Gibson Brands Forums

Possible to have 1965 ES-125TD?

I have what I think is a 1960's ES-125TD. It has two P-90 pickups and no cutaways. It's lacking most of its original parts except for what I thought was the original neck and body.

I recently looked up the serial number (279624) and found it to be a 1965 model. Gibson stopped making the ES125-TD in 1963 though. Is it possible that the neck came from a different instrument? I find it suspicious that both a second pickup and two pots would have been added at a later date. Is there another model I'm not considering? Any info would be appreciated. Photos are attached.

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

Edited by thegoldstandard
Typo in subject

You are correct with your details on the years of manufacture of this family of models.  It would appear to me that what you have is a modified (added pickup) 1965 ES-125T.  The telltale sign is the odd/unusual placement of the volume and tone knobs for the (presumably added) bridge pickup.

Here is the normal placement of knobs on a two-pickup model:

e3hxf3znijckwaqrpmdt.jpg

Hope this helps.  Still a cool old guitar.  Does it play well and stay in tune?  Hope you are enjoying it!

Edited by JimR56

Thanks for the info! Your theory makes a lot of sense based on the photo you shared. The bridge pickup looked a little janky to begin with, but I attributed that to a less than ideal pickup replacement job. Good sleuthing!

It sounds pretty good and manages to stay in tune. The jack and pickup toggle are in rough shape, as both need a wiggle sometime for the guitar to output a signal. I wanted to figure out what this Frankenguitar is, so I could better decide what kind of investment to make in it. It's probably overdue for a tune-up, as I've owned it for 10 years but it doesn't get as much love since it's no longer my primary electric.