Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Dove

kmrgibson

Hi. Can anyone tell me what year Gibson started stamping the S/N on the back of the headstock on the Gibson Dove? Also, did the original Dove (circa '62) come with a tuneomatic type bridge? If it did, would the saddles have been nylon?

Thanks in advance.

They were doing it in the 1950's when I worked at CMI (Chicago Musical Instrument Co. 7300 N. Cicero Avenue.) They owned Gibson ( guy named Arnold Berlin -- and Mr. Madden -- nice guys). The guitars were all stamped with serial numbers on the headstock -- they came to CMI from Michigan (Kalamazoo factory). At that time they also had Epiphone (came from Ohio) and the amplifiers came from some other place (lots of electronics assembly int he Midwest in those days -- Zenith, Philco, GE, Motorola -- it was a no-smoke stack industry. CMI also owned Lowery Organs and Olds (brass) band instruments and Scandelli accordions (from Italy). They sold a ton of instruments and did a lot of repairs too. Gibson guitars were close to perfect when they shipped. A guitarist named Johnny Rector did a lot of inspecting and approving -- both for new and repairs. They had several Italian craftsmen who fixed anything on the guitars -- perfectly. Then A German guy named Vince with a big pipe he smoked all the time (meerschaum). They were **the best** and I think they still are ..

Archived