Gibson Brands Forums

1968-1972 les paul custom?

Tlgptru

A friend of mine contacted me about a gibson les paul custom, he is struggling to id this guitar. The owner says guitar was made between 1968-1972. It has sprague black beauty caps. The headstock heavily damaged. And serial is not clear but i think  5705203. Hope u help me. Thanks

Google images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1968-1972+les+paul+custom&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiXxq_4kNTqAhXzSxUIHZzVBl0Q_AUoAnoECA4QBA&biw=1920&bih=1086#imgrc=DGq_Efp0JrputM

From what can be seen - which isn't enough -  it looks about right (and that's a typical Gibson headstock break) but the pickups have either been changed or had the covers removed.

If your friend is thinking about buying it it would need to be pretty cheap as fixing up that headstock will cost...and even then it will always be a LP with a headstock repair. 

It should have six numbers only until 1975, when they went to an oval decal. Is he able to read the pot codes? That would help narrow it down.

mBu9GNO.jpg

1376929 is the pot code on my ‘69 Les Paul Deluxe. The pot was made the 29th week of 1969.

16 hours ago, Grog said:

It should have six numbers only until 1975, when they went to an oval decal. Is he able to read the pot codes? That would help narrow it down.

mBu9GNO.jpg

1376929 is the pot code on my ‘69 Les Paul Deluxe. The pot was made the 29th week of 1969.

Thank you it really helped. It has very similar pot code. 1376902 . It looks like the guitar is original 69 custom. But the  7 digit headstock serial number is still confusing

That would make it an early 1969! It’s hard to say why it has an extra number in it’s serial #. It has over 50 years of history to tell. Is one of the numbers obviously off center? Could it have been stolen at one point? The serial # might have been altered to make it more difficult to trace........

1 hour ago, Grog said:

That would make it an early 1969! It’s hard to say why it has an extra number in it’s serial #. It has over 50 years of history to tell. Is one of the numbers obviously off center? Could it have been stolen at one point? The serial # might have been altered to make it more difficult to trace........

Thank you so much. That really make sense. 

44 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

With the crack repair in the back of the headstock,  I'd almost say head was replaced from another guitar.

That would account for oddball serial number 

Just guessing out loud 

At first i thought the same way, but the previous owner said that the guitar might be stolen 30 years ago.  So it explains 7 number serial

5 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Stolen would not account for a extra digit in the serial number.

I think putting extra number in serial number is easy than  putting another headstock. Neck wound matches with the headstock wound so i think headstock replacement is less possible than  adding extra digit to serial number.