Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitars and a quick question about https://forum.gibson.com/topic/158779-new-guitars-and-a-quick-question-about-distance-jamming/distance jamming.

duane v

Howdy Folks!!!

I hope all of you have been staying safe and all that jazz.

I picked up two more guitars last week and they're both great little axes.

I have a quick question about distance jamming: One of my best friends was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer and he's been going through some serious  chemotherapy over the last few months and he's starting to feel much better since the diagnosis. Well he wants to come over and jam with me and he likes playing my guitar and just jamming with people in general. I have a large enough jamming room  1200 square feet with a drum-set , full blown PA and everything setup and ready to plug in. The main concern is making sure the guitars he's going to play is wiped down with disinfectant wipe, and I want to make sure it doesn't hurt the finish. Or should I polish the guitars with the Gibson stuff 72 hours ahead? We will all be wearing masks to make sure he's protected.

83F60999_5BB9_4C45_9D6C_66E97BD76C49_les

1CA19B48_BD03_4FB6_82C2_0C5AAF24959D_Gib

• Like 4

Really purdy !    

From what I've read from the medical experts - there isn't much consensus about whether CV19 actually  spreads via surface contamination.  Some say virus dies after 72 hours, some say UV light.   Clearly they could never agree on 'what are the best strings? !    I would not put anything other than mild anti-bacterial soap and water on a damp cloth on those. And, if the nitro is less than a year old - I wouldn't put anything except distilled H2O on a damp cloth.    My first choice would be to ask your friend to bring his own guitar.  You can wipe down amps and things w/ disinfectant.   Hope he continues to do well. My wife has had two bouts with cancer in the past 6 years: first lung, then just before the pandemic - breast.   You can't put them in a bubble - I've learned.   Good Luck ! 

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Like 1

Thanks for the response.

I hope your wife is doing well.

My friend has guitars that are not exactly player friendly, which is why he likes to come over and play my guitars. I think what I can do is select 8 guitars he can play and clean them with the Gibson spray. I put on gloves and a mask while doing this.... I'll do it 3 days prior to him coming over.

Him and is wife want to make memories of things he really likes to do, as his life prognosis is about two years. 

Hey Duane..  geeze that is tough news  about your buddy.  Cancer is awful, but the treatments are often worse.  there's been a lot of cancer in my wife's family.  I've lost two brother inlaws, and she's had two brushes her self since 2009.   She's okay now but man, those were some dark days for us.

I really hope all turns out well for him.

About the Guitar stuff.

I've routinely wiped my strings down for many years with a piece of clean cotton that has been dampened with a small amount of rubbing alcohol.  It evaporates really fast, and I would have to think it would disinfect anything that has been wiped down with it.  what do you think?

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I forget the percentage but I read that vodka won't do the trick.  Has to be a really high concentration. 

well thankfully there are still a few things Vodka is good for,, in fact, I'm testing that theory RIGHT now..  Dirty Marty's anyone??

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 3:40 PM, duane v said:

Thanks for the response.

I hope your wife is doing well.

My friend has guitars that are not exactly player friendly, which is why he likes to come over and play my guitars. I think what I can do is select 8 guitars he can play and clean them with the Gibson spray. I put on gloves and a mask while doing this.... I'll do it 3 days prior to him coming over.

Him and is wife want to make memories of things he really likes to do, as his life prognosis is about two years. 

What you are doing is great.

You're a true friend. Nice going =D>

Sorry to hear about your friend Duane. It is a nice thing you're doing, and with all the precautions you are taking it should be plenty safe. Let us know how it goes.

Beautiful guitars BTW. I usually prefer rosewood but that maple looks awesome. 

On 7/14/2020 at 6:42 PM, MissouriPicker said:

Duane, I regret that I’ve never had the honor of meeting you.  The world needs people like you.

Agree -    To twist P.T. Barnum's  marketing gem  -  ".... most of the people, most of the time, but not all of the people all of the time - are good!"

But  what Duane is doing  is exceptional.  

Some day,  most of us will be in a similar situation - knowing what we loved to do for decades, only has a few grains of sand left in the hourglass of our lives.   Like the other old cliche -   you never see a headstone that reads  "I wish I'd spent more time in the office."    As I ease into my 8th year of retirement - I am more proactive in making sure I pick up a guitar every day.   And feed the dogs.  

• Sad 1

Face masks, until you're all done. Then a thorough wash of hands before taking the mask off. If you all wear masks and don't exhibit symptoms, he should be fine. 

If it survives on surfaces for X amount of days, you'd literally need to disinfect every fiber inside every case. I would focus on no droplets entering each other's mouths, noses or eyes. 

Sorry to hear about your friend. That's one helluva fight. 

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Sorry Duane

It came much quicker than expected...

It really did, and what made things even more tragic his 22 year old son Cruz was found dead in his dorm by Mike and his mom this past October when they hadn't heard from him in three days. Basically half his family gone in a matter of two months. So we are in direct support of Kirsten his wife and his other son Jesse..... 2020 has been unreal for sure. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, duane v said:

It really did, and what made things even more tragic his 22 year old son Cruz was found dead in his dorm by Mike and his mom this past October when they hadn't heard from him in three days. Basically half his family gone in a matter of two months. So we are in direct support of Kirsten his wife and his other son Jesse..... 2020 has been unreal for sure. 

They are lucky to have your support for sure. That part of the tragedy is at least inspiring. Here's wishing all of you better tomorrows.

The title of the thread caught my attention, but the reason was completely unexpected. This was not at all how I thought the thread would continue. My heart goes out to the family, may they both rest in peace and may those left behind find comfort during what must be an incredibly difficult time for them. It's great you were able to spend time with him and offer him a chance to do what he loves. 

• duane v changed the title to New Guitars and a quick question about https://forum.gibson.com/topic/158779-new-guitars-and-a-quick-question-about-distance-jamming/distance jamming.
  • 2 months later...