Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions for deep scratch in nitro finish?

seanm

So I took the guitar to a shop for setup a while back and the guys there had no idea what they were doing.  A month or so later I noticed that they also scratched the finish around the height adjustment knobs on the bridge, all the way down to the wood in one spot!  It's a Les Paul Special (so a flat top) with an ebony nitro finish.  

I don't mind dents and scratches from wear and tear but seeing these ones from just carelessly scraping pliers on the finish really irritates me!  Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again?  Pics:

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

Ugh. That's terrible. You loosen the strings and then turn those knurled knobs with your fingers, not a pair of pliers. Amateurs.

The trouble with using a sharpie is that the colour often dries with a slight purple tint rather than deep black. You could try a spot of black nail polish or actual black paint. A (decent) luthier or furniture repair man could do an invisible repair but it will cost you...

On 7/14/2020 at 7:35 PM, tx-ogre said:

I have never used these before, but they come in a variety of colors, including Black Opaque Lacquer:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/materials-and-supplies/finishing-supplies/colors-and-tints-and-stains/colortone-touch-up-marker.html

I have used these, they work good for small areas like that.  kind of like a drop and fill technique. 

7 hours ago, kidblast said:

I have used these, they work good for small areas like that.  kind of like a drop and fill technique. 

Good to know.  I will keep that in mind should I need to do any minor repairs.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:17 AM, sunking101 said:

Ugh. That's terrible. You loosen the strings and then turn those knurled knobs with your fingers, not a pair of pliers. Amateurs.

That does indeed look like a pair of pliers were used. 

I know, because I've done it myself before I realized you should loosen the strings and you don't need pliers. To my credit, I put some cloth in between so I didn't wreck the knobs. 

It's one of... probably three wise choices I've made on this planet. Us Asparagus Rexes didn't become extinct for nothin', you know. 

19 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

well yes,,, we've already discussed that...  

and please.. don't use a sharpie,  it will end up looking like crap.

On the one hand.... You just paid a lot of money for a new instrument and you want it to be as clean as possible for as long as you can keep it.

On the other hand... It is the nature of every guitar that gets played to become ding'd and scratched.

Psychologically you may feel upset because the scratches here don't involve self-inflicted or 'natural' patina... But my opinion is that with Gibsons you really need to accept the easy dents that come with a lacquer finish. If anything maybe call back the shop and tell them about the damages if only for their own awareness and self improvement?? Maybe they'll throw in a few free set ups down the line if you're trying to be helpful about it and not malicious. 

On 7/25/2020 at 4:34 AM, mr.chEn said:

On the one hand.... You just paid a lot of money for a new instrument and you want it to be as clean as possible for as long as you can keep it.

On the other hand... It is the nature of every guitar that gets played to become ding'd and scratched.

Psychologically you may feel upset because the scratches here don't involve self-inflicted or 'natural' patina... But my opinion is that with Gibsons you really need to accept the easy dents that come with a lacquer finish. If anything maybe call back the shop and tell them about the damages if only for their own awareness and self improvement?? Maybe they'll throw in a few free set ups down the line if you're trying to be helpful about it and not malicious. 

These guys were armatures at best.  There's no need on earth to use anything other than your fingers to move those wheels.  You first detune the strings to take the stress off the bridge, make the adjustment, and retune.  Repeat as needed.   That's the process.   They neglected to do that.   Forcing it like they did also damages the threads.  

These guys should not be getting anywhere near peoples guitars with tools.