Gibson Brands Forums

Strings for J15

6shooter

My J15 came with Gibson 80/20 Bronze Lights 12-53, or so I am told by Gibson.  I want that same sound so I was going to replace with those when I saw the Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Bronze Wound strings?  I can't find a description for the differences.  Anyone have experience with these two?  If there is a "premium" alternative I have to ask!

I think much of it has to do with separating us from our money. I just recently purchased a new J15, my first. I wanted to try some mediums so I went with a pack of phospor bronze mediums by D'Addario, I think it said 80/20 on the pack though I don't have it in front of me.  

I don't hear a big difference between these and the fresh 12-53's (lights , also by d'addario) I threw on it immediately after purchase but, I will continue playing these mediums for now...

Edited by Lou Theeur

On 7/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, 6shooter said:

My J15 came with Gibson 80/20 Bronze Lights 12-53, or so I am told by Gibson.  I want that same sound so I was going to replace with those when I saw the Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Bronze Wound strings?  I can't find a description for the differences.  Anyone have experience with these two?  If there is a "premium" alternative I have to ask!

I've used MB 80/20 and PBs.   They are decent strings but I can only get about 6 weeks out of them before they just loose all their tonal luster.

GHS was making Masterbuilts for Gibson,  and you can still get MB strings if you look on Amazon.  There's a J200 string set too, same as the Masterbuilts but a silk wrapped end.

Suggestion if you are interested.  I've recently gone back to Cleartone Strings. They are treated but you'd never know to touch and play them.,

Have a very long "play" life.  so far, I'm liking them more than Elixirs which I've used for years. I don't like the way their coating starts to shred after about 3 weeks.  These cleartones, don't seem to do that, and they are about the same $ wise.  One one of my Dreads, I've had them on for about a month and a half, they are still as clear and articulate as the day I put em on and no coating shredding that I can see.  just as a note, I put J200 strings on my SJ-200 about a week after I restrung my dread.  Those were deader than door nails and were swapped out yesterday.

Edited by kidblast

Thanks, needed some feedback.  I guess I will start the string journey.  I run Elixirs on my Taylor and I know that is not what I want on the J200.  I'll check out those cleartone strings too.

Edited by 6shooter