Gibson Brands Forums

Strapped or strapless.

Roxx

I have started using a strap in my studio. I am comfortably kicked back in a chair while recording. I was nervous that I would let my guitar slip off my lap as I adjusted and tweaked my settings. I like sitting in a studio situation, but I am constantly doing something that requires both hands and it is difficult to pull plugs and sliders with a guitar balanced in your lap. So I am now strapping up while in the sitting position for the safety of my loving guitar.  Sometimes I am not very bright and must learn the hard way.  I feel more secure now and don't panic in a session. I am living under the old advice of "better safe than sorry". 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roxx said:

I have started using a strap in my studio. I am comfortably kicked back in a chair while recording. I was nervous that I would let my guitar slip off my lap as I adjusted and tweaked my settings. I like sitting in a studio situation, but I am constantly doing something that requires both hands and it is difficult to pull plugs and sliders with a guitar balanced in your lap. So I am now strapping up while in the sitting position for the safety of my loving guitar.  Sometimes I am not very bright and must learn the hard way.  I feel more secure now and don't panic in a session. I am living under the old advice of "better safe than sorry". 

I literally always am sitting down during my gigs and always use a guitar strap.  Adjusting my sound, shaking hands with friends coming in, adjusting my chair, reaching for my coffee, just not thinking straight for a few moments, jeans that are kind of slick:   All can cause the guitar to slide from my lap.  Wearing a guitar strap pretty much eliminates the chances of that.  I totally agree with you.

A strap even with sitting on a stool or chair helps to maintain the "neck up" position making it easier for me.   I have carpal in both hands, so wrist positions important for me  especially during long sessions.  I've considered buying a Neck Up Strap just for this reason.

• Thanks 1

I finally realized the importance of straps a year or so ago when I started taking up the 5string banjo again.  They weigh nearly 3x as much as a guitar, all in the 'pot' and with a resonator - are very unwieldy.  You need a strap to even out the weight and to keep the neck in the right place.  And, certainly to keep it safe.  That point was hammered home a couple of weeks ago - sitting on my coffee table, with my H'bird TV on my lap - I turned and reached over to the couch for my tuner. the guitar tilted and fell.  I didn't have the strap around my shoulder, but I was able to grab the strap just in time -  to keep the guitar from hitting the deck.   I use to find them in the way - nevermore.   I use to feel they were a pain taking on and off to put in the case.  Then I realized, I leave them hanging on the wall 99% of the time.    

Again, because of their uniqueness - banjoes are a little different to strap up than guitars.  I found a small company in OK that makes really nice ones for both.  Lakota Leathers.  They use buffalo  (which is technically American Bison)  and it is incredibly soft, supple and strong.  Their wider 3' strap distributes the weight on your shoulder really well.   

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Each of my guitars has its own strap, usually not taken off and on heavier guitars the eyelets are sewn smaller so they won't come off. These days I do play sitting down sitting down a lot, a while back I broke my ankle and started using a stool while I was healing. Also when sitting, I don't straddle it on my lap, I play with it resting mostly on my my right hip.

DVZe0q4.jpg

• Thanks 1

When learning a song I sit with the SG hanging on a strap at my hip. Play on the LP whether here or gig/jam standing up.

All my guitars have their own strap. Acoustic gigs are normally sitting down but still I use a strap, `tis safer.

• Like 1

I'm curious. Realising I'm in the minority here makes me wonder what knee you are resting the guitar on?

I'm right handed and rest the guitar on the left knee. To me this is secure enough not to need a strap.

In fact, I couldn't use a strap on my classical guitar even if I wanted to because it has no strap pin.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I'm curious. Realising I'm in the minority here makes me wonder what knee you are resting the guitar on?

I'm right handed and rest the guitar on the left knee. To me this is secure enough not to need a strap.

In fact, I couldn't use a strap on my classical guitar even if I wanted to because it has no strap pin.

Actually now that you mention it,  just looked at mine, no pins, forgot that(long time since I played it).

Just to clarify that when we do an acoustic gig I rest on the left knee also but still prefer to have a strap especially when playing the rebel songs, things can get physical.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I had a foot stool with my last classical guitar and no buttons.

A foot stool may be a wonderful aid ,but if you are bed ridden and partly paralyzed from the neck down.....

16 minutes ago, Roxx said:

A foot stool may be a wonderful aid ,but if you are bed ridden and partly paralyzed from the neck down.....

It was one specifically for the left foot when sitting to elevate your left knee to the correct classical guitar position. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac

I never wear a strap,  I do notice at times while playing with settings the guitar moves around but I never dropped one.  I rest it on my right knee.  I do change guitars a lot and have straps for each. Just don't use them sitting. 

• Like 1

I can barely play a lick without a strap. I have a big belly, and so it's impossible to rest a guitar comfortably on either knee.

But I also like to wear the guitar quite high and tilt the fretboard towards myself a little. I've got a personal trainer now, yet I don't think I'll change even once the belly has gone.

It does make it hard to try out guitars. Obviously if I know I'm going shopping I can take a strap, but wondering into a shop on a whim or trying a friend's guitar is harder.

The D'Addario / Planet Waves quick release system has vastly improved the use of all my straps. I like to attach at the headstock anyway. So you just need an endpin.

• Like 1

I much prefer sitting down to play, too, despite being a stand-up comedian.

I think, once again, that this is what I got used to. Unlike with comedy, you can practise guitar in your room for years before you venture on stage, which is what I did!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mihcmac said:

It was one specifically for the left foot when sitting to elevate your left knee to the correct classical guitar position. 🙂

I have one of these. The correct classical posture also helps holding the guitar securely I think. 

In the studio I just keep a stand nearby if I need to attend to anything else. Especially in my studio, which is quite small.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I have one of these. The correct classical posture also helps holding the guitar securely I think. 

In the studio I just keep a stand nearby if I need to attend to anything else. Especially in my studio, which is quite small.

what would be the correct height to elevate the left leg in order to properly position a Les Paul guitar? I need to get it right so my tone will remain within parameters and the instrument looks good in photo shoots.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Roxx said:

what would be the correct height to elevate the left leg in order to properly position a Les Paul guitar? I need to get it right so my tone will remain within parameters and the instrument looks good in photo shoots.

The foot rests are fully adjustable for height as we all vary physically. You need to adjust it for your own comfort.

By the bye; I have even experimented using the foot rest standing for live gigs. The idea was to help raise the left thigh to nudge the guitar into a better playing position. 

• Like 1