Gibson Brands Forums

1934 L 00

JuanCarlosVejar

2 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I’ll have it!

Send it on over!

(She said she squealed like a girl when she played it first - so do I when I play my ‘37...😎).

BluesKing777.

Lawdy, have Mercy.  I would hate to think what a 12 fretter would do to you .   

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Lawdy, have Mercy.  I would hate to think what a 12 fretter would do to you .   

I would probably hurt my left hand as I tried to play the 14th! 🥶

Unless someone has one here for sale, chances of importing a 12 are zip these days. I have not seen or smelled one anywhere here, ever. Even the Waterloos are scarce now.....there is a 12 in maple with black top in the next state - I could be there in about a 7 hours drive, except the state border has the ‘ring of steel’ police virus lockdown. And I am not buying something I haven’t played, though a Waterloo could be high on the trusted build list. That 12 could be in my future. Just need to shake out and sell some lazy guitars from the closet first....no room!

So I just played my Waterloo 14 ladder braced, which makes approximately 2 people I know that like the ladder! You and I, ZW.... But fingerpicked versions of Careless Love or CCRider or Cocaine sound close to perfect on the chunky V neck and 2 3/8” bridge space.

As a comparison I grabbed my 1935 Gibson Black Special which I always say has the same neck as my Waterloos and while it is the coolest of cool to have, anything more than half a dozens tunes and a photo opportunity are plain hard work and possibly ....a sentence. 

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I would probably hurt my left hand as I tried to play the 14th! 🥶

Unless someone has one here for sale, chances of importing a 12 are zip these days. I have not seen or smelled one anywhere here, ever. Even the Waterloos are scarce now.....there is a 12 in maple with black top in the next state - I could be there in about a 7 hours drive, except the state border has the ‘ring of steel’ police virus lockdown. And I am not buying something I haven’t played, though a Waterloo could be high on the trusted build list. That 12 could be in my future. Just need to shake out and sell some lazy guitars from the closet first....no room!

So I just played my Waterloo 14 ladder braced, which makes approximately 2 people I know that like the ladder! You and I, ZW.... But fingerpicked versions of Careless Love or CCRider or Cocaine sound close to perfect on the chunky V neck and 2 3/8” bridge space.

As a comparison I grabbed my 1935 Gibson Black Special which I always say has the same neck as my Waterloos and while it is the coolest of cool to have, anything more than half a dozens tunes and a photo opportunity are plain hard work and possibly ....a sentence. 

BluesKing777.

I certainly do not want you to hurt yourself.  And I admit there are times when I will mutter to myself "if only this guitar had one more fret"  

But I know I was lucky to have found my 12 fret L1 which was one of the last of the Gibson 12 fretters.  And no doubt, there are probably a couple of hundred 14 fret L00s out there for every 12 fret version.   The best description though I have heard of the difference between a 12 and 14 fret guitar is it is like the difference between hitting a drum skin in the center as opposed to hitting it more off to the side nearer the rim.   The irony, of course, is today there are more 12 fret guitars available that at any time since maybe the beginning of WWII.

13 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I certainly do not want you to hurt yourself.  And I admit there are times when I will mutter to myself "if only this guitar had one more fret"  

But I know I was lucky to have found my 12 fret L1 which was one of the last of the Gibson 12 fretters.  And no doubt, there are probably a couple of hundred 14 fret L00s out there for every 12 fret version.   The best description though I have heard of the difference between a 12 and 14 fret guitar is it is like the difference between hitting a drum skin in the center as opposed to hitting it more off to the side nearer the rim.   The irony, of course, is today there are more 12 fret guitars available that at any time since maybe the beginning of WWII.

A quick look at the local wares for sale (online) and I see three 12 fretters in the whole country!

A National Tricone like I already own...

And 2 Waterloo 12 fretters, one in maple and the other all mahogany. Give me both! But no space - I have one guitar too many and it is parked on the floor in my music room instead of a rack. I was about to list some guitars at a music shop but they closed for virus lockdown. Anything without a neck I love is going soon, and some hard cuts will be made.......

Speaking  of necks and the bizarre world of Gibson......in an effort to see why I like some guitars, I have put the calipers on the nut after playing various. And have been shocked to discover my 2002 chunky neck J50 has not the claimed Gibson 1.725, but 1.736 - the same as my slightly wider necked Matons! No wonder I am fingerplucking away at it! More room! And then I nearly fell off my chair to see my 2005 Dove has a nut of 1 3/4”. Yep, 1 3/4”.....but the neck is way slimmer than my J50 and not quite as easy to fingerpluck. My Martins  are dead on spec but my custom Cargill is under.......

BluesKing777.

10 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Speaking  of necks and the bizarre world of Gibson......in an effort to see why I like some guitars, I have put the calipers on the nut after playing various. And have been shocked to discover my 2002 chunky neck J50 has not the claimed Gibson 1.725, but 1.736 - the same as my slightly wider necked Matons! No wonder I am fingerplucking away at it! More room! And then I nearly fell off my chair to see my 2005 Dove has a nut of 1 3/4”. Yep, 1 3/4”.....but the neck is way slimmer than my J50 and not quite as easy to fingerpluck. My Martins  are dead on spec but my custom Cargill is under.......

BluesKing777.

I assume that any guitar which is hand finished is going to have some slight variations in neck carve in both in terms of nut width and depth,    But the one spec that the builders tend to leave out and which is important to me is string spread at the bridge.  I only play with my fingers and so prefer a more generous spacing.   My 1920s through mid-1930s  Gibsons tend to clock in at around 2 3/8".   I would have to go back and check but I believe my '42 J50 has the "modern" 2 3/16" spread .  It is not  deal killer or anything.  But it  will take me 15 or 20 minutes after playing one of the older guitars to acclimate the the skimpier spacing.  And oddly, while it has to be a fig newton of my imagination, I find the string spacing actually feels wider when combined with a shallower neck carve.  

10 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I assume that any guitar which is hand finished is going to have some slight variations in neck carve in both in terms of nut width and depth,    But the one spec that the builders tend to leave out and which is important to me is string spread at the bridge.  I only play with my fingers and so prefer a more generous spacing.   My 1920s through mid-1930s  Gibsons tend to clock in at around 2 3/8".   I would have to go back and check but I believe my '42 J50 has the "modern" 2 3/16" spread .  It is not  deal killer or anything.  But it  will take me 15 or 20 minutes after playing one of the older guitars to acclimate the the skimpier spacing.  And oddly, while it has to be a fig newton of my imagination, I find the string spacing actually feels wider when combined with a shallower neck carve.  

The companies that make a 2 3/8" spacing usually put it in the specs.

Yep, 1 3/4" nut with 2 3/8" bridge spacing is just ideal for fingerpicking!

So we assume it is horrible for flatpicking?

All Waterloos have the 2 3/8"!

I can cook in a cramped little kitchen (my first flat with the front door opening and hitting the stove?) but prefer a large spacious kitchen!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777