Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Durable Guitar Cord Needed


SteveFord
 Share

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Any sound degradation with that?  

That looks really slick.

One thing to consider is the 2.4GHZ usage for WiFi in your area, it is a very popular frequency for Hotspots, wireless routers and RC controllers. You may want to consider moving up to the next model that uses 5.8GHZ.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lately wireless transmitters/receivers are available, as technology gets better. But as always, beware of the cheap stuff.  The most important factor to watch when buying is LATENCY, measured in milli-seconds (thousandths of a second). The greater this number, the more time it takes for the signal you play to be heard on the amp side. This delay is inherent to the functioning of the electronics chips in the units, not the distance to the amp. 

The Line6  G10 are OK with a declared delay of 2.9 milli-seconds, more expensive models have this number at 1.5 milli-seconds, which is even better. There are makers of cheaper models on the market, with a  delay of like 12 milliseconds, which in my view is too much.  One might sometimes notice a slight delay when playing, which can be annoying. So, when buying, always watch for LATENCY in the specifications - SMALLER IS BETTER.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I keep hearing good things about Line 6 Relay. 

 

I have the G30,  it works flawlessly.  The battery door is a bit of a kludge though.  Line 6 didn't do a great job with that,  I keep one of those elastic hair ties around it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do those wireless ones work good? I was having the same cracking and posing noises and finally got sick of it and thew mine away. I bought two  different sets and the ones I'm using now are Red Dragon with Gold jacks. Tube amp and a Casino with P-90's, I sit and play about 2 feet away from my amp and haven't had any issues since. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Retired said:

Do those wireless ones work good? I was having the same cracking and posing noises and finally got sick of it and thew mine away. I bought two  different sets and the ones I'm using now are Red Dragon with Gold jacks. Tube amp and a Casino with P-90's, I sit and play about 2 feet away from my amp and haven't had any issues since. 

 

They work good.  Much better than when they first were available about 20 years ago.  Those were just tone sponges,  they robbed you of a lot of your guitars sound. 

I use these 2 setups. 

Getaria Wireless

I use this as a backup and a bit of a convenience setup since there's no power pack required for the receiver.  They will charge with a standard smart phone style charger.  you can get a few hours out of a charge.  These are cheap, 60 bucks, and yes, they work.  a few of the guys in my band use them too.

Line 6 G30

The Line 6 is more rugged, and has a better range, with less latency.   Not as cheap (200 bucks) but not as expensive as other setups.   The G10 is a bit more expensive (300+ bucks) has more range.

As mentioned above OrindayNimda, latency is something to consider, but I don't notice any problems even with the Getaria.  And I use it quite a lot. 

Try the Getaria, for 60 bucks,  it's about the cost of a really good cable.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Getaria 5.8Ghz ordered...  $57, delivered tomorrow.  Woo hoo - gonna wireless it up 🙂

dude!!!  you're gonan love it..   it's like the s*x without a condom! \:D/

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought 5 various expensive instrument cables 20 years ago. I 'retired' one of them 3 years ago. The others are going strong still and will likely see me out.

The retired one lasted 17 years of gigging before beginning to sound noisy. That thing paid for itself many times over. It earned its retirement. 

The cheap cables I used as a youngster all became noisy within a couple of months, which meant of course that they weren't really cheap at all. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since we are on the subject of high quality cables ...

I received a Lava solderless pedalboard kit as a gift from my brother.  I figured "oh cool, they'll match and I can make custom lengths". What I wasn't expecting though was the improvement of my overall signal quality.  It was like night and day.  I had no idea how much I was losing between 10 pedals.  The kit looks like this:

61wPjyedYFL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, kidblast said:

 

They work good.  Much better than when they first were available about 20 years ago.  Those were just tone sponges,  they robbed you of a lot of your guitars sound. 

I use these 2 setups. 

Getaria Wireless

I use this as a backup and a bit of a convenience setup since there's no power pack required for the receiver.  They will charge with a standard smart phone style charger.  you can get a few hours out of a charge.  These are cheap, 60 bucks, and yes, they work.  a few of the guys in my band use them too.

Line 6 G30

The Line 6 is more rugged, and has a better range, with less latency.   Not as cheap (200 bucks) but not as expensive as other setups.   The G10 is a bit more expensive (300+ bucks) has more range.

As mentioned above OrindayNimda, latency is something to consider, but I don't notice any problems even with the Getaria.  And I use it quite a lot. 

Try the Getaria, for 60 bucks,  it's about the cost of a really good cable.

Thanks Kid.  Hmmm, Free if I get a Amazon card! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Since we are on the subject of high quality cables ...

I received a Lava solderless pedalboard kit as a gift from my brother.  I figured "oh cool, they'll match and I can make custom lengths". What I wasn't expecting though was the improvement of my overall signal quality.  It was like night and day.  I had no idea how much I was losing between 10 pedals.  The kit looks like this:

61wPjyedYFL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

that looks like the G. Lynch kit.  I put a pedal board together in like 2000.  I used those to patch em all together.  20 years later, The same pedals, AND patch cables are still working today like they did when I set it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...