. No, it may not have been for the greater good, but man, you've got two guitars that you enjoy not because of something you did not do, but because of something you did do. Made it perfect yourself. My proof came from you. You still have those guitars and are proud of them.

Just because you have a right does not mean it is in your best interest all of the time to exercise the right. There are times when it's in your best interest to NOT. We're old. We know this already. 99.9% of my battle to get a guitar along the order I want is done. I'm not risking that on some nick on the nut. That's my decision.

And no, I did not work on my guitar in a manner that negated a warranty. I filed a single nut slot down .003" and changed the strings. I am allowed that. If I damage my guitar in the process of doing that or if the guitar suffers damage due to the result of what I've done, than that's on me. I didn't reset a neck or anything. I didn't turn it into a lefty. You think replacing tuners negates a warranty?  You think you runing your warranty by playing musical chairs with your pickups?

You are still misunderstanding or not reading correctly...

One more time - if everyone keeps accepting poorly made guitar parts, then they will keep selling rubbish.

I hope Bruce from Eden gets his in good condition if and when it arrives, because it will near to impossible to return it from there.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

6 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

One more time - if everyone keeps accepting poorly made guitar parts, then they will keep selling rubbish.

I hope Bruce from Eden gets his in good condition if and when it arrives, because it will near to impossible to return it from there.

BluesKing777.

You know, if you can't understand my counter point to that, I have nothing for you. I fully understand your point. Sending back guitars with loose saddles will be the only way Gibson stops selling guitars with loose saddles. Gotchya. I've understood the whole time. I've been arguing against that point the whole time in a micro sense or the personal level. Which is to say, it does me no good to take part in the great send guitars back to Gibson crusade that never happened.

To make another counter point on the macro, or global level or high level, I totally disagree with your comment below.

12 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

To the contrary, they most certainly do help.

The biggest thing that does help is the almighty dollar. When the big company's sales are flat and they look around to see why, they need to look no further than their own forum and ones like AGF or the Martin forum. 5 years ago, you couldn't blink an eye without seeing some comment somewhere about bad Gibson quality, Two years ago, people started realizing maybe that wasn't the case any more. They watched sale crap out, they found out why easy enough (quality and value) and they fixed the problem. Not completely, no, but enough so that the bad quality chatter is dead. Guitar companies know what the pulse is. People complain that Gibson isn't evolving, so that try to make new models and new gimmicks that nobody likes. At least they tried. Then the chatter was Gibson is too expensive. Now we have $1k - $1.5k solid-wood Gibsons.

So internet chatter is a big part of the evolution. It's even bigger in tech-centric products like DAWs, plugins and interfaces. It was 20 years ago when these forums first popped up and companies planted mythical usernames amongst the masses. It's a very real thing.

In closing, there is absolutely nothing that I did not understand from your latest rant in my threads. Look, I don't know what it is, but this is not the first time you sat back and slung some stuff in my direction. I would appreciate it if you stopped. All's I ever tried to do towards you was be supportive. I guess that's a crime nowadays, too. We're all adapting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

BluesKing777.

I know what you are saying.   I agree.    

I do know up here in Canada. Those little mis steps on Gibsons part never get back to them  . 

In 2016 I bought from a 5 star dealer a new Ltd Edition SJ200 flame maple back and sides. I mean just super. I was so blind to its beauty that after getting it home it stayed in the case for a week or so as I had other projects going on. I was so thrilled, sounded great and a beauty. Well, what happened next taught me a lesson quick. I got to looking over the guitar real good, I mean actually paying attention to every detail. All of a sudden right before my eyes all this time the center strip on the back was off center to the neck join at the top of the back by 1/4".  It stuck out like a sore thumb. I really got mad about it and upset with myself for not seeing it before I brought it home. This is what Gibson the best in the world put out on a $4,000 guitar. So, I took pics, wrote Gibson how disappointed I was with the workmanship as I held them as God of guitars.  The e-mail went to the dealer, the dealer passed it along. A week or so later I was advised to return it, they would make me a new one. Shoddy workmanship, poor QC or whatever, it all could have been avoided if I had taken responsibility to be sure of what I was purchasing in the first place. I learned a valuable lesson of which has changed how I buy Gibson or any other brand. Just as a added note when I drop thousands of dollars on a guitar it better be up to the highest of standards. So if you see something that really causes you concern....take action. Look over real good what you're buying before you get it home ! [-X

On 8/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, freebyrd said:

In 2016 I bought from a 5 star dealer a new Ltd Edition SJ200 flame maple back and sides. I mean just super. I was so blind to its beauty that after getting it home it stayed in the case for a week or so as I had other projects going on. I was so thrilled, sounded great and a beauty. Well, what happened next taught me a lesson quick. I got to looking over the guitar real good, I mean actually paying attention to every detail. All of a sudden right before my eyes all this time the center strip on the back was off center to the neck join at the top of the back by 1/4".  It stuck out like a sore thumb. I really got mad about it and upset with myself for not seeing it before I brought it home. This is what Gibson the best in the world put out on a $4,000 guitar. So, I took pics, wrote Gibson how disappointed I was with the workmanship as I held them as God of guitars.  The e-mail went to the dealer, the dealer passed it along. A week or so later I was advised to return it, they would make me a new one. Shoddy workmanship, poor QC or whatever, it all could have been avoided if I had taken responsibility to be sure of what I was purchasing in the first place. I learned a valuable lesson of which has changed how I buy Gibson or any other brand. Just as a added note when I drop thousands of dollars on a guitar it better be up to the highest of standards. So if you see something that really causes you concern....take action. Look over real good what you're buying before you get it home ! [-X

I'm glad you and they were able to get it sorted. That is a mighty fine looking guitar you got there, btw.

I had sort of a similar story on my Hummingbird, but it did get taken care of on a local level without needing to be escalated. It was replaced with the HB I have today.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:37 PM, RBSinTo said:

All I think of when I look at this guitar is that the bridge looks like the moustache of the man on the Monopoly game cards.

RBSinTo

I've been thinking a fat Rollie Fingers style mustache.  (Baseball Pitcher from the 70's-80's, for those who don't know)  Maybe a cross between is and Sam Elliot's.  🙂