Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SteveFord

Durable Guitar Cord Needed

Recommended Posts

I have spent my entire life dealing with cracking, popping and dying guitar cords.

Who makes on that is as reliable as a doorknob?

Straight end/90 degree on the other is what's needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my extra heavy Roland cables they fixed my crackling problems.. 🙂

ric-b5a_gal.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Line6  Relay G10 is a very reliable "chord". 

I got tired of dealing with chords and went wireless. 

Bence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I ordered the Roland already, hopefully it will do the trick.

Thanks!

Don't forget your patch cords..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep hearing good things about Line 6 Relay. 

1 hour ago, btoth76 said:

Line6  Relay G10 is a very reliable "chord". 

I got tired of dealing with chords and went wireless. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Any sound degradation with that?  

That looks really slick.

One thing to consider is the 2.4GHZ usage for WiFi in your area, it is a very popular frequency for Hotspots, wireless routers and RC controllers. You may want to consider moving up to the next model that uses 5.8GHZ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planet Waves top of the line chord with the gold jacks has never failed me.  But like Bence I went wireless awhile ago.  I bought these for about $100 from Sweetwater.

F4qidVX.jpg

Plenty of range and no lag or interference.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I keep hearing good things about Line 6 Relay. 

 

It works very well. I have one for nearly a year now. No problems, or interference issues so far.

Bence.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lately wireless transmitters/receivers are available, as technology gets better. But as always, beware of the cheap stuff.  The most important factor to watch when buying is LATENCY, measured in milli-seconds (thousandths of a second). The greater this number, the more time it takes for the signal you play to be heard on the amp side. This delay is inherent to the functioning of the electronics chips in the units, not the distance to the amp. 

The Line6  G10 are OK with a declared delay of 2.9 milli-seconds, more expensive models have this number at 1.5 milli-seconds, which is even better. There are makers of cheaper models on the market, with a  delay of like 12 milliseconds, which in my view is too much.  One might sometimes notice a slight delay when playing, which can be annoying. So, when buying, always watch for LATENCY in the specifications - SMALLER IS BETTER.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I keep hearing good things about Line 6 Relay. 

 

I have the G30,  it works flawlessly.  The battery door is a bit of a kludge though.  Line 6 didn't do a great job with that,  I keep one of those elastic hair ties around it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do those wireless ones work good? I was having the same cracking and posing noises and finally got sick of it and thew mine away. I bought two  different sets and the ones I'm using now are Red Dragon with Gold jacks. Tube amp and a Casino with P-90's, I sit and play about 2 feet away from my amp and haven't had any issues since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kidblast said:

The battery door is a bit of a kludge though.  Line 6 didn't do a great job with that,  I keep one of those elastic hair ties around it.

 

Kustom.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Retired said:

Do those wireless ones work good? I was having the same cracking and posing noises and finally got sick of it and thew mine away. I bought two  different sets and the ones I'm using now are Red Dragon with Gold jacks. Tube amp and a Casino with P-90's, I sit and play about 2 feet away from my amp and haven't had any issues since. 

 

They work good.  Much better than when they first were available about 20 years ago.  Those were just tone sponges,  they robbed you of a lot of your guitars sound. 

I use these 2 setups. 

Getaria Wireless

I use this as a backup and a bit of a convenience setup since there's no power pack required for the receiver.  They will charge with a standard smart phone style charger.  you can get a few hours out of a charge.  These are cheap, 60 bucks, and yes, they work.  a few of the guys in my band use them too.

Line 6 G30

The Line 6 is more rugged, and has a better range, with less latency.   Not as cheap (200 bucks) but not as expensive as other setups.   The G10 is a bit more expensive (300+ bucks) has more range.

As mentioned above OrindayNimda, latency is something to consider, but I don't notice any problems even with the Getaria.  And I use it quite a lot. 

Try the Getaria, for 60 bucks,  it's about the cost of a really good cable.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Getaria 5.8Ghz ordered...  $57, delivered tomorrow.  Woo hoo - gonna wireless it up 🙂

dude!!!  you're gonan love it..   it's like the s*x without a condom! \:D/

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought 5 various expensive instrument cables 20 years ago. I 'retired' one of them 3 years ago. The others are going strong still and will likely see me out.

The retired one lasted 17 years of gigging before beginning to sound noisy. That thing paid for itself many times over. It earned its retirement. 

The cheap cables I used as a youngster all became noisy within a couple of months, which meant of course that they weren't really cheap at all. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we are on the subject of high quality cables ...

I received a Lava solderless pedalboard kit as a gift from my brother.  I figured "oh cool, they'll match and I can make custom lengths". What I wasn't expecting though was the improvement of my overall signal quality.  It was like night and day.  I had no idea how much I was losing between 10 pedals.  The kit looks like this:

61wPjyedYFL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought that G major was a pretty durable chord   😄 

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, kidblast said:

 

They work good.  Much better than when they first were available about 20 years ago.  Those were just tone sponges,  they robbed you of a lot of your guitars sound. 

I use these 2 setups. 

Getaria Wireless

I use this as a backup and a bit of a convenience setup since there's no power pack required for the receiver.  They will charge with a standard smart phone style charger.  you can get a few hours out of a charge.  These are cheap, 60 bucks, and yes, they work.  a few of the guys in my band use them too.

Line 6 G30

The Line 6 is more rugged, and has a better range, with less latency.   Not as cheap (200 bucks) but not as expensive as other setups.   The G10 is a bit more expensive (300+ bucks) has more range.

As mentioned above OrindayNimda, latency is something to consider, but I don't notice any problems even with the Getaria.  And I use it quite a lot. 

Try the Getaria, for 60 bucks,  it's about the cost of a really good cable.

Thanks Kid.  Hmmm, Free if I get a Amazon card! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Since we are on the subject of high quality cables ...

I received a Lava solderless pedalboard kit as a gift from my brother.  I figured "oh cool, they'll match and I can make custom lengths". What I wasn't expecting though was the improvement of my overall signal quality.  It was like night and day.  I had no idea how much I was losing between 10 pedals.  The kit looks like this:

61wPjyedYFL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

that looks like the G. Lynch kit.  I put a pedal board together in like 2000.  I used those to patch em all together.  20 years later, The same pedals, AND patch cables are still working today like they did when I set it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rabs said:

I always thought that G major was a pretty durable chord   😄 

it is...  definitely  second only to A major

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...