Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Owners. Which pick thickness is your preference for that nectar tone?

ALD323

I always enjoyed Dunlop Ultex .73 picks with my Hummingbird 6 strings. Warmer and slightly firmer than the Tortex, slightly less sharp tip and a slower attack. Really lovely for bringing out the nectar. Can sound a little dull with my usual Maple instruments but perfect to coax out the warm nectar flow of a Hummingbird.

31 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I know I'll be the odd man out here...but this is what I use....if required, I'll use the 'Medium". They have them in "Thin" but I never use them.... I have literally HUNDREDS of these picks.  I've used them for over 50 years.

No photo description available.

Used them all my life. Arthritis sent me looking for a better grip. Always used heavy. 

7 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I know I'll be the odd man out here...but this is what I use....if required, I'll use the 'Medium". They have them in "Thin" but I never use them.... I have literally HUNDREDS of these picks.  I've used them for over 50 years.

No photo description available.

6 hours ago, Dave F said:

Used them all my life. Arthritis sent me looking for a better grip. Always used heavy. 

Yes - you are both very odd. 

😂 Pardon me, only joking. . 

14 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes - you are both very odd. 

😂 Pardon me, only joking. . 

The attractive feature as a young hard playing kid was as one corner broke off you just rotate it 120 degrees and keep playing and still had a good chunk to hold on to. One of our members here refers to some of my photos that have the pick on a guitar as a Doritos Chip.

Two out of three.

RW and 12fretters

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dave F said:

I started using them when I was playing bass.... then just got used to them...now, of course, the arthritis dictates I use something my crippled old hands can hold on to.

13 hours ago, Dave F said:

The attractive feature as a young hard playing kid was as one corner broke off you just rotate it 120 degrees and keep playing and still had a good chunk to hold on to. One of our members here refers to some of my photos that have the pick on a guitar as a Doritos Chip.

Two out of three.

RW and 12fretters

Yes.... I believe you can see the "Dorito Chips" in several photos of my guitars....

I'm actually kind of pleased that I'm not the only one who uses these massive plectrums!

By the way..... "Old" is a relative term.    If all your relatives are old...chances are you are too!

There's a sort of odd shaped pick I picked up a few thicknesses of on a string purchase last Spring. I find them a little bit easier to manage on more annoying arthritis days. This particular one is 1.14mm has become one of my favorites along with the blue(1.0mm). Also, for regular picks on bad days, those plack rubber pick grips posted above are nifty.

86b65eb1c1c49504b75e5a7e40a0dc68_380x0.j

On 10/18/2021 at 5:58 PM, Dave F said:

Two out of three.

RW and 12fretters

I just checked a photo I posted earlier of my "Gibson Acoustic Herd"....a Dorito Chip in every guitar!

Open photo

19 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

That Bird sounds GOOD !

Those folks do some great demos. I really enjoy my HB Standard, but those "1960's" have a whole next level warm fuzzy tone to them. Just like with the one from the Empire video.  Mine has a bolder sort of tone that's pretty in it's own way. Plus it's the Battle Axe's favorite.

• Like 2

You don’t need many picks! Just the right one. D’addario’s Keith Urban Medium Picks is what I use. It will give you all 3 tones you are after.

1) Warm - Use the rounded side of the pick

2) Bright - Use the regular pick tip end

3) Grit (Distortion) - Use “The Edge” or dimple side of the pick

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/picks-and-pick-holders/signature/keith-urban-signature-ultem-pick-series/item/daddario-keith-urban-signature-ultem-pick-bone-medium-5-pack-6908/

• 5 months later...

I use a .88 Jim Dunlop Maxi-Grip model most of times. What follows is my personal opinion, nothing less nothing more BC there's no objective truth in those unscientific matters and so to speak. I used to play with either .88 grey standard Jim Dunlops or 1.00 black Jim Dunlops before,  but Maxi Grip .88 sounds great: sharp & brilliant, VM precise on either trebles, mediums & lower tones. Neither noisy nor cold, but warm,  wide and larger spectrum of a kind.  My Gibson Hummingbird sounds incredible with those picks. Paradoxically, the sounds appears richer with .88 than 1.00 i don't know why. Besides, the Tortex models made by Dunlop may sound quite interesting as well (depends on what kinda music is played); whatever .88 Maxi Grip Dunlops are great.

All the best!

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Wegens and Bluechips, 1.0.

Quit being so cheap.

Lots of folks everywhere scoff at the notion of $35 plectrums. I'm not one of them. I got to try them out at their booth in last Septembers World of Bluegrass festival and bought two on the spot. I had my favored picks in my pocket. The difference was obvious and surprising. A TD-40 and a TD-45(1.14mm). The TD-45 is particularly nice for me.

The Wegans are pretty good, too, at about 1/4 the price. The D140B and the D180B are surprisingly easy to strum with despite their thicknesses.

I'm not saying to anyone that these picks were worth $35 of your money. They were to me, though.

• Like 1